Can you suggest cheap waterproof camera for water play?

scrapperluv

Hi all!

I'd like to buy an inexpensive waterproof camera so I can take pictures during snorkeling and while petting stingrays! It doesn't need to be a top of the line diving camera since we won't take more than a few feet underwater during snorkeling.

I'd prefer a digital since the kids love to take tons of random photos and the 35 mm would be a waste of film. Was looking at Amazon and the reviews are so mixed for each camera. There's a Vivitar Aquashot Underwater Digital Camera for $30 that some people rave about and some say it filled with water right away. Hard decision to make!

Do you have something similar that you use and love? Thanks! Heidi

I did the research last year for our disney cruise and I ended up buying this case for a cell phone. It worked wonderfully and I did not have any problems at all with it. I did test it at home with an old phone by keeping it in water overnight and it did not leak.

http://www.amazon.com/DandyCase-Black-Waterproof-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B008X74EUO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398287057&sr=8-3&keywords=waterproof+iphone+5+case

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bought a Fujifilm XP water/shock/dust/freeze proof. It has it's quirks but I have enjoyed it for our water excursion. I love the video recording function. I have used it to get in the water video of my kids snorkeling. If you check out my screen name on YouTube, my latest video has pictures & video taken with this camera. I have had it a couple years and I think I paid $100 for it. Hope this helps.

I have the Fuji XP20. I got it from Target in Jan 2013 for a trip to Atlantis in Nassau. It was about $100. It's become my go-to camera. It's small and easy to use. I think the value is tremendous - we take tons of pics now that we wouldn't have otherwise. We have photos at waterparks, splashgrounds, beach, even our own pool.

Battery life is reasonable. Can be sluggish if SD card gets too full, but that's a manageable issue.

I'd never buy a expensive underwater camera, but I am very pleased with the one I got. Without it, I'd never have this: <a href=Travis_Underwater_2013.jpg' alt='Travis_

I have been looking around, too, but have been unwilling to spend $150-$250 for a camera that might not get a ton of use. We have an old Canon Elph that has fallen to the wayside since my DSLR and iPhone take care of all my normal photography needs, but I decided to get one of these to house the Elph:

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Dive-Rated-Waterproof-Housing-Powershot/dp/B0050051QI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398381944&sr=8-3&keywords=waterproof+camera+case

It got pretty good reviews, and this camera sits around unused in our house, so why not? We're sailing in two weeks, so I'll report back on it!

we have the Kodak Playsport, bought from Amazon...AWESOME little camera, you can do video and regular photos...our trip with the stingrays in Grand Caymen was awesome and the photos from the Playsport..fab...couldn't ask for better...we use it while boating as well...good luck :D