Just booked Fantasy!

Gabrielle R.

It has been 17 years since we have cruised Carnival. We have been cruising, but it's been mostly Princess & Royal that we have cruised. I thought it was worth trying Fantasy since I wanted to go to Charleston AND I wanted to see the Bahamas.

We will be on a 5 day cruise....So... What do you suggest We see and do while on board the ship? Anything we should make sure we do? Eat? Favorite spot you'd suggest? We are going in June. Worthwhile to wait to get on board and enjoy Charleston a bit more before boarding? OR get in earlier? (I'll admit we've been spoiled since we are Platinum for Princess so we get priority boarding)

Any suggestions on Freeport Or Nassau? (Yes, I have checked the others boards;) ) Just wondered if any of you have done this and thought.. Oh, I wish I had known... or I wish we would do this again... You know what I mean!

Any ideas/ suggestions would be appreciated!

Gabrielle

It has been 17 years since we have cruised Carnival. We have been cruising, but it's been mostly Princess & Royal that we have cruised. I thought it was worth trying Fantasy since I wanted to go to Charleston AND I wanted to see the Bahamas.

We will be on a 5 day cruise....So... What do you suggest We see and do while on board the ship? Anything we should make sure we do? Eat? Favorite spot you'd suggest? We are going in June. Worthwhile to wait to get on board and enjoy Charleston a bit more before boarding? OR get in earlier? (I'll admit we've been spoiled since we are Platinum for Princess so we get priority boarding)

Any suggestions on Freeport Or Nassau? (Yes, I have checked the others boards;) ) Just wondered if any of you have done this and thought.. Oh, I wish I had known... or I wish we would do this again... You know what I mean!

Gabrielle

Gabrielle, first of all, you picked the best month of the year to visit Charleston and sail this particular cruise, the weather is perfect, the winds have died down and it is not yet storm season. The best port you will visit is, by far, Charleston so make sure you allow at least one night here to take advantage of that. Freeport has a spectacular beach, nicer than any in Nassau, so you will get lots of advice about taking the $5 roundtrip per person shuttle to Lucaya. Nassau is a bit trickier because of the urban congestion, traffic, etc but with some planning and advice, even the most jaded Nassau visitor can have a great time there if they do it right. I read daily about how much many cruisers hate Nassau and I understand that, it can be hard to like, but I've been more than 40 times, about 5 times via cruise ship, twice on business and the rest to land based resorts there and I can tell you that Nassau is a lot like food on a Carnival (or RCL or NCL) ship, if you can't find something you like, you are not trying hard enough.

We were on the Fantasy two weeks ago and watched her sail from our harbor today and wished we were on it. While there are bigger, newer, prettier, fancier, etc, ships, the Fantasy is in excellent condition, it is a comfortable size, the cabins look like they were built last year, not in 1990, and the crew is absolutely wonderful.

But, if you want this to be an amazing vacation and not just a nice one, make sure you spend at least one night in Charleston and let those of us who live here and frequent these boards guide you on some "must see" things to do while you are here.

My biggest suggestion, other than my obvious pitch to take advantage of Charleston, is to be wary of the Carnival sponsored Excursions. Why? They are safe and use reliable vendors but they herd their too large groups like cattle and they are overpriced.

Example: two of our teenage girls from our trip two weeks ago bought the dolphin encounter excursion from Carnival (Freeport). When they were on their excursion that morning, they met the others in their group who were doing the same (wonderful) experience for about $50 pp less. Same adventure, completely different price.

Sometimes Carnival sanctioned excursions are great fun, particularly when they involve smaller groups, but they are almost always overpriced (priced over the same activity if bought directly from the same vendor) and frequently overcrowded. I was fascinated how frequently I heard Carnival announce that they could NOT assure your safety on non-carnival excursions (i.e. if you book with a third party, you are probably going to be stabbed to death), but the reality is that with these boards and Tripadvisor, you can find out all you need to know about non-carnival vendors. I have no problem with Carnival wanting to turn a profit, but I do not care for that particular way they do it by capitalizing on the fears of many of their passengers who are not familiar with foreign ports of call.

Feel free to ask me about these ports and Charleston in particular.

You are about to get plenty of advice about what to see, do and eat on the Fantasy.

Matt

I read your review, that was part of my decision to go to Charleston! We are flying in 1 day early AND plan on staying 4 days AFTER the cruise!:D

I want to get to Ft Sumter AND I want to see the Hunley.. Different days I'm thinking. Husband would 'kill me' if all I did was hit EVERY museum I could..... Don't understand that .... BUT... I'm a History teacher. We are looking at Indigo Inn- I think that is centrally located- right? We like to walk a lot so figured we can get to the beach...

Flying in not sure what the plans will be- we get in at about 12:30 So pretty much a good day in Charleston.

THANKS for the Charleston Info!!

Gabrielle

I do agree with Matt that I'd rather not use the Carnival tours. For Freeport: Who would you recommend for snorkeling tours? And/or beaches?

I think Nassau has the Pirate Museum...? How hard to get there from the pier? Anything else you would recommend? (asked this question on the ports board too)

Thanks!

I do agree with Matt that I'd rather not use the Carnival tours. For Freeport: Who would you recommend for snorkeling tours? And/or beaches?

I think Nassau has the Pirate Museum...? How hard to get there from the pier? Anything else you would recommend? (asked this question on the ports board too)

Thanks!

Freeport is easy, The beach at Lucaya is one of the most beautiful in the Bahamas and the $15 resort pass to the Grand Lucayan Hotel is a great deal. This is a great resort and it is so spread out it is a nice relief from the crowds on the ship. No problem getting a lounger there.

If you are interested in snorkeling, scuba or a dolphin encounter, Freeport is also perfect as just across the street from the Lucayan resort is Unexso, which is one of the best outfits in the West Indies. This is the "dolphin excursion" that Carnival sells, for a significant surcharge. This company is excellent, both in their professionalism, the condition of their boats and equipment and their treatment of their marine mammals.

http://www.unexso.com/ My advice is to do a trip with Unexso first thing in your morning and when you get back to their dock at 12:30, walk across the street and spend the next few hours on the beach. The last shuttle back to the port leaves at 4:00pm, which is perfect to get you back before they want you back on the ship at 4:30pm. We took the 3pm bus back so as to have an hour in the area next to the ship and regretted it. A bunch of bad souvenir shops and a way too loud Senior Frogs is no reason to leave that beach any earlier than you have to. We like the Grand Lucayan so much we are going to fly there and stay there sometime soon.

While on the ship:

DO enjoy the afternoon tea on sea days. Very lovely (unless they have very loud music).

DO NOT order pancakes in the MDR. They are heavy and tough.:(

Enjoy the Fantasy.:)

Kathy

Edited by petesweet

While on the ship:

DO enjoy the afternoon tea on sea days. Very lovely

DO NOT order pancakes in the MDR. They are heavy and tough.:(

Enjoy the Fantasy.:)

Kathy

Good advice but I was pleasantly surprised, no amazed actually, that the French Toast on the Lido breakfast buffet was pretty good and they have solved the weird partially cooked bacon problem and then there was this last breakfast related phenomenon.

Why do people just stand in the first line they come to? Every morning I'd walk up to the Lido breakfast and there would be a huge line to the first "regular" breakfast buffet. I'd walk around the corner and find no line at all for the amazing omelette & real eggs-cooked-to-order guys or the other identical breakfast line. Lesson, don't just get in the first line, keep on walking.

Kathy- Thanks for the pancake advice... I do like them too... so good to know!

Matt, My DH loves made to order eggs/omelettes Thanks! I'll tell him to 'keep walking' to find what he wants.

I'm looking forward to the ship. I like the smaller ships then the bigger ships, so I thought I would feel pretty comfortable with the Fantasy.

Gabrielle

Any suggestions for Nassau? Anything that you thought was fun/interesting.

My lake still has 2 feet of ice on it..... I'm ready for some sun and HEAT!

Gabrielle

Two feet of ice! Wholly smoke, no wonder you are cruise daydreaming. We were on the beach today with 82 degrees and sunny.

I'll get you some Nassau advise and others will no doubt chime in as well. We hired Captain Carl Blades for a private boat excursion and he was a gem. He is well reviewed on TripAdvisor.

There are some significant historical sites in Nassau but you just have to work your way around the crackheads in your way, the key is to walk like you mean it, don't amble like a tourist.

Matt

I read your review, that was part of my decision to go to Charleston! We are flying in 1 day early AND plan on staying 4 days AFTER the cruise!:D

I want to get to Ft Sumter AND I want to see the Hunley.. Different days I'm thinking. Husband would 'kill me' if all I did was hit EVERY museum I could..... Don't understand that .... BUT... I'm a History teacher. We are looking at Indigo Inn- I think that is centrally located- right? We like to walk a lot so figured we can get to the beach...

Flying in not sure what the plans will be- we get in at about 12:30 So pretty much a good day in Charleston.

Gabrielle

Gabrielle, feel free to email me for more info on Charleston since that level of detail goes beyond a thread on the Fantasy. I have lots of maps and info, etc and am glad to share. dillon99@comcast.net

Any suggestions for Nassau? Anything that you thought was fun/interesting.

My lake still has 2 feet of ice on it..... I'm ready for some sun and HEAT!

Gabrielle

I know what you mean! I'm originally from Duluth.

Kathy

If you want to go to the pirate museum you can easily walk

We didn't find it worth the money but definitely a do once activity if you have never done it

As you walk to the pirate museum you will pass where all the busses called jitneys are waiting ... You can come back after the pirate museum and decide if you want to head out of the city on a .7 mile walk to the free beach or hop a jitney for $1.50 each, exact change only, and go get a day pass at the Wyndham

We go to the Wyndham and enjoy the pools, water sports, basketball court

My oldest loves stand up paddle boarding and that and the kayaks etc are included in the day pass. I don't remember the day pass rate but around $35???

Have fun!

Congrats on booking the Fantasy!! I have cruised on her before and will be again in Sept.

- If you have time in Charleston, I would suggest doing one of the horse carriage tours. We did it early one morning and it was wonderful. We used Palmetto Carriage and could have had a better time.

- We always make it a point of walking the deck before heading to the cabin for the night. The sounds of the ocean and the stars are wonderful. We may on occasion visit the ice cream machines on the Lido deck first. OK, it is a must for us.

- Do try the Brunch on the sea days in the MDR.

- In Nassau, you will have lots of options. Last time we did a self directed walking tour, a little shopping, and then back to the ship for a late lunch and relaxation. Lots to do but I suggest that you check out booking it yourself and saving some money.

- If you are stopping at Freeport, I would suggest booking Pat & Diane Snorkeling.

Matt

Gabrielle

the Indigo Inn is in the heart of historic Charleston.Also inquire about their sister property, The Jasmine House---chance to stay in ahistorical 1840's home located about a block away from the Indigo,The Hunley is only open for tours on Saturday and Sunday---we'll worth a visit.Try to visit Magnolia Cemetery as we'll to see the graves of the three Hunley crews as well as many other civil war graves.There are many tours that leave from the Market area.Plan to visit the Confederate museum upstairs in Market Hall.The ladies who run it will speak of"The War of Northern Agression" so be prepared for that one.Make sure to stroll down Church,Meeting,East Bay Streets and tour the churches and museum homes.Hymans seafood is a must for dinner one evening.As ahisory lover you are going to really enjoy Charleston. hope this helps.

By the way, Gabrielle, are you aware that many (most? all?) of the Charleston Fantasy cruises have a ZERO solo supplement charge? Three of us women friends sailed awhile back and each had a cabin to ourselves.

I realize married couples would (probably) want to share a cabin; however, why not book two cabins side-by-side and enjoy a suite (sort of)? At least you would have two bathrooms.

No downsides to this offer.:)

Happy sails.

Kathy

(Oh, and another thing - for anyone traveling with an individual with a handicap placard, there is free parking at the port.)

We also have a a cruise booked on the Fanstasy in october. If I may I would love to get your MATT62 "private"info on Charelston if I can email you as well? We have an excursion booked in Freeport the atv,garden and beach. Idk sounded fun and I had not read about outside booking when i booked it! As for Nassau we were thinking of walking to Junknoo beach for a bit then on the the group of restaurants past it, then back to senior frogs (for a tshirt ) idk if yoi or anyone had a better suggestion or a stop we shoild make along the way please share!!! Thanks for all the information already shared here!!

Edited by Cricket551

We also have a a cruise booked on the Fantasy in october. If I may I would love to get your MATT62 "private"info on Charleston if I can email you as well? !

Cricket, you are welcome to email me directly. See email address above. If this all keeps up, I am going to have to book a Fantasy Cruise in October too!

Regarding a post above about solo supplements not being charged on "most" Fantasy cruises, I wish this were so but it is not. I looked at the list and could only find a few Fantasy Cruises where they were offering this but I'd sure love to be proven wrong on that.

Gabrielle

What date in June are you sailing? We will be on the June 22nd sailing.

Regarding a post above about solo supplements not being charged on "most" Fantasy cruises, I wish this were so but it is not. I looked at the list and could only find a few Fantasy Cruises where they were offering this but I'd sure love to be proven wrong on that.

You are so right, and I apologize for the misinformation. I went back to my source; and while I see dozens of "0" in the single supplement column, when I checked the actual dates, there were some missing.

The dates I came up with are April 14 and 19 as well as May 11, 21, and 31. That's as far as the list goes. Guess I have been lucky that all the ones we showed an interest in were in that category. I need to be careful not to assume they all are when we make our next reservation.

May we all get one of these neat deals in the future!!:D

Kathy