Olden in september 2014 - glacier visits

Hello Everyone

We will be travelling on Adventure of the Seas in September 14 and will be visiting Olden on 9th September between 8 am and 3 pm.

Would like to go and see one of the glaciers. Briksdal or Kjenndalen

Which one would you recommend as being the best to see

Is there any public transport available. Have been in touch with local Tourist office who say that there is not. Don't particularly like using ship excursions but will have to bite the bullet if that is the only option available.

Many thanks in advance

Elaine

You'll find a lot of interesting informations on this forum : just search the thread called "Briksdal Glacier" or type "Olden" on this forum, there are other good threads about it. You can also type " bus to briksdal" on google, and you'll got the timetables and formers tourists commentaries and pictures. Sorry not being able to give you the links : I didn't find the way to do it on ipad!

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

Hello Everyone

We will be travelling on Adventure of the Seas in September 14 and will be visiting Olden on 9th September between 8 am and 3 pm.

Is there any public transport available. Have been in touch with local Tourist office who say that there is not. Don't particularly like using ship excursions but will have to bite the bullet if that is the only option available.

Many thanks in advance

Elaine

The Briksdal glacier is the largest and most visited.

There is a local bus and here is the schedule.

Going:

http://reise2.fjord1.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/14-751.htm

Return:

http://reise2.fjord1.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/r/14-751.htm

This is taken from another thread here on CC:

We were also in Olden on a P&O cruise but wanted to make our own way to the Glacier. There wasn't a bus stop or sign near where the ship docked but the shopkeeper in the souvenir shop (NOT the tourist information office, who tried to sell us their taxi service when we asked about the bus) directed us to it. The bus arrived right on schedule at 9.45am. A few other passengers got on at the nearby ICA supermarket where there is a bus stop sign, so you could go there if you're unsure about where to go. The journey was 45 krone per person each way. It was a beautiful drive around two greeny-blue lakes.

On arrival, we walked from the car park to the Glacier in around an hour (but with lots of stops for photographs!). We walked back down in around 30 minutes and took the 1.30pm bus back.

Beautiful scenery, gorgeous waterfalls and stunning Glacier

I hope this helps:)

Remember September is autumn with the weather to go with it:)

• 8 months later...

Hi Elaine

We will be doing a similar cruise but in September 2015. I know they stop the bus transport to the Briksdal Glacier at the end of August. Did you get to the Glacier and if so, how? Did you end up doing the ship's tour? I look foward to hearing from you

Hello Everyone

Many thanks in advance

Elaine

Hi Elaine

We are doing a similar cruise in September 2015 and would like to go from Olden to the Briksdal Glacier. Did you end up getting transport? I have read that the buses stop at the end of August. Did you end up doing the ship's tour? Looking forward to hearing from you

• 3 weeks later...

Our cruise ship called at Olden last June (Adventure of the Seas).

I found the sail in to be very surreal and beautiful.

[YOUTUBE]9FwrOsvAWG8[/YOUTUBE]

We didn't go to the glaciers and didn't join a ship's tour. Just took a nearby tram ride. The trams were waiting right outside the port, very near the ship. Our call was fairly short.

[YOUTUBE]AsmtIRL__Ug[/YOUTUBE]

Rest of what we did in Olden in my cruise blog.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/07/adventure-of-seas-day-11-sailing-into.html