Just back from Post-Noro Indy 6 Day – Some Random Points

KMagz

.... And the cabin attendants and waiters were also far from the best we've had in the past. We've had some very bubbly attendants and waiters were fun to be around. ...

It's all the luck of the draw I guess. Our assistant waiter kept all his tables entertained performing magic tricks each night. Good fun. And yes, Mike was OK as CD. But I guess there's a reason he is only a fill-in and not a full time CD.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise.

Regarding getting an upgrade at the pier, was this a "free" upgrade and did they offer it up to you or did you inquire?

It was a total surprise to me. We are emerald status and when I checked in we were supposed to have an ocean view. The agent didn't mention anything to me. When I went to my cabin my key didn't work so I called guest services and was told of upgrade. A bit of a screw up on the agents side I guess but I wasn't complaining! Ended up with an aft corner balcony. Was amazing! :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not going to do a full blown review but here are some general points / observations.

It was a wonderful cruise. Independence of the Seas is in incredible shape. If you told me this was its maiden voyage I would believe you. Only areas I saw some wear? Some rust on the hull near the anchor – which the crew painted one day in port. And our balcony railings needed varnish – which (you guessed it) was re-varnished one day while we were in port.

Norovirus concerns: Our sailing was the one immediately AFTER a Noro outbreak. Boarding was delayed until 1:30 PM or so (just like RCCL said it would be.) Staterooms were not ready until 3:30 PM. But we were allowed to serve ourselves in the WindJammer. Sprinkles frozen yogurt was not available until about Day 4 or 5. Hot dogs were not available at The Squeeze Bar until day 5. I heard of NO outbreaks. Good job crew and passengers!

By the way is there alcohol in Purell hand sanitizer? If so I may need to check my hands into a 12-Step Program. :) There were Purell dispensers EVERYWHERE and crew members are quite the enforcers. Again, excellent job.

Shows: The ice show (“Freeze Frame”) on Indy was our favorite of all the RCCL ice shows we’ve seen. (Been on 6 other ships with ice shows including Oasis & Allure.) In the main theater they premiered a new production show – called “Center Stage” (I think) -- our last night of the cruise. It is EXCELLENT. They essentially combine all the musicians on the ship in the orchestra (including the Latin band, string players, pianist) along with singing and dancing, an acrobat, great music choices, wonderful set/lighting/sound. It had one or two slow spots but otherwise was high energy entertainment.

Special mention for “Rock The Boat” a classic rock band (usually in the lounge on Deck 5.) These guys are GREAT. Check them out if you’re a classic rock fan. Musicians in general around this ship are outstanding.

I recall a few threads several months ago concerning poor crew attitude or general ‘funk’ on Indy. Now that I’m back I can say… WHAT? The only funk I experienced was in the Royal Promenade during the 70’s Dance party. :) Wonderful, wonderful crew! The equal of any other RCCL ship.

Ports: Just walked around a bit in Grand Cayman. In Jamaica we hired a private tour through knowjamaica.com (look them up on tripadvisor.) HIGHLY recommended. Did Dunn’s River Falls, the Blue Hole, had lunch (Jamaican beef patties!) and even stopped at a supermarket for some non-tourist pricing on coffee beans. We were the first ones to the Falls and first ones to The Blue Hole. We also really enjoyed Labadee. So much more developed than the last time we were there. Got a kick out of the welcome party as Indy docked -- (Jetskis, boats, parasail, whistles, banners, flags, etc… circling the ship. Lots of fun.) We did the JetSki tour and some in our party did the ZipLine. By the way, the ZipLine may be the most expensive 45 seconds of your life not counting lap dances.

Random Stuff: We did not eat in any specialty restaurants. WindJammer and MDR were as expected. Nothing over-the-top outstanding, nor nothing terrible. Mike Hunnerup was our fill-in cruise director. (Don’t quote me on the spelling.) He did a good job. I’ve give him a “B.” Scary page broadcast around the entire ship at 3:30 AM one morning asking two passengers to please contact guest services immediately. Betting there was a curfew infraction -- hoping all turned out OK with that and that they're not grounded for, say, the rest of their teenage years.

I know this is really just a summary but thought some CC readers may find it useful. This was a stellar cruise – would sail on Indy without a second thought.

Thank you good to know.

Hot dogs were not available at The Squeeze Bar until day 5.

Well you learn something new every day........7 cruises on Indy (including two since the re-fit last year) and I never knew they did hot dogs at the Squeeze Bar - how on earth did I miss that lol :confused:. We're back on in October so I'll have to make sure I visit then. Thanks for the review, Indy is my favourite ship and I love reading good things about it :)

one thing i was wondering if anyone knows

when it comes over here for the summer

do the staff change?

I am hoping that rock the boat are still there as really looking forward to seeing them also if the staff stay the same can you give any info on what the nightly shows are?

)

Sadly the production and ice shows haven't changed since our first cruise on Indy :(. We hoped we might get something different after the re-fit but no, still the same ones that have been on since 2008, having said that, if it's your first time on Indy then you will love them as they aren't things that date. The ice shows are amazing and I could (and have) watch them time after time but although the production shows are good there is a limit to how many times I want to see them and I reached that limit a long time ago.

I'm sure Rock the Boat will be there for you as they've been on every cruise we've done on Indy :). It's likely that when you cruise you will have Joff Eaton as the CD, he looks and sounds like a younger version of John Cleese and I find him very funny, he's the first (and only) CD who actually made an impression on me. Make sure you try out the Schooner Bar, we've had various entertainers in there, some good and some not so good, but give it a try.

Have a great cruise.

Gill

Well you learn something new every day........7 cruises on Indy (including two since the re-fit last year) and I never knew they did hot dogs at the Squeeze Bar - how on earth did I miss that lol :confused:. We're back on in October so I'll have to make sure I visit then.

Hot dogs, bratwurst and sausages on toasted specialty rolls at The Squeeze Bat. Very convenient if you're at the pool. I found out about them here on Cruise Critic too before we sailed!

Hot dogs, bratwurst and sausages on toasted specialty rolls at The Squeeze Bat. Very convenient if you're at the pool. I found out about them here on Cruise Critic too before we sailed!

Thanks :), I'll look forward to that. We've often said that it's a shame that Indy doesn't have some sort of grill bar by the pool.

Gill

Good to know this thanks. What are the juices they serve at Squeeze? Are they fresh or bottled? The info online when I booked our Replenish package mentions enjoying juices but I've only seen mention of freshly squeezed orange juice. Bottled juice is excluded but as Squeeze is noted as a juice bar I wondered if they did something different?

A

...........It's likely that when you cruise you will have Joff Eaton as the CD, he looks and sounds like a younger version of John Cleese and I find him very funny, he's the first (and only) CD who actually made an impression on me.........

I agree. He was CD in Oct when we were there. He is good. Isn't his wife the port shopping lady?