Jumping ships

mskopins

We will be on the Crown, one of the smaller, older ships in the fleet. We had to sail out of New York City and I didn't care for the Dawn's itinerary. Since this is our first cruise ever, I chose based on itinerary, since I don't know if I like cruising but I know I like foreign travel. Assuming we enjoy it I think it would be fun to try a larger ship (either the Dawn or the new Crown Princess) next year.

There are tons of reviews trashing the Crown, and a bunch that say it's one of the reviewers' favorite ships ever. I had to read between the lines to figure out that the people who hate the Crown want more specialty restaurants, better shows, more organized excitement, etc. I prefer quietly entertaining myself, want a real at-sea atmosphere rather than a resort hotel atmosphere, don't want to pay extra for specialty restaurants, and truly hate crowds. There is one other reviewer (Surfgirl) who reviewed both the Dawn and the Crown who appears to have similar likes and dislikes, so I think I will do better on this smaller, older ship. (I am somewhat claustrophobic, for example, and the idea of getting off the ship by tender to land on a private beach with 3,000 other passengers literally horrifies me, which is why we didn't even consider RCI). That's why I hope to be as specific as possible with my review, so whether I liked the ship or not, other people will be able to discern whether they'll like it based on my reaction.

I think that since you have done your homework and know that the Crown is a smaller older ship you are well prepared to have a good time on your cruise. The one comment that made me a little uneasy was your comment about being slightly claustrophobic. I hope you have booked an outside cabin preferably one with a balcony. It would be a shame if your first cruise was not enjoyable because of a too small cabin that made you uncomfortable.

I hope your cruise goes well. I've been on large size ships (Voyager class) and on a 4,000 ton ship and a few sizes in between, and enjoyed them all. I think the trick is to have some idea what type of trip you are getting. Maybe the trick is also not having any major problems or disruptions on your cruises (like very bad weather or missed ports etc.) somehow I've managed to avoid that too, purely through luck!:)

The only outsides with Balcony are the penthouse and owner suites. This is a well maintained older smaller ship...I don't think the HMS Rose had a balcony. I was on it when it was being built.

Oh, well , I hope there is a nice big porthole at least then. I don't suffer from claustrophobia and find most insides nice and cosy but I do have a friend who is slightly claustrophobic and I don't think she would be happy in an inside.

Oh, well , I hope there is a nice big porthole at least then. I don't suffer from claustrophobia and find most insides nice and cosy but I do have a friend who is slightly claustrophobic and I don't think she would be happy in an inside.

Thank you for the suggestions, I greatly appreciate them. I pretty much figured I would have a problem with an inside cabin so I went for an oceanview with large picture window. Didn't want the balcony (which, as a previous poster suggested, is not readily available on this ship anyway) because I have two small children, but I am looking forward to a time when I can have a balcony, which I think will be great.

My parents have an AC suite so if I have to I can always camp out on their sitting area floor!

India

I've never had a balcony or suite room. However, on the Crown our inside cabin had a large vanity and shower. It was an even bigger shower and vanity than our outside cabin had on Celebrity Infinity.

I have fond memories of the Crown. I'm glad to hear she has been well-maintained.

Thank you for the suggestions, I greatly appreciate them. I pretty much figured I would have a problem with an inside cabin so I went for an oceanview with large picture window. Didn't want the balcony (which, as a previous poster suggested, is not readily available on this ship anyway) because I have two small children, but I am looking forward to a time when I can have a balcony, which I think will be great.

My parents have an AC suite so if I have to I can always camp out on their sitting area floor!

India

I'm glad to hear you had thought about it and are getting the window. We seldom spend much time in the cabin and you probably won't either but I mentioned it because I didn't want anything to spoil your cruise.

Have a great time.:)

Archived