Dive Charters - Eastern Caribbean

budaman

I know our cruise is still a ways off, but it's never too early to do some research.

We will be on Jewel of the Seas in Feb. and want to dive Antigua, St Maarteen, St Thomas/St John and possibly Nassau. Anyone have recommendations on operators in these locations. Would prefer to charter or use someone with 6-8 divers max. We did this in Cozumel with your help and was much better than the Ship dive in Grand Cayman. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

Of the islands on your trip, my opinion is dive in St. Thomas. I'd use Chris Sawyer as a first choice though there are a couple of other operators worth considering. Admiralty dive uses small six pack boats, will pick up at the cruise dock and also offers a 3 tank dive trip for those wanting to maximize their bottom time. If you are traveling in a mixed group of divers/non-divers and want to stay together Coki Beach is a good place to go. Check www.cokidive.com

I would skip diving in St. Maarten. I was pretty disappointed. Next time I'd go to Orient Beach.

Nassau in the Bahamas would be the place to try a shark dive. I'm afraid that I can't give any personal recommendations on who to use there. It will depend a lot on when you will be in port.

Antigua is a mystery to me. You might have better luck getting recommendations for dive operators over at www.scubaboard.com in their greater Caribbean section.

Thanks Bruce. Went over to the Scubaboards sight and it sure was an eyeopener. Looked at threads on Sint Maarteen and Antigua and the comments about the diving those areas surprised me immensly. Thought it would be excellent but there were very few good reports. Was kind of afraid to pull up St Thomas/St John. Still, it should provide some entertaining dives.....much better than hanging out and shopping:D

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

We have dove in both St. Thomas and St. Marteen. I would not skip- St. Marteen.

In St. Thomas, we dove with both Chris Sawyers and Coki Beach. They are both on the "other side" of the island from the cruise ship terminal. We found Chris Sawyer a more professional set up, but they were both small shops. Coki Beach did not even stop at the shop, they went right to the beach and we left from there. I would book Chris Sawyer first and then Coki Beach. Coki was rough in handling our equipment and had a smaller boat. All were very friendly.

In St. Marteen.... Don't go with Dive Safari... (cruise ships dive operator). Instead, give Little Bay Watersports and Dive Shop a chance. They have a 30 foot boat. It has space for up to 16 divers, but apparently there are not a lot of divers on the island and when we went last month, there were only five divers, a divemaster and a boat captain. They are a 10 minute cab ride from the pier. Email them at info@littlebaywatersports.com.

THe clarity of the water was the same as St. Thomas when we dove in July 20 and 21. About 60-70 feet. Nice sponges and corals to look at as well.

Thanks Woodmaster! That's what's great about these Boards. Just when you've about given up on any more opinions, POP....there's another one. Bruce or Wood, have either been to Saba and is it feasable to try and get there in the amount of time we're on Sint Maarteen?

Thanks

Mike

http://www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

Thanks Woodmaster! That's what's great about these Boards. Just when you've about given up on any more opinions, POP....there's another one. Bruce or Wood, have either been to Saba and is it feasable to try and get there in the amount of time we're on Sint Maarteen?
I have read that the diving on Saba is quite a bit better than St. Maarten, but as far as getting there during the limited time you have while on a cruise, I think that might be a bit too much pressure for most people. You would definitely be on your own in arranging the transportation..

As for diving St. Maarten, when I did it it was in December and the ocean swells were pretty big. This would account for the low vis and the poor selection of available dive sites. If the ocean had been calm, I'm sure the diving would have been markedly better. Let the ocean conditions the day you are there factor into your decision to dive or not.

I still would like to go to Orient Beach for some "sight seeing" if you know what I mean ;)

Come on Bruce...just tell him the "naked truth" about Orient Beach. Just watching as we returned to the ship, there were a few thong bikinis being worn and in full display.

We were laughing our butts off when our table waiter asked us if we had gone to orient..... We told him no and the tales of the beach began....

Hidden cameras under towels and hand carried tee-shirts....He said that it was mostly people who should wear more clothing than less. It was hilarious.

Our weather was great. There were well spaced out 2-3 foot swells with no chop. There were occasional 4 footers, but not a lot.

The Explorer was there from 8:00 til 3:00. I would not venture away from the island unless I had back up flight arrangements to the next island.

The cruise ship docks are within sight of where we boarded our dive boat.

Unlike BruceJr, our closest decent diving is 15 to 20 miles off of the coast......where I live.

I dive every port I get a chance to make, but if the conditions continuously sucked, I would pass them by the next trip. The only place I feel that way that the cruise ships that we ride go is Key West. So Far.

Have a great trip.

Have heard of Orient Beach and we might have to make a cursory glance at it. Several years ago, they allowed topless bathing at Barton Springs here and as you mentioned, those that should, didn't and those that shouldn't, did :eek:

When we were in Key West, we didn't dive, but our niece did and was not real impressed. Did enjoy Cayman & Cozumel very much. We are going on a land vacation to GC in October because they will finally have our condos rebuilt and hope to get much diving on the East end this trip. I'm sure we will dive St Thomas, Sint Maartten and Antigua on our cruise since we aren't shoppers per say and figure we will get our sightseeing in from the dive boats. Might try Nassau but we're only ther from noon till 6.

Thanks for the info!

Mike

http://www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

Come on Bruce...just tell him the "naked truth" about Orient Beach.
Hee Hee...

Unlike BruceJr, our closest decent diving is 15 to 20 miles off of the coast......where I live..
Lucky you, I have a 3 hour drive to acceptable diving.

Archived