Dream, Seward Delay excursion thoughts...

Eagle288

Hi. I am headed to Alaska on 8/11/05 on the NCL Dream 11-day cruise. Due to engine trouble our port time in Seward has been changed to 2:00-midnight.:( I went to the kenaifjords tours website and saw that they had a 5:30-9:30 Resurrection Bay and Fox Island tour, which included a grilled salmon dinner for $63.00pp. I was wondering if anyone had done this tour and wanted to know what they thought of it. There is also the six-hour dinner cruise, which covers more than these two places that leaves at 3:00, but I think that is to close in time for our scheduled arrival as I have heard that the Dream has not been totally on time with its ports because of this engine problem. Please share your thoughts, and if you have any other good ideas for this port please share. Thank you!

I went to the kenaifjords tours website and saw that they had a 5:30-9:30 Resurrection Bay and Fox Island tour, which included a grilled salmon dinner for $63.00pp. I was wondering if anyone had done this tour and wanted to know what they thought of it.

We took the Dream to Seward when it still was cooking on all four engines, and were able to take the eight-hour Kenai Fjords tour, which included the salmon bake at Fox Island and a tour of one of the fjords terminating at a glacier. We thought it was terrific--though perhaps a little long. I would guess the four-hour tour will not get to the glacier we went to, but there were others closer to Seward that you might get to see on the shorter tour. Not sure if any will be calving into Resurrection Bay, however.

In any case, this trip will probably be your best option at Seward, given the new port schedule.

My feeling is that the 6 hour tour is superior to the Resurrection Bay tour, you'll travel partially into the Park on the 6 hour. NCL uses Kenai Fjords Tours for their shore excursion vendor and I have to believe that they will be offering that very 6 hour tour on your sailing and if you arrive a little late the tour people will wait(money talks). If I were you I'd book through NCL and protect yourself.

I've toured with both Kenai Fjords and Major Marine, preferring Major Marine but their schedules don't support NCL's abbreviated schedule.

Eagle288:

I am in the same situation as you--on same ship/intinerary. I went to Kenai Fjords Tours website this morning and totally missed the 4 hr excursion listed. Guess I wasn't quite awake. I too am considering booking the 5:30-9:00 pm fox island trip independently. I'm not sure what NCL will be charging but likely over $63. ?? With ship arriving in Seward port at 2pm there's plenty of time to disembark and make that excursion.

If disembarking is smooth as postings are indicating, then might even have some time to take in:Alaska SeaLife Center, 301 Railway Ave, Seward, AK · 907-224-6300 www.alaskasealife.org

Settlement money from the Exxon Valdez spill funded more than half of this center, located on a seven-acre waterfront site donated by the town of Seward. This research center and aquarium offers a tidewater touch pool and small viewing tanks where you can watch crabs, fish, and octopus. A puffin viewing tank allows visitors to watch the graceful birds from above and below as they swim. You will be enchanted by the seals and sea lions lounging in their carefully constructed habitat.

Hours:

May-Aug Daily 8am-8pm;

Oct-Mar Daily 10am-5pm;

Sep, Apr Daily 9am-6pm

Thanks for everyone's imput into the Seward schedule. As we will be in Seward around September 7th I am afraid that it will be getting darker and so only a four hour cruise would be possible. Feel our only option at this point is to go with what ever NCL has to offer. Hope they are making good and reasonable excursion plans that will somewhat offset our disappointment in not going to Sitka and the shortened port times. Any updated information would be appreciated.

I would book through the ship for this one. We had some tours come back late, and they held the ship for them--that won't happen if you book on your own. Also, they will adjust the starting time to go along with the ship schedule. My tour was cancelled that day--I had booked the longer one and it was too windy to go. They offered a shorter one instead. I didn't go, but I heard from others that it was great.

Hi,

Just got back from that same cruise. I didn't really like the 6-hour Resurrection Bay boat ride. My son and I felt kinda sea sick and it definitely wasn't as satisfying as other excursions on which we went.

Roni

We were scheduled for this tour but it had to be changed because the seas were to high. They ended up doing the bay, fox island and the Salmon cookout. It was from 3:00-7:00 PM. One of the girls working on the boat was all excited because they usually don't do this. I must admit we saw everything and our Captain even would show us things up close. We saw seals, eagles (nest with young bird learning to hunt), puffins, etc. and yes we even saw whales. He mentioned he was on a mission and for everyone to take their seat. He went out of his way to not disappoint us. The dinner was great also. We booked this ourselves and they adjusted our time because we were slightly delayed. I think this was the port we were delayed getting to because one of the crew went into labor (at 7 months) and had to get her to her to a city but I'm not sure. Rita

Hi. I am headed to Alaska on 8/11/05 on the NCL Dream 11-day cruise. Due to engine trouble our port time in Seward has been changed to 2:00-midnight.:( I went to the kenaifjords tours website and saw that they had a 5:30-9:30 Resurrection Bay and Fox Island tour, which included a grilled salmon dinner for $63.00pp. I was wondering if anyone had done this tour and wanted to know what they thought of it. There is also the six-hour dinner cruise, which covers more than these two places that leaves at 3:00, but I think that is to close in time for our scheduled arrival as I have heard that the Dream has not been totally on time with its ports because of this engine problem. Please share your thoughts, and if you have any other good ideas for this port please share. Thank you!

Archived