Grand Cayman Scuba / Snorkel options - in 3 weeks

cawhite

Hi all,

We just booked a last minute cruise on Empress of the Seas yesterday... we leave in 3 weeks. DH and DD (14 y.o.) did their open water certification earlier this year. DD dove in Cozumel in April.

For our stop at Grand Cayman, how does the shore diving compare to the diving on the boat trips? They are considering a shore dive with Dive Tech, or a boat dive with Neptune Divers (based on reviews we've read on cruise critic). We will probably not be back to GC for some time... so we want to select the best option.

Also, DS (10 y.o.) and I want to snorkel. We want to pick the best option too. We could (a) snorkel in the same area as DH and DD go for a shore dive, (b) go on a separate boat snorkeling trip (Stingray City, etc.), or © go on a combined dive / snorkel trip (not sure if Neptune does this or not).

Also, is Stingray City a must see for my DS (as opposed to other snorkel spots)? I assume it is. Do any of the combo boat / snorkel boat operators do excursions that go to both great dive sites and Stringray City on the same trip?

Thanks everyone!

For our stop at Grand Cayman, how does the shore diving compare to the diving on the boat trips? They are considering a shore dive with Dive Tech, or a boat dive with Neptune Divers (based on reviews we've read on cruise critic). We will probably not be back to GC for some time... so we want to select the best option.
Boat diving is generally a bit better than shore diving and it is definitely easier, but in the cast of Grand Cayman, the shore diving can be very good. If you want to stay together, a guided shore dive/snorkel at the divetech site would be a good choice. If you are OK with separating, then I'd probably go for the boat dive with Neptune's. Keith and Casey will take good care of DH and DD. I think that they won't be disappointed with either dive choice.

Also, DS (10 y.o.) and I want to snorkel. We want to pick the best option too. We could (a) snorkel in the same area as DH and DD go for a shore dive, (b) go on a separate boat snorkeling trip (Stingray City, etc.), or © go on a combined dive / snorkel trip (not sure if Neptune does this or not).
If you want the best snorkel trip possible, then I would definitely do a stingray city/reef snorkel trip. I don't know if Neptune's does a combo trip, you should email Casey and ask her.

Also, is Stingray City a must see for my DS (as opposed to other snorkel spots)? I assume it is.
I pretty much agree with you about stingray city being the top attraction on GCM.

Do any of the combo boat / snorkel boat operators do excursions that go to both great dive sites and Stringray City on the same trip?
I don't know if any of the operators offer a combo trip.

Thanks bruce-r. I am looking into Neptune Divers, actually, because of your previous posts!

If my DS and I do a separate snorkel trip, do you know who is best to take it with? I've heard of Captain Marvin and some others frequently... but don't know who's best, who has the most personalized service (i.e., fewer passengers per boat), etc.

Carole

CaWhite. I just returned today from my cruise which stopped on GC. I'm a newly certified diver and on Bruce's recommendation, I went with Neptune's. They were great! There were only three other divers on the boat. We did a deep dive on the wall and a shallow dive on the reef. The marine life is unbelievable. Keith and Casey did a great job and I would highly recommend them.

Steven

Thanks bruce-r. I am looking into Neptune Divers, actually, because of your previous posts!

If my DS and I do a separate snorkel trip, do you know who is best to take it with? I've heard of Captain Marvin and some others frequently... but don't know who's best, who has the most personalized service (i.e., fewer passengers per boat), etc.

Carole

Sorry I can't help with the snorkel operator Carole. I just don't have experience in that area. I do know that I wouldn't go with the ship's excursion. I would look for an operator that had a smaller boat. Perhaps the Cayman Islands section would be a good place to start. From the official Dive Cayman web site I got this list of operators that do snorkel trips. I like the look of this one Fantasea tours. It is a sailing snorkel trip. Soto's and Captain Marvyns are 2 that get mentioned on cruise critic.

Actually, it seems like some of the businesses on the list don't really belong, such as the Cayman Aggressor which is a liveaboard dive boat.

Hi sgetto - Thanks for the additional thumbs up on Neptune Divers. I'm going to sign my DH and DD with them today. They look really great!

sportsterjohn - I asked Casey as well about having myself and my DS go along as snorkelers and I was told that was no problem and would be $25 pp (that might be with our own gear... not sure).

But now I have to decide if most 10 year old boys would prefer a snorkeling excursion to see fish / coral, or if they would prefer a String Ray City tour. My son has snorkeled before (the Hawaiian islands and Cozumel) and he likes it "OK", but sometimes gets bored after 20-25 minutes and often goes back and sits in the boat for the rest of the time.

Anyone have any thoughts on which might be the better option?

Thanks again bruce-r!

Neptune Divers recommended Moby Dick Tours (www.mobydicktours.com) for the Sting Ray City tour. I've not read any reviews on them however. Does anyone know anything about Moby Dick Tours?

I might start a new thread on this to see if I can get a review.

Carole

Capt Marvin is a good choice for snorkel trips at GC. He has two different trips:

a single cruise stopping at Barrier Reef, and a two stop cruise that includes Coral Gardens and Barrier Reef. Both trips stop at Stingray City. There's a "full" day, 9AM-3PM, excursion as well.

He doesn't overcrowd the boats and has good snorkel guides.

The office is a short stroll from the tender docks. Print out the map on his web site for the exact location. A shuttle bus takes you to the boat dock.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

Absolutely avoid the cruise ship snorkel trips at GC. They are real cattle calls.

There's excellent shore snorkeling/diving near the tender docks at Eden's Rock/Devil's Grotto.

You can Schedule the boat trip for morning and visit Eden's Rock after lunch.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm#GTEden

Does anybody know which dive operation RCCL uses in Grand Cayman. Empress of the Seas I believe is one of their ships. I'll be on the Legend of the Seas in December, however we are scheduled to arrive in port at 9:00am and Neptunes boats depart at 9:00am. Their second departure is at 1:00 and that may be pushing the limits on getting back to the ship on time.

Stevesan - Thanks for all the detailed information. By the way, we would never book a ship snorkel / dive excursion... MOO!!!! Also, my DD won't go diving unless someone does all the lifting of tanks etc... so she does not want to do shore dives.

JerryG - I believe I heard RCI uses Red Sail.

traci28 - I read somewhere here that Bucaneer is the same company as Capt. Bryan's... I've read good reviews of Captain Bryan's.

Does anybody know which dive operation RCCL uses in Grand Cayman. Empress of the Seas I believe is one of their ships. I'll be on the Legend of the Seas in December, however we are scheduled to arrive in port at 9:00am and Neptunes boats depart at 9:00am. Their second departure is at 1:00 and that may be pushing the limits on getting back to the ship on time.

same problem except our ship arrives at 10 am and leaves at 6 pm - the 5:30 be onboard routine at the latest -! Really wld like to dive here but....! Redsail is good suggestion but I also like smaller operators and presume they are large. Many thanks in advance for recommendations.

We will be going to Grand Cayman in November and have been checking out Neptune divers. My only concern is that the cruise ship is due to arrive at 9:00am and we will use tenders to come ashore. Neptune divers are due to leave at 10:00am will we be able to make it? I have always used the shore excursions that the ship offered only to guarantee that I don't miss it. i know using the tenders in the past the ship unloads their own shore excusions first then the rest of the ship. any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

sue & randy johnson

legend of the seas - november 2005

adventure of the seas - may 2004

monarch of the seas - december 2003

century - may 2003

based on all the reviews here we contacted neptune divers and they told me that they would hold their boat till 10:00am to accomadate us coming off the cruise ship. my advice is to contact them and see if they have room the day you arrive and if they do then reserve your spot. we contacted them via email and they responded promptly.

sue & randy johnson

legend of the seas - november 2005

adventure of the seas - may 2004

monarch of the seas - december 2003

century - may 2003

Just returned Aug 13th, we toured and snorkled off Grand Cayman with a tour guide that came highly recommended. We used www.sotoscruises.com

We had a great day with them. We had a small group compared to the others and paid much less. The guides were awesome and made sure to it we saw /experienced everything and had a blast. Check them out. It was the highlite of our trip. Do not miss the stingrays....have fun...

We just came back from GC on the Explorer. We dove with Absolute Divers, 3 of us are divers and 1 snorkles only. So I looked for somone to accomidate all of us. We arrived at 10am ship time (EST) which turned out to be 9am GC time (CST). Mark (The owner & DM) picked us near the pier in his van and drove us to his boat. The boat was about a 24' whaler with bimini. He lost his 34' Sea Ray in last years hurricane.

We did a wall dive at the reef, had our SI over at the sand bar (Sting Ray City) and watched the cruise snorkle boats over at the shallow side. There were at least 3-400 people off two large boats. It looked like a zoo. They left about the time we were ready to dive; 2 dove (approx 13") and 2 snorkled. We had a great time with the rays, we checked out some huge coral heads and fish nearby as well. Afterward he drove us to a parking lot near the Hardrock Cafe, also where he picked us up. Due to port security he could not drop us closer. There is a resturant near the parking lot which has freshwater showers a good lunch and drinks. It was a short walk back to the tender pier from there, even with our gear.

His operation is a no frills operation, bring your own lunch. He does have water on the boat and encourages lots of hydrating. However, you get to set the pace and where you go and what you see. Its your boat for the dives. I would use him again.

Mike

http://absolutedivers.com/

• 1 month later...

We were in GC in January and booked the Mariner's excursion with Red sail. We had a great trip, but there were many, many (20?) people on the boat. I thought they were a safe, competent operation. The divemasters were friendly and helpful. I would go with them again, but if you want to move at your own pace, you might want to try a smaller company.

We just came back from GC on the Explorer. We dove with Absolute Divers, 3 of us are divers and 1 snorkles only. So I looked for somone to accomidate all of us. We arrived at 10am ship time (EST) which turned out to be 9am GC time (CST). Mark (The owner & DM) picked us near the pier in his van and drove us to his boat. The boat was about a 24' whaler with bimini. He lost his 34' Sea Ray in last years hurricane.

We did a wall dive at the reef, had our SI over at the sand bar (Sting Ray City) and watched the cruise snorkle boats over at the shallow side. There were at least 3-400 people off two large boats. It looked like a zoo. They left about the time we were ready to dive; 2 dove (approx 13") and 2 snorkled. We had a great time with the rays, we checked out some huge coral heads and fish nearby as well. Afterward he drove us to a parking lot near the Hardrock Cafe, also where he picked us up. Due to port security he could not drop us closer. There is a resturant near the parking lot which has freshwater showers a good lunch and drinks. It was a short walk back to the tender pier from there, even with our gear.

His operation is a no frills operation, bring your own lunch. He does have water on the boat and encourages lots of hydrating. However, you get to set the pace and where you go and what you see. Its your boat for the dives. I would use him again.

Mike

We call these cattleboats. I refuse to dive off any boat like these. That is why I check on always doing a non-traditional ship dive.:)

If you really want a great experience with the stingrays then try Soto's, they are super to deal with and you get more time on the reef than with the ship's excursions. Stingray City excursions include 3 different stops for USD$35 pp.

Much cheaper rates than booking onboard ship.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived