Cruise to Dunn's River Falls

I tried to get an answer to this on the Jamaica threads, but didn't get a bite, so I thought I would try here. Has anyone ever done the cruise to Dunn's River Falls. Not the party boat cruise, just the regular one. I was wondering if this is a nice way to get to the falls. Is it worth the money? Would kids enjoy it? Any input would be appreciated!

Don't know about any cruise to the falls.. I never heard of such a thing, but the falls are only a short distance from the peir. We did best of Ochio Rios and a tour van drove us there after a few stops along the way. Very pretty , but you have to be in relatively good health and be able to climb well to go up them. Take non skid water shoes with you. you cannot go barefoot.

Have fun! :)

We've gone to the Falls by bus and by boat. We enjoyed the boat much more. The trip took us along the Jamaican coastline which was very scenic. We then docked at the pier near the Falls. You're right at the bottom of the Falls and ready to join a group and start climbing. After the climb, we got back on the boat for rum punches and a lesson in Caribbean dancing from the boat guides. It was a fun way to do the Falls and we liked it much better than the bus tour. The boat wasn't that big and held about 25 people. We had two teenage boys with us and they loved going to the Falls by boat.

After reading so many positive things about Peat Taylor, I went ahead and booked him for my family. We were traveling with my parents and children. We met Peat at the bus stop area -exactly where he said he would be waiting for us. His van was air conditioned and extremely comfortable. He took us to Dunn's River Falls. We arrived before the crowds and pretty much had the place to ourselves. My mother has a bad hip and he was extremely helpful. My husband and daughter climbed the falls--note I do not think the falls were as bad (difficult to climb) as some people have claimed--my 8 year old climbed it just fine. It is gorgeous and we enjoyed photographing the falls and beach area. My son swam while others climbed, my mother and father sat on a bench and took in the view. Peat picked us up (just as the huge crowds of people started arriving) and proceeded to take us through fern gully and through the real (not tourist area) Jamaica. He pointed out native plants, fruits, animals and stopped several times letting us know of great "photo opportunities." We went high up in the mountains and took a perfect picture of our ship below. Peat sang as he drove and amused us with his wit and charm. His knowledge of Jamaica was impressive. My children learned a lot about the area without feeling like they were in a classroom. What I am trying to say (and am probably not doing a good job of) is he did not sound like a boring tour guide that is reading a script he made the experience fun. We declined the shopping but could have spent even more time on the tour if we had chosen to. Our tour lasted 3 1/2 hours and we left with an incredible experience. At dinner we spoke with others who spent twice as much money for a tour and they did not see any of the things that Peat took us to. I cannot recommend Pete highly enough! He was the best part of our trip!

I know there are several excursions that include a stop in Dunn's River Falls. You just take your pick. My wife and I did the falls this July. We, together with four friends,

rented a taxi van at the pier for the day @$30 per person. Our driver delivered to the Falls and returned some two hours later to pick us up. He also showed us other areas around Ocho Rios including "Fern Gully" in the rain forest, stopped with us for lunch at "Bippi's Bar and Grill" at a beautiful spot overlooking the sea below, and stopped with us for some town shopping; all this before taking us back to the pier. Overall, we enjoyed this way of doing the Falls. Oh, I too would encourage you to take some scrubby shoes with soles for the Falls; aqua socks allow for too many stone bruises. We loved the Falls; when your guide says you will walk up and through them (about 1000 feet) and you will get wet, he means it. It was exhilirating and refreshing!

Betterbrown

We were interested in snorkeling AND seeing Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios. We were able to book an excursion called the CATAMARAN SNORKEL CRUISE TO DUNNS RIVER FALLS, through Shore Trips.

Their excursion picks us up at the pier, makes a stop to snorkel at a reef and then cruising over to the falls. It's good to hear that the cruise to the falls is scenic and enjoyable. We are really looking forward to our first time in Jamaica.

We have done the San San Yacht Cruise, which was nice. The kids enjoyed it. It is a peaceful cruise down the coastline. The day we did it wasn't very crowded so we were able to sit upstairs outside on the boat. I don't know if it ever gets crowded enough so you could be stuck on the inside part of the boat, but we wouldn't like that. It is air conditioned, which some may prefer. I think we had some frozen drinks on this one.

If you kids are over 10, then I would recommend the Sanara Trimaran Cruise & Snorkeling trip. The catamaran trip for us was alot more fun. We did some sailing through the waves where people on the nets in the front get soaking wet, which is a blast. My son loved it; he said it was like going to Disneyworld! I think they had rum punch and beer on the Sanara.

The snorkeling is comparable on either RCL excursion.

We have also done Dunn's River on our own, and I think you have gotten plenty of opinions on that.

If you want to snorkle and don't mind spending the money, I think the Sanara is the way to go.

Archived