Kilauea Volcano Cruises

a1moty

I am looking for a cruise to Hawaii--Holland America lists that they cruise past the Kilauea Volcano at night, but I can not find it on any other cruise lines itinerary--is Holland America the only one who does this??

Thanks~~~:)

I am sure there are other - try NCL as they sail out of Hawaii.

We didn't see much cruising past Kilauea in the evening because there was a lot of cloud cover. All we saw was the plumes of smoke from the volcano.

We took a tour to the Volcanoes National Park from Hilo when we sailed on HAL to Hawaii a couple of times. It was very, very interesting and we even got to walk on the cold lava. They show a movie in their theatre first and then you proceed by bus to the Volcano.

If the volcano is erupting, and there is fear of danger, they will not let you go into the park.

Is this what you mean?

HAL does cruise past the volcano at night. We could see the lava flow, but in the dark it looks like a stream of red coming down to the sea. Still quite a sight, and as mentioned I am sure if the volcano is really active you might not get so close.

As for Volcanoes National Park, we rented a car when docked in Hilo. It's less than an hour drive to the park, you can tour it at your own pace and IMO see more. Also, you will have time to see some other sights around Hilo before turning the car back in. I highly recommend it!

You have to be lucky to see any lava flow and color from Kiluea when sailing past the south end of the Big Island. The eruption is NOT constant and when it is erupting most of the lava flow is under a solid crust. The most spectacular part is the plume of steam when the hot lava flows into the sea. The gasses in this plume contain sulfuric and hydrochloric acid and can be smelly and nasty. If you book a cruise well in advance with the expectation of seeing a spectacular display, be prepared for disappointment if Pele, the Hawaiian goddess of fire, decides that you are unworthy. Better make obeisances and offerings.

I am looking for a cruise to Hawaii--Holland America lists that they cruise past the Kilauea Volcano at night, but I can not find it on any other cruise lines itinerary--is Holland America the only one who does this??

Thanks~~~:)

We took the 15 day Princess cruise to Hawaii, round trip from San Pedro (near L.A.). It does cruise past the vocano's at the southern tip of the island at night and you can see some of the glow where the lava meets the sea.

While in Hilo I took a tour (one I found at the end of the warehouse where you disembark) for $ 35-$40. Great tour but was raining most of the day which is pretty much the norm.

Lots of options!:)

Archived