Royal Ramblas or Olivia Plaza

Robbydobs21

I would appreciate any advice on this decision as I am getting overwhelmed with all the information I am reading. I have bookings for both these hotels for a 5 night pre cruise stay and as we are coming in June I must make a decision for one of them. I was at first attracted by the excitement of Les Ramblas but am now wondering if I have made a bad choice with talk of noise, pick pockets and overly priced tapas/ restaurants. We like to be near the "centre" of a city but I am having my doubts. Which would be better to get the "feel" of Barcelona without the negative aspects. Also close to transport hubs is important.

I would appreciate any advice on this decision as I am getting overwhelmed with all the information I am reading. I have bookings for both these hotels for a 5 night pre cruise stay and as we are coming in June I must make a decision for one of them. I was at first attracted by the excitement of Les Ramblas but am now wondering if I have made a bad choice with talk of noise, pick pockets and overly priced tapas/ restaurants. We like to be near the "centre" of a city but I am having my doubts. Which would be better to get the "feel" of Barcelona without the negative aspects. Also close to transport hubs is important.

There are two distinct points of view about La Rambla. I'm in the negative camp for all the reasons you've mentioned. However, the Rambla enthusiasts are just as passionate about their point of view and those folks book their favorite hotel repeatedly. There really is a solution to your problem that doesn't involve staying on on La Rambla. First of all, the city center is the Placa (Plaza) Catalunya. This location puts you in easy walking distance or access to the subway system to the Gaudi buildings somewhat north in the newer section of the city, the Eixample. Ditto for easy access to the older sections: the Gothic Quarter and the sea side/Olympic site in Barceloneta.

If you do a search for "hotels near Placa Catalunya" the Booking.com web site will turn up 644 hotels. At least half really aren't as close to Placa Catalunya as you and I would like, but even the remaining hotels offers you lots of choices.

There is a handful of hotels about a block west of the northern end of La Rambla and over a dozen off the Rambla itself in the middle or southern end if that's still your heart's desire. Somewhat east of La Rambla, you'll find about 10 choices in the Gothic Quarter (El Bari Gotic). Incidentally, the northern end of La Rambla ends at Placa Catalunya, the central hub for all the Metro lines. (See link below)

You'll find lots of hotels in the streets just off the Placa Catalunya on the Booking.com site.

Using the Trip Advisor neighborhood listing feature for hotels is confusing. When I choose "Eixample" as the neighborhood name, I get lots of hotels around La Rambla and few around Placa Catalunya based on their locations on the map view. That contradicts any other site you might visit to learn about the different neighborhoods, barrios, in Barcelona. To keep the confusion going, when I choose "El Bari Gotic" the Trip Advisor map view shows me hotels in the actual Gothic Quarter, but also includes many hotels around Placa Catalunya and somewhat north, the area considered to be the Eixample.

I haven't looked up the location of the your non-Rambla hotel choice. Perhaps you'll discover it is close to the Placa Catalunya and your search will be over. If not, I hope this new information will help you.

http://www.barcelonanet.org/barcelona_metro.pdf

Edited by Pet Nit Noy