Splendor Canada Cruise

jpurdy

Been watching the price sit at a standstill for quite some time since we booked with ES and hoping for some price drops. Done this cruise a few times, know it is more expensive out of NYC (kind of ridiculous actually), but enjoy driving to the port vs. flying. Any experts out there think it might drop. Ship does not appear to be filling up. Just can't justify $869 (without taxes) for a balcony, so we are booked with an inside for now.

We've done Canada almost every summer for the last five years (2 of them as b2bs) and this is the first year we're not mainly due to price. They used to do Canada all summer, but they cut back the schedule to a handful during the summer months (we can't take off in Sept and October for the longer cruises) and they feel that they can demand a higher price.

In past years the price for the first June cruises would drop around now (it was after final payment), but it's not happening this year even though they're giving away cruises to x number of people and doing $50 deposit specials. We have a problem justifying $1,400 for a four day when we paid ~$900 for nine last year (4 day+ 5 day). I feel CCL's pricing is comparable to what Disney was charging two years ago to go from NYC to Canada.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

This will be the first time out of NYC and also a Canada cruise. We have a 7-day booked in Sept for an inside cabin (deck 7) at 672/person including taxes and fees. I know when we booked in in mid-Jan, within a few days, it increased $60 and has pretty much been the same price since. I think any cruise at $100/person or less is a really good deal... Hoping the price will fall but if not, I like the deal I got.

Steve

I'm booked as well in and ES Inside, there is a small Roll Call going with 5 so far.

I'm loving the date, only need one day off from work. 2011 did the 5 day on the Glory during July 4th and it was a nice Independence Day celebration.

Last year again on the Glory but 4 day like this one, 4 days before sail I got an offer to upgrade to Balcony same deck for $200.

I think though since Carnival has cut back on all of the Canada sailings because of the new fuel requirements (does Splendor have scrubbers?) they ship will be full. Faster to the Fun has been listed as sold out but I still check it often as well.

Cut back on the sailings to Canada, put in a larger ship and I guess she will be fuller at a higher price. At least I'm sure Carnival is hoping this formula works.

FWIW

I agree, the prices for this cruise are crazy. We have done it in years past and have paid half of what they're showing now.

For a port such as St John that never seems to have nice weather, I think it's way overpriced.

Would like to do it again, but balconies are going for over 2 grand for 4 days. Crazy!

Edited by A.S.

I agree, the prices for this cruise are crazy. We have done it in years past and have paid half of what they're showing now.

For a port such as St John that never seems to have nice weather, I think it's way overpriced.

Would like to do it again, but balconies are going for over 2 grand for 4 days. Crazy!

I am banking on a price drop. Sure hope I am right!

We book 4Js and portholes because the weather isn't worth paying for a balcony (it was 30F and practically snowing one of the Dive-In movie nights last year). Both of our cabins ended up getting comp. upgraded from 4As to balconies due to cancellations.

We book 4Js and portholes because the weather isn't worth paying for a balcony (it was 30F and practically snowing one of the Dive-In movie nights last year). Both of our cabins ended up getting comp. upgraded from 4As to balconies due to cancellations.

Due to motion sickness issues, I have to stay mid-ship. Really don't want to stay on Decks 1-2 as we only use the stairs, so a balcony on decks 6 or 7 is ideal. We are on 6 in an inside square cabin, which I know is a good layout as we've been in them before. Would like the balcony for claustrophobic issues, but we can live with the inside.

• 1 month later...

I just booked this cruise for the 7/31 sailing and I'm hoping it comes down too! Hard to justify $650 for an instead cabin for 4 nights when I have paid that for longer cruises. I did it more for the convenience of leaving out of NY and cruising over a weekend. First time hubby and and I are cruising without our daughter and I didn't want to be away too long.

Just came back from a Disney cruise and paid less per person for a 4 nighter...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We booked the Splendor/Canada/NYC for Sept 27th for 2 pple cruise, inside cabin, taxes, prepaid grats and spa upgrade for $1758.00 total.

I thought that was a pretty good deal !

Our cabin in on deck 10 right below the spa.

Love the front of the ship, rocks you to sleep like a baby !

We've done Canada almost every summer for the last five years (2 of them as b2bs) and this is the first year we're not mainly due to price. They used to do Canada all summer, but they cut back the schedule to a handful during the summer months (we can't take off in Sept and October for the longer cruises) and they feel that they can demand a higher price.

In past years the price for the first June cruises would drop around now (it was after final payment), but it's not happening this year even though they're giving away cruises to x number of people and doing $50 deposit specials. We have a problem justifying $1,400 for a four day when we paid ~$900 for nine last year (4 day+ 5 day). I feel CCL's pricing is comparable to what Disney was charging two years ago to go from NYC to Canada.

Hate to hijack, but do you mind sharing some more info about Canada cruises. Is there much to do in the ports? Are there alot of kids in August? I know the weather is crazy but do you get any warm days? Thinking of the 5-day for next year and would love some insight. We've only ever done caribbean/bahamas cruises. I was also thinking of booking either two 4Js or a spa oceanview.

Hate to hijack, but do you mind sharing some more info about Canada cruises. Is there much to do in the ports? Are there alot of kids in August? I know the weather is crazy but do you get any warm days? Thinking of the 5-day for next year and would love some insight. We've only ever done caribbean/bahamas cruises. I was also thinking of booking either two 4Js or a spa oceanview.

Canada is nothing like the Caribbean. We prefer it because we don't like hot weather and there aren't pesky locals haggling you as soon as you get off the ship. We also enjoy that we can whale watch from the ship.

I think there is more to do in Halifax than there is in Saint John. Depending on the age of your group (I can't tell if you have children or are trying to avoid them) there's everything from Theodore Tugboat to tours of the Titanic cemetery and Citadel. We've done the Tugboat and the DuckTour. Both were pretty informational and the Duck Tour gave us a cool tour of the city. There's a cool market area/boardwalk that is fun to peruse. There's a Starbucks at the end of it, if you're in need of a caffeine fix.

We've never been to the Reversing Falls in Saint John (it has never been optimal when we were there), but I hear it's fun to either ride the jet boat or take the train over the falls. My niece is obsessed with zoos so we did take a short cab ride out to the zoo in Saint John last year. It's little, but it was a nice day. Saint John has a nice little mall/market that has a built in escalator system, so you don't have to hike up their very steep hills. Most of the pubs have wi-fi and you'll find crew members having a drink and using their laptops.

Depending on when you go in August there may not be many kids. We go as soon as our school system lets out and there are a fair number, but nothing like Spring Break or Christmas. I imagine the later into August the less kids there will be.

The weather in June for us is usually warm, but there's no humidity which is nice. We tend to be comfortable in skirts/capris and short-sleeve shirts. We just take a lightweight sweater or jacket with us in case it gets chilly. It will get cold at night on the ship and it was basically sleeting last year when we were trying to watch Tron on the Dive-In screens.

We are seriously sad we're not able to go this year on Carnival. I keep checking other lines, but nothing's jumping out at us.

Edited by Carnival_Brides