Cingular on a cruise

Shirleya53

I just got my SBC bill and am happy to inform everyone that I was not charged anything extra on our Alaska cruise and all the ports.

I have the no roaming in all 50 states. You cannot make a call while the ship is at sea.

Cingular told me that as long as I have the words "cingular" on my little screen, I can make calls. If I could get a few "bars", I had no problem making calls in SE Alaska, Anchorage, Talkeetna, and the northwest.

Of course I did not try in Vancouver as that would be international.

I'd be happier had you reported that your cell phone did not work.

I think cell phones and walkie-talkies should be left at home.

Bah humbug!

Thank you for the post Shirleya53. I too was wondering about this. What some people don't realize is, very often one must check with others while away from home, for one reason or another. It is very expensive to use the ship's phone. If taking my cell phone lowers my costs and gives me peace of mind, who cares what others think.

As long as I don't break any laws or rules, everyone else should mind their own business.

Thank you for the post Shirleya53. I too was wondering about this. What some people don't realize is, very often one must check with others while away from home, for one reason or another. It is very expensive to use the ship's phone. If taking my cell phone lowers my costs and gives me peace of mind, who cares what others think.

As long as I don't break any laws or rules, everyone else should mind their own business.

Because it is hard to mind your own business when someone is sitting/standing next to you blurting (screaming....if their connection is bad) out their life story over their cell phone.

I believe that the advent of cell phones has had a lot to do with the decrease in manners in our society. (I can say this with some credence as I have worked for Sprint for many years.)

Also in the US Virgin Islands. I have Cingular and had no problems. Puerto Rico and St. Thomas are part of the Cingular calling area with no roaming. As a matter of fact, I was able to use my phone out to sea for a number of hours when we left St. Thomas for our next port (can't remember exactly which was next on that cruise). Since we were close to the next port, they must have stayed close to St. Thomas till late into the night.

Archived