Tried Princess this weekend

I have been on the Golden a couple of times and the sister of the Breeze, the Magic (Breeze is next month :D ). Anyway, I agree with others that you aren't comparing apples to apples. A 1-day cruise will be nothing like a week-long cruise. Also, Carnival's newest and largest ship that has all the bells and whistles won't have the same features as one of Princess' older and smaller ships, which is elegant but basic. In one day you didn't even discover Princess' homemade ice cream, which is really delicious. It is the product you get in the dining rooms -- with toppings of your choice. Did you even try the MDR? You might have been in for a treat. It's true, of course, that Breeze has many more food options on and off the Lido, and it really needs to given the number of passengers on board.

I'm not saying that Princess is better than Carnival, or that Carnival is better than Princess. I've sailed both a handful of times, and love both Carnival and Princess cruising experiences, for different reasons. I'm just saying before passing final judgment, take a comparable cruise -- for a similar period of time, and perhaps on a more comparable ship. That way you can learn to appreciate what is good about the cruiseline and make an informed comparison.

Happy cruising!

I think you must have skipped over what I said about the food. I said that the MDR food on Princess was comparable to Carnival but the dining room was nicer. My friend tried the ice cream in the MDR, she said that it was "alright" but I would have probably enjoyed it more, she is not a desert person. I think (and thank you PP for backing me up on the buffet food :-) ) that I was just so shocked at how bad the buffet food was. I agree with your statement about new vs old...I guess, as my only experience was with a ship "with all the bells and whistles" that is what I was expecting. Going to try for a newer ship too but they are hard to come by on the west coast, the newest ones are NCL here.

I had a good time, I do think the entertainment offerings were drastically affected by the one night nature of the cruise which is really too bad...I like comics though so that was ok. I had been really looking forward to the pools in the spa area prior to the cruise and of course that one was shut down and it did put a damper on the pool experience. I will definitely be giving Princess another try if I get another good deal like this because I still had a good time, it just wasn't as great a time as I was hoping for.

The ship was sailing with only 1100 people on board so I really don't know why the buffet was such an utter fail. Things like brown bananas and capers/lemon wedges/onion with no smoked salmon... turkey sausages were really weird, tasted like they were filled with rehydrated powder lol. Pizza (not on buffet!) was phenomenally good....wish I could have a slice of it right now lol :-) mmmmmm and another lovely frosty drink...we had a great bartender :-)

We are "trying" a 1-nighter on Grand Princess in a couple of weeks. :D

I've been on 5 of these one nighters and have never had a bad experience. I've always enjoyed the International Cafe and the MDR. Entertainment has been wonderful and my daughter has loved the kids program.

Back again in a week and in September as well. Having these count to the loyalty program is fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk