How do *YOU* travel from Newark to Red Hook?

sarafinadh

I know that Newark is not the ideal airport to fly into. I know that there there are numerous routes to consider; trains, taxis, hired cars, buses, subway, shuttles, camel caravan...

We fly in around 7am. I know not ideal either, common wisdom is to fly in the day before, but we didn't have that option on this trip.

What I would love to hear about, from folks who have made the trek, is what route did you choose, and why, and would you go that route again or some other method?

I am hoping that a pattern will begin to appear, because right now I am looking at the Cunard shuttle option and the timing is (I think) going to leave us sitting at the airport for hours that morning.

What they really need is a ferry direct from the airport to the ship. THAT would be ideal ; -)

I know that Newark is not the ideal airport to fly into. I know that there there are numerous routes to consider; trains, taxis, hired cars, buses, subway, shuttles, camel caravan...

We fly in around 7am. I know not ideal either, common wisdom is to fly in the day before, but we didn't have that option on this trip.

What I would love to hear about, from folks who have made the trek, is what route did you choose, and why, and would you go that route again or some other method?

I am hoping that a pattern will begin to appear, because right now I am looking at the Cunard shuttle option and the timing is (I think) going to leave us sitting at the airport for hours that morning.

What they really need is a ferry direct from the airport to the ship. THAT would be ideal ; -)

In fact I do prefer Newark because Lufthansa uses an A340 with four engines on my preferred flight:D

A limo picks me up and gets me anywhere. Redhook is at midday not a challenge.

I know that Newark is not the ideal airport to fly into. I know that there there are numerous routes to consider; trains, taxis, hired cars, buses, subway, shuttles, camel caravan... We fly in around 7am. I know not ideal either, common wisdom is to fly in the day before, but we didn't have that option on this trip. What I would love to hear about, from folks who have made the trek, is what route did you choose, and why, and would you go that route again or some other method? I am hoping that a pattern will begin to appear, because right now I am looking at the Cunard shuttle option and the timing is (I think) going to leave us sitting at the airport for hours that morning. What they really need is a ferry direct from the airport to the ship. THAT would be ideal ; -)

We don't fly - too close - to Red Hook. But we have taken the train up and then had a car take us to the ship. I don't recall how much the hired car was but it was much easier and more pleasant than a cab (tried that once) and the drivers always seem to know exactly where the ship is.

Remember... The ship doesn't leave until 6-ish and (really) won't leave without you. So, you have plenty of time to get there. Best, tho, to choose the nicest option available to you, which is a hired car/sedan. There are plenty of services in NY to choose from.

We use the car service Arecibo which is much recommended on this forum. They are based in Brooklyn so they will not give the excuse, allegedly given by many taxi drivers, that they don't know where the Red Hook terminal is. I can't recall the exact fare the last time I used them - over a year ago - but it was about $70 plus two tolls of $6 each.

Well, Sara, you arrive Newark Liberty at 7AM and you can't board QM2 at Redhook until noon, so you have a few hours not to kill but to enjoy. By all means hire a car to collect you at Newark and take you to the ship, but hire the car for three or four hours and design a memorable itinerary.

For example, if interesting ships are docked at the West Side Cruise Terminal that day, have your driver take you first to Weewauken where from Hamilton Park on the Palisades you can look at them and the carrier Intrepid across the Hudson.

Then be driven through the Lincoln Tunnel to Manhattan and down the west side to Battery Park. If it's still early enough and the weather is fine, have your driver wait there for you while you take a ride over and back on the Staten Island ferry. The ferry ride is free and you'll have great looks at QM2 and the Statue of Liberty and everything else in the harbor.

Then through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and Queen Mary 2. Bon voyage!

Paul

Well the trend I am seeing, so far, is get a car. I have noted Aricebo recommended on the board. Sounds as if that might be close to Cunard shuttle for cost, and more convenient.

Anyone else?

; -)

This isn't especially helpful now....but we use Aricebo also. Mainly from the ship to Newark. A quick call and they show up within minutes. We have been lucky in Newark......we find a drop off car that is happy to have a fare back into Manhatten or Brooklyn. Had a beautiful Mercedes last time.

• 1 month later...

Hi I am new to Cruise critic.. however been on many cruises and several Transatlantic crossings on QM2 plus various Mediterranean cruises on QE and Celebrity Reflection amongst others too.

I have a quick question I have used Carmel and Dial 7 to go to Newark airport they were OK yet found it hard to get pick times just right due to getting of QM2. We are more often than not off at 8.00am. However I have to guess pick-up and I never get the timing right as I cant second guess lines to US immigration.

So I would like to give Arecibo Car service ago. I see it is well regarded by some. I also note they come quick so I guess a quick call to Arecibo will do when passed immigration? does any one have experience of the cost? and tolls.

Is there currently a Cunard shuttle from Red Hook? Where does it take you to & how much does it cost? If it's any help, I'm staying in a hotel near Times Square. I presume it doesn't operate for a journey TO the ship, just FROM the ship.

A taxi from Manhattan to Red Hook is a real problem. A car service should work much better. If , if you get a good taxi it will be about $10 less, but a bad taxi takes it will take an extra hour more and an extra $10.There is a $10 bus to from from EWR to grand central I think a car is the way to go. EWR to Red Hook. It will take 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs. As stated above do one great stop in Manhattan on the way to ship

Cunard does indeed offer a bus to the pier. But that results, for us, in a long wait at the airport. We fly in around 7am;

Pre Voyage Packages

You have selected this package. To remove it click the 'Remove this package' button.

Name:Coach: Airport To Pier

Duration:0

A representative will meet you at the airport and direct you to the coach transfer to the cruise ship. Please note that transfers are valid on the date of embarkation only and are non transferable and non refundable. If you have any issues locating your Cunard representative upon arrival at the airport then please call 001 732-619-9130

Single:$34.00

Be quite careful to leave an absurdly huge amount of time to get from Newark or NYC to the terminal! We were on the May 16th Red Hook departure. Traffic was especially bad that day due to terrible weather (we live in NJ an hour away and allowed four hours in light of the forecast). Respectfully, I don't think SeaFlint is entirely correct: we understand our departure did leave people behind thanks to cancelled flights that morning, and one gentleman quite literally got down on his knees and begged to be let aboard since the boarding bridge had already been retracted. Take no chances...get on board and have a glass of bubbly!

Edited by CatsRKool