questions about mariner

Sorry to ask so many questions, but we have just booked the mariner for August 14 and with little time to plan I have lots of questions. Is the windjammer open each night as an option instead of formal dining. Also, are there charges for the ice cream and charges for the rock climbing wall and miniature golf. Does anyone know if there is a waterslide. Thank you so much for the information.

I was just on the Mariner in May.

There is frozen yougurt at the pool are at no cost. There is also Ben and Jerry's on the Royal Promenade for a fee. I had Ben and Jerry's one night,but didn't try the fro yo.

The Windjammer is open every evening for dinner.

There is no waterslide.

Any other questions,just ask. I have all of the Compasses.We did the Western itinerary.

Brenda

Brenda,

Thank you so much for your response. We are also doing the Western. Did you find the pool(s) not even sure how many are there, to be crowded. Did you do any excursions. We have cruised before but never with RCI and just not quite sure what to expect. Thank you. Is the compass scanned somewhere that I could see them?

There is no charge for either the rock climbing wall or the mini golf. The hours for rock climbing are limited and you need to sign up in advance.

Excursions:

On the Western itinerary, depending on your interests, you could do your own excursions. If you like a beach AND snorkeling, get a $10 cab to Chankanaab Park. I forget the admission cost, maybe $10 pp (google search their site). The park has lots to do and see. They have Dolphin encounter, sea lion show, snorkeling (you can rent gear there), nature trails, rtwo restaurants, and of course a beach. They have a small "lake" area for babies/toddlers. If you like the beach and water sports, head to Paradise beach.

Grand Cayman is great for swimming with the stingrays. You can book this in advance with Captain Marvin's (google search for website) or you can book once you get off the ship. It's a unique experience. You can also do an island tour, which is okay - you can visit "Hell" and see the cool rock formations, stop at the Turtle Farm (may have been ruined in last years hurricane) and stop at the Rum store. There is shopping right off the tender area. You can also get a cheap taxi to Seven mile beach. You can sit on the beach and/or partake in water sports.

We were on the Mariner June 2004 and will be sailing her again in September. Any particular reason why you don't want to go to the dining room on formal nights? We never miss a meal on formal nights, that's when they bring out the good stuff! If you don't like to dress up on formal nights, you can always opt for the alternative dining. Portofino's and Chop's are excellent.

I did find the pools to be quite crowded, only because it was summer time and school's out. It was quite packed with children of all ages. I had to find a nice quiet spot far away from the pool as possible to lay out. Since we're sailing in September this time, I suspect it will be less crowded.

As for the waterslide...there is one on the private island of Labadee. There's a cost associated with it (naturally). :rolleyes: I don't remember how much but it may be posted on RCCL's website somewhere.

We did all our excursions on our own or with private companies. In Grand Cayman we did the Rays,Reef and rum with Nativeway. They are fabulouw,as we have booked with them in the past.

The pools got a little crowded on sea days,but not too bad....The "no saving of chairs" rule needs to be enforced,as well as the rule about no kids in the adult pool and hot tubs.

Any other questions,just ask.

Brenda

When I signed up last week there were only eight people :( I know that hte ship is now sold out so there are lots of us out there! Our family is traveling with another family of 4 who have not signed up for the meet and mingle yet either. Maybe more people will soon. We are working this weekend on booking excursions and getting very excited! Our last cruise was in April to Mexico, and we still have cruise fever!

Archived