Best place to get some sun?
By the pool.
Best bar/club
Bolero's
Best place to get a bite to eat
Sorento's
Drink prices
Not cheap
Is there any "secret" locations that people generally do not know about but are almost a must?!!
Sorry I don't know of one.
Thanx
She is a great little ship for her purpose.

1. The deck above the pool, the pool deck is too crowded.

2. Agree, Boleros.

3. The dining room, stay away from the buffet.

4. We find them average.

5. Not really, but stay away from the crowds, you will find some nice spots.

I agree with Eric, this is a nice ship for this particular market.

We are sailing on the Monarch is just 30 days, and are looking forward to exploring the ship. How is the entertainment? Food? Any special lounges? Best place for a cocktail before dinner?

We have our family with us, 12 in all, oldest being by DW's mother and father. He is in his mid 80's and her youngest son is 31. So we are looking for suggestions for youngsters of all ages!!

Rick

rubbrick, There aren't tons of bars on Monarch. Closest to the dining room would probably be Schooners, but it is smokey in there, so it would be a tolerance issue. Boleros is quite nice, but our favorite was the Viking Crown Lounge, good views and it has a totally non-smoking side. The only down side is that it is at the very top of the ship. There are elevators, but as I recall there was still a flight of stairs to climb. Not knowing if this is an issue for your older folks, I'm just making this comment so you can know about it. The only other choice (besides pool bar) would be the Circuit Lounge and I never went in there, as I'm not the disco person I was 30 years ago!

I have to ask, is your screen name the same as one of Steve Martins characters in the movie "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"? I once saw an interview with him saying this was his favorite character that he has played.

rubbrick, There aren't tons of bars on Monarch. Closest to

I have to ask, is your screen name the same as one of Steve Martins characters in the movie "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"? I once saw an interview with him saying this was his favorite character that he has played.

I was given that name when I was single, which is actually rubrrick. I won't go into details for fear of being totally and completely banned from these boards, forever!! :D Thanks for asking.

Rick

PS Thanks for the info. Too bad to hear about all of the smoking. I'm an ex.

First dinner is your best bet. When they fixed up the ship they made some great changes. One problem is It was made to hold more pax but the kitchen is the same so second seating can be a bit long with them playing catch up.

Schooner bars work best for me. Just depends what your looking for.

Secrete places? I found a spot below the activities deck (Promanade deck maybe) that was a nice quite spot to watch the wake from. Problem was I ended up being the old guy crashing the make out spot for the young teenage lovers.

We really enjoyed Bolero's more than the other lounges. Now one ever seems to mention the Circuit lounge but I assume people go there.

I have a lot of pictures of the ship and most of it's public spaces at http://community.webshots.com/user/dougp26364

Archived