Newark to Cape Liberty Sept 20, 2014

sabreboss

Our Plan: We will be driving from southern Ohio to Newark on Wednesday Sept 17. We will probably use the Penna turnpike so we don't have to go north to hit I-80. We will be staying at the Best Western Robert Trent downtown Newark and use Newark Penn station to go to NYC on Thursday and Friday. Saturday we would drive to the port and use port parking for our cruise on RC Explorer of the Seas. Does that sound like a reasonable plan, and how hard will it be to drive into Newark and then from Newark to the port. Thanks for any help you can provide.

George

I really can't help you with the details of downtown Newark, but my advice would be to try to arrive when it is still daylight. What are you paying to park at the hotel? We need someone to give good advice about which turnpike exit to get off at and what route to take to your hotel.

You're going to have to monitor this board for discussions about the Pulaski Skyway closing which starts now. No one knows exactly how this is going to play out from a traffic standpoint, but you should be OK on a Sat morning. I don't know how long it's going to take the GPS's to be aware of this closure. Basically, you are going to retrace your steps back to the turnpike and take it to exit 14A understanding that it might take longer because of extra traffic from the Skyway.

What are you paying for the Robert Treat? How many people are you? Did you look at Candlewood Suites in Jersey City or the Ramada at Journal Square in Jersey City? Did you consider coming as far as Edison, NJ, getting a room on Hotwire, and checking into your mor local hotel for two nights instead of three?

Thanks for your reply Carol, There are 4 of us two couples, we sailed out of NYC a few years ago and stayed at the Hilton Penn Station, and thought the trip into the city was really convenient. The Robert Trent is only two blocks from Newark Penn Station, the room was $133 per night with free parking. We are just looking for an easy way into the city. I have read there is a bus, but do not remember from where. The room is refundable so we would definitely be open to any better suggestion you made have. We will definitely be out of our comfort zone driving in this area.Thanks for your help Maybe i should post on the Cape Liberty tread?

Okay - you have actually stayed in a downtown Newark hotel before and have seen the area, so no surprises there for you folks. I was actually going to try the Robert Treat for one night with no car, but it didn't work out. They advertise that their shuttle will drop you off at Newark Penn Station which is a good deal. Coming back, if the shuttle is not readily available, take a cab.

Normally we don't recommend downtown Newark to folks from the less urban areas of the US.

Please post a review when you come back. Also, keep watching this board for updates on the Pulaski Skyway closure situation.

Edited by 138east

I can offer some info on the area and transit to NYC for you. I live close by and know the area well. I must warn you to be careful in the area around the Robert Treat, especially at night. If there are events at the Prudential Center or the NJPAC, which are close by, there will be a lot of security in the area. Otherwise, it's not the greatest location. I don't know anything about the hotel, so I can't comment there. If you are going into Manhattan from Penn Station, the best and most economical way is by the PATH train. It costs $2.50 each way, and there are many stops in Manhattan (World trade/ground zero, 33rd st etc) Just google PATH trains and you can see the schedule and maps. You'll be in NYC in 20 minutes or so. There is a Hampton Inn in Harrison NJ that is across the river and in a better location. The Harrison PATH station is close by and is the first stop from Newark Penn station on the way to NYC. Just an option to explore. To get to the Cruise terminal, You're best bet is taking the NJ Turnpike. You can get onto the NJTPKE near Newark Airport. Follow signs towards Jersey City, Liberty State Park. Exit at 14a onto Rt 440 and follow the signs to the Port. We're all watching the Pulaski Skyway closing, but you will be traveling South of that area and on a Saturday, so I don't think that will impact you. Will have more info on that in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the reply Lobez. I looked into the Hampton Inn and it is a better price then the Robert Treat. It looks like it would be easier to get to also. I don't know much about downtown Newark, when we stayed at the Hilton Penn Station it had a covered walkway to the train so we never really went out side. I think I like the idea of the Hampton Inn better. We were just looking for an easy way into the city, thanks for your help