Our Cruise Aboard the Carnival Dream, 3/22/14 - 3/29/14

krdougan

I am enjoying your review so far - we sail on the Dream from New Orleans next month. I hate that you lost your cooler. Carnival now has a rule on coolers that they can't be more than 12"x12"x12" and that isn't very big at all. I was looking for information on that a few months back and saw comments from several different people that said some of the ports were extremely strict on it.

I read somewhere that someone didn't check the cooler, they put a luggage tag on it and allowed it to go to the room with their luggage. Can you do that now with the cooler rule?

After dinner we all went our separate ways for a bit and then met up in various places across the ship. My wife and her friends met at the piano bar. However, the main guy in there got really mad at them during a song when they were talking while was trying to play/sing/lead a song. They weren’t talking loud, just having a normal conversation, but he stopped the music and snapped at them for talking. He asked if they would like for him to stop until they conversation was finished. Needless to say, they quickly left that bar and never went back. To be honest, he wasn’t a great singer anyway. From that night on, they ladies mostly hung out at the Blue Iguana bar up on the main deck.

Very good review and thanks but kind of rude to sit in piano bar and talk in voices loud enough to disturb others. If they wanted to talk plenty of other places to go.

POSITIVES:

I really felt the food on this ship was probably the best of any of the cruises I have been on. Yes, the dinner menu was the same. However, it just always seemed to be prepared very well. I also thought the lunch and breakfast options were all very good.

The miniature golf course was very nice. It was much nicer than any I had previously played on on a cruise ship.

The ship was extremely clean. I am always impressed by how clean they keep the ship.

NEGATIVES:

You are going to see more negatives here than positives. I am not sure why that is. Overall we had a great cruise. It might just be that since this is my 7th cruise on 6 different Carnival ships, I might be getting a bit more critical of them. So, don’t take these wrong, the Dream is a beautiful ship and we did have a great time.

I felt the service on this ship was really must worse than I had ever received on any of my previous cruises. I mentioned the poor dinner service, but our room steward was also the worst I have ever had. I think I saw him twice the whole trip. One day he didn’t even clean our room until dinner. Another day he completely forgot to give us beach towels. I am also used to having my ice bucket filled up each night, and he didn’t do that for us once on the trip and I never saw him to tell him. I was also not a big fan of Henne the cruise director. About halfway through the trip Henne left to go to some conference and his assistant took over. She was much, much better than Henne.

I am not a coffee drinker, but I had several people in our group complain about how bad the coffee was on the ship unless you paid extra down at the coffee shop. That was good they said.

I was disappointed in the shows. I have been on ships with hypnotists and magic shows. This ship had nothing exciting. He had a few dance shows and singing shows, and that was about it. I went to one of those, and I guess it was good if you like those kinds of things, but was disappointed in the lack of variety.

I have done Superstar Live Karaoke a couple times on some other ships. I really like it as it gives me a chance to sing with a live band and backup singers. They had it on this ship, but I only saw it on the first night and then one more time at 5:00 PM on the last ship day. That was disappointing.

I have already mentioned how bad the music was at the aft pool. I won’t go into it again.

This boat rocked more than any I have ever been on. It might not have been the ship’s fault, but man was it rocky.

I did not like that I was in line for guest services and then they closed the line for the muster drill. What made it worse was that I had to go back to the back of the line after the muster drill ended. I felt like they should have let those of us already waiting get priority. This way, I had to wait twice.

That’s everything I can think of. I am sure I will have more, but that is it for now. I hope you enjoyed my review!