My Dawn Western Caribbean Cruise on March 23-30, 2014 Review with photos

FL Sunshine

Can you tell me what kind of retail shops they have on board?

The Dawn has jewelery, perfume & cosmetics, liquor and gift shops. They also set up tables in the atrium area to sell gold & silver chains by the inch, t-shirts etc.

I hope this helps.

Day 5

Costa Maya:

The Dawn pulled in next to the Epic at the dock. Our balcony was facing the Epic as we docked. The two ships backed into port. Now that's a big ship!

After breakfast at Cagney's we went to look around the port area. It has a couple of pools and many shops. One could spend the entire day there if they desired. I understand the food at this port is rather expensive though. My recommendation is to get out of the port area and explore what Costa Maya has to offer. It's beautiful!

My husband, his aunt and our daughter took an excursion through the ship to the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins. They enjoyed it very much.

I walked out of the port area and took a yellow cab to Majahual. It is about a 5 minute ride. Cab fare is a set rate at $2 per person to go there. Make sure you use a yellow cab. I shared a cab with two others on the way there and on the way back to port it was just me so I gave the cab driver $3. I probably should have given him more because he took me all the way into the port area. I just had to show the guard my key card. I felt completely safe.

Majahual was once a fishing village. There is a paved walking path called a Malecon. On one side of the Malecon is the beach area set up with tables, chair and lounge chairs on the other side is restaurants, bars and merchants. The idea is you buy drinks & food and you can use their part of the beach area for "free". Some even offer free wifi to entice you. They all want you to use their spot so they keep making deals. You can enjoy a nice day at the beach here for not much money, depending on how much you drink and eat. The food and drinks are not expensive.

I got there pretty early in the morning and it was rather peaceful for me. I can see how it could get rather "pushy" with more people arriving. I was there just to take a walk from one end of the beach to the other end by the lighthouse. My walk was very nice and relaxing. It was rather breezy that day so I didn't even feel hot. The further I got down the beach there were no shops or anything, just tropical beauty.

I stopped and talked to a couple of locals. One was a man trying to sell me fresh coconut. I shared that I was from Florida and that we have plenty of coconuts there. We talked about our similar climates etc. It was a nice chat. I also talked to a solo mariachi complete with a sombrero. He was just waiting around for more tourists to come to serenade them on the beach for tips. Eventually, I made it to the lighthouse and there was a yellow cab waiting there. My entire time cost me only $5. :)

When I got back to the port area I saw a long line of people buying tickets for the shuttle bus. My suggestion would be to skip the shuttle bus, walk outside of the port and take a yellow cab. The shuttle bus will make many stops on the way to your destination.

I got back to our cabin and ordered a BLT for lunch from room service. I was surprised that it was Rosh who delivered it. I am not use to this butler thing. I ate outside on the balcony. Thank you to the Epic for providing me shade. I showered while the others were still on their excursion, sat on the balcony and relaxed until they came back. It was nice listening to the music from both ships. I think they may have had a little competition going on.

My family and I started having conversations balcony to balcony with passengers on the Epic. It was more like yelling across. It was fun though. The Dawn was the first to leave. We discovered that we would all meet up again in Cozumel the next day. Remember when you have a balcony and are docked that close to another ship, you can see everything that goes on on those balconies. :eek:

We had dinner at the Venetian, saw the show then we were invited to attend the Chocoholic Buffet early. I took many photos. The chocolate sculptures were amazing.

I hope I am not forgetting anything.

Next stop Cozumel.....

Great review. We sail on the Dawn in May from Boston to Bermuda. Is Cagney's available for any guest to have breakfast or only for guests who have a suite?

Thank you!

Cagney's is available for breakfast and lunch for suite guests. It is a specialty restaurant for dinner. Remember that the main dining room is available for breakfast and lunch, if you prefer a more quiet place to dine.