Just Back from Carnival Legend 7/24 - 8/01

YvonneK

Just got home today from our wonderful cruise on the Carnival Legend. I was so glad that I had read these message boards prior to cruising as there were many great suggestions and tips! The first great tip that someone gave me was to get to the pier early (between 10 - 11AM). You can check in right away. You will have to sit for a while and wait but you will be the first group onboard. Once they are ready for people to board the ship they will do it according to the row you are sitting in. Some people who arrived a little later at the pier decided they were going to walk up toward the front and stand in between the rows of seats. A woman who worked for Carnival kept telling them that they had to move back so they did just a little and then they kept moving up again. I guess they thought they could arrive later and be the first ones on the ship?? People who did arrive early and were sitting in their seats were really annoyed. Finally this big guy came out of nowhere and did move those people all the way back and everyone clapped and cheered. They were known on the ship as the "cutters". How embarassing! So - although it took a few hours to board the ship I was very happy with the embarkation process! I felt it was done very orderly. Any questions I will try to answer. The Carnival Legend is a beautiful ship!

I was also on this trip with my family - best food I have had on a cruise - period. This was my ninth - I was also on this ship 2 years ago and most things were improved (the Legend's Cafe's coffee was not nearly as good as then). Service was great, ship was great - what a pleasure this ship was compared to The RCL Voyager of the Seas that I took last summer. More elevators with 1000 less people made it a breeze to catch an elevator, no roaming kid problem all hours of the night and again - the food the food and the food. There were some MINOR complaints but that is normal. My son's bag was delivered late and SOAKING WET. After a few lame excuses it was taken care of and we were told what had happened. Bottom line - it was resolved. 2 people that I know of NEVER got their luggage !

Anyone know why 2 people left the ship in St. Thomas ?

See ya

Larry

I felt it was done very orderly. Any questions I will try to answer. The Carnival Legend is a beautiful ship!

Cruising on the Carnival Legend 6/13-6/21/2006. What are some things on the ship that you would tell me definitely NOT to miss out on? Any suggestions of things that you didn't take that you wished you would have?

Thanks!:D

Formal nights are the 2nd night and the 7th night. You are at sea on both of those days so plenty of time to get ready. There are photo spots all around the ship and I've never seen so many different backgrounds! They are taking pictures of you all the time - at dinner, in the lounges and of course when you get off the ship at ports. There were many kids of all ages on this cruise but that's too be expected during the summer. I didn't really see any problems with them though. My DH and I went to the aft pool (adults only) every morning and it wasn't as crowded there. We just got off the ship in San Juan and walked around. It was a good time to use the cell phone to call home. Also went into the "Linen House" store to buy those doilies and placemats that my mom loves. We didn't dock until 3PM so the excursions weren't as appealing to us. I didn't go to the spa at all on this cruise. They did announce some spa specials for the days we were in port and also for the last day of the cruise. I have no idea why a couple got off in St. Thomas. Sometimes the entertainers that they hire for the ship - the comedians etc. get on and off the ship while we are in port. I hope they didn't get bad news and have to fly back home. The first cruise we were on a couple that we knew found out that her brother had passed away just a few days after we sailed so they had to get off at the first port and fly back home. Very sad.

Welcome back!!!! MY DH and I cannot wait to go. We are leaving next Tues on the Legend! :D The past couple of times we left from NY there was not too much organization involved. People managed to get on line earlier or sit elsewhere and so on. Basically it was a bit chaotic. Has Carnival enforced different rules now for boarding the ship?

We just got back from that cruise as well. We had a great time. Our group staked out our little spot at one of the tables in the shade by the aft "adult" pool and that's where we spent our days at sea. Two thumbs up to Carnival for keeping the adult pool area an adult pool area. They did a great job of enforcing.

I even bumped into CC member Marge who sang at the talent show :)

Yes I thought the whole embarkation process was very orderly. They seem to be enforcing the rules. They seat you in rows after you sign in and when they start the boarding process they start with the first row. They even tell you not to stand until you are told or they will stop the whole thing! I was glad the people who arrived later didn't get to sneak up to the front and board first. We did have to wait until around 1PM to board though. We were told by the passengers getting off the previous cruise that they did not dock until 9:30AM. The Captain took the ship off course somewhat to try to steer away from TS Franklin. And yes, the adult only pool was great! I saw Marge too when we first arrived at the pier and also in the Talent Show. She was great!

:) HI Yvonne!!! Hi Herb!!! :)

wow, it was so great to meet both of you. I got to meet one other CC member, Dragonflylady. I too was impressed with the new embarkation process Carnival has implemented. Definetly a huge plus! I got to meet Yvonne and we chatted for a while during our wait to board.

I Loved, Loved, Loved my cruise. I didnt want it to end. Everything was great. I have not one complaint.! Food was great (I must have gained a few pounds for sure :eek: ..heck, its vacation), my room steward & dining room servers were excellent. We had super weather! As we left Tortola we hit that storm which is brewing down there at the moment. But the morning was great during my excursion to the Baths in Virgin Gorda then the weather started to change and the ship was rocking and rolling. When I went to the past guest reception that evening, I asked Captain Cupisti if we were hitting a storm and he replied ( in his Italian accent which I loved), Yesa, anda itsa gonna geta worse buta nota fora tooah longa. Hey, he gave me an honest answer. It wasnt so bad, but my son got naseous. Then again, he is sensitive to motion sickness.

I took a taxi to Escambron beach when I got to Puerto Rico. Now thats a real native PR beach. It looked to me like when they got home from work, they headed to the beach. It was a great experience and only 5 minutes from the ship and $6 bucks each way for the 3 of us. I snorkled while I was there. If I go to PR again, Ill go to Isla Verde beach which is about 15 min from the ship. Also, the beachs at Condado are nice too.

St Thomas: I went to Secret Harbor. One of the best kept secrets. Excellent snorkeling!! and a beautiful beach lined with palm trees. Its in a Marine sanctuary as well. Right off the beach there is a real nice coral reef teaming with soooo many fish, sea turtles & a sting ray. Lots of Igunas on the beach too.. I think there must have been 10 people on the beach. What a score that was.

Tortola: The Baths in Virgin Gorda. My second time. Its an awesome place and its like swimming in a fish tank. I had the swim of my life there. I decided to go to Devils bay, which is at the end of the walk up and down through the boulder strewn beach. I didnt take my fins as I needed my hands free to go over rocks. So I follow my 13 yr old son out towards where the boats are dropping off other snorkelers. Its way out there. The water had a chop to it so it makes it more difficult to swim especially with no fins. After exploring an area between two boulders, which my son called a secret cave, a quick rain shower came over us and a wind as well. I never saw the ocean change so quickly and Ive been doing this for 40 years. Im screaming at my son to start swimming to shore which has to be about 1 1/2 city blocks away (he was in oblivion watching schools of fish). Im not kidding. I got scared. I saw myself getting sucked out to sea and no one would know it..(all the other snorklers got on their boats). So here I am WITH NO FINS swimming like a mad women against a wind. (with fins it would be easy). When I got to shore, I was exhausted to say the least. Then we had to schlep back over the boulders and then back up the hill cause we had to leave. I must have lost 10 pounds doing all that, LOL.

I was in the Talent show and by the end of the cruise I had a fan club on board. It was such a hoot. Im glad everyone enjoyed the performance.

Any questions, Id be happy to answer.

The Legend is a beautiful ship and I highly recommend her. I spend alot of $$ on the magnificent pictures they took. They do a stellar job.

Now, Im looking into my next cruise. Carnival is building the largest ship ever. It doesnt have a name yet. Now that ought to be something. We were told about it during the past guest reception.

Hi Marge,

I agree with you!! It was such a great cruise we didn't want it to end. We were at the Baths too but we didn't go through the boulders to the other beach. Maybe that's why I didn't see you there. I'm so glad I went to see the Baths though. Our shore excursions were totally wonderful. We loved your singing too. Hope we meet up again on another cruise sometime. I'd know your voice anywhere!

Hi Yvonne! My boyfriend and I just got back from our first cruise ever and we sailed on the Legend from NYC and got back on the 24th! I admit that we are still in vacation mode and we had the absolute BEST TIME OF OUR LIVES!! The Legend was EXCELLENT, everything went above and beyond our wildest dreams and we will definitely sail Carnival again. We loved PR and will definitely go back, and I actually went through the Caves in Tortola and took amazing pics! This was our first vacation together, our first time out of the country and was very, very romantic. I would absolutely recommend this amazing ship to everyone because you will have a BLAST!!

http://www.secretharborvi.com

Check out the website! They are a condo hotel and the beach is open to all.

It has restrooms, a bar and a nice restaurant.

Yes!. You can rent a chaise lounge for $5. for the day. Taxi is no problem. Just go to the lobby of the hotel and ask them to call you a cab. you dont need an umbrella..there is wonderful shade with the palm trees.

Marge,

Thanks for the great review - I think you have me sold on the Legend. We sailed her sister ship, the Miracle in February and are sailing the Miracle again for President's week - taking my 16-year old son this time and some friends. But for summer of 07, we were thinking of the Legend - my older son will be graduating college, so we want to get a whole group to go.

I was a little hesitant about the 2-1/2 days at sea each way, but I guess it's kind of relaxing (as opposed to the Miracle with 4 ports - not much down time at all)!!! Also, were the seas rough sailing from NY? That's my only concern - when we went to Bermuda years ago and to Nova Scotia once in October, we had a few rough sea days.

Did you do your excursions on your own or through the cruise ship? Especially the Baths - since I know you don't have much time at all in Tortola.

The last time we were in St. Thomas we took the ferry over to Trunk Bay in St. John's, which was beautiful. I've also heard about Magen's Bay in St. Thomas - how do they compare to Secret Harbor? Any idea?

Good to hear about those beaches in San Juan - we didn't do much except walk around a little when we were there.

Anyway, would love to have your input on the above. Thanks again for all the info. and a great review . . .:)

:) Wow, it really sounds like you all had a great time! It was great to read all the positive stuff in your reviews..( i do tend to skip over anything negative anyway...i'll make up my own mind!;) )

...i know its probably too soon to ask but....anyone going to have pics to show us!!! Thanks!

Jane

Carnival Queen:

Some answers to your questions: In general, the north Atlantic is a rougher ocean. I feel it was great both ways, except for the day we left out of Tortola. It got a bit rough. They are now watching that area we passed through as a TS. We all have our conception of what rough is for sailing so its hard for me to answer that. If you hit a storm, or if you have high winds, the ship will rock a bit more. It doesnt affect me like it does others. My son on the other hand is sensitive. Just bring Bonine, dramamine, sea band, everything you might need, just to have it. I saw alot of ppl wearing the patch behind their ear. You can get that at your DR. I would say, dont worry, and go for it. 2 sea days are super. It goes by so fast.

On Secret Harbor. What are you looking for in a beach? Megans bay is gorgeous, but it has hordes of tourists and the snorkeling is not so good. Trunk Bay in St John is spectacular, but again, loaded with people. I have been to many of the beaches. Its all about what you want. What I can tell you about Secret Harbor is that its small compared to Trunk & Megan, but you cannot beat it for the solitude and the excellent snorkeling. It is not a place where the tourists go in general because its apart of the hotel that is there, but it is a public beach nevertheless and, in my opinion, a hidden jewel. If too many tourists where there, I think because of its small size and the fact its a marine sanctuary, the high impact could be detrimental, especially to the reef. Im hoping they continue to not over publicize it.

The baths: because of the short port time, I didnt want to take a chance on doing it on my own, otherwise, I would have definetly done it. Its alot cheaper on your own. Take the ships excursion and you wont be fretting about getting the ferry back in time. If they have a problem, the ship will wait till they return. If you do it on your own, and have a problem, then your out of luck. The ship will not wait for you. :eek:

Vanderos: Im sorry I cant answer your question. Because I dont drink, I never took any notice about wine tasting. But I think I did see somewhere something about that. They have everything on that ship. There really is alot to do or not to do, you call the shots.

Happy Sailing to all of you!

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking the Legend for a 9/9/2006 booking. I was a little leary about going back to Carnival. Our first ever cruise was in 1996 on the Fantasy. Since then we have sailed DCL 4 times. Comparing the two was like comparing a yacht to a row boat. For those in the know about Carnival are the Legend and the Fantasy two totally different experiences? Is it fare to judge Carnival by the Fantasy.

(If you were to ask me what I didn't like about the Fantasy, it was a while ago and hard to compare, since it was our first cruise. I do recall walking out of the show, because we got lousy seats in the back, behind a pillar. We had an outside stateroom with a porthole and I felt very confined - as opposed to the spaciousness of the DCL veranda rooms we booked afterwards. Other than that, it's nothing I can put my fingure on, just an overall impression of not being thrilled with the ship)

gometros-

i've never been on the fantasy, but was just on the legend.

if you get to the shows on time or a few minutes early, finding a good seat should not be a problem.

regarding cabins, if you choose a cabin with a porthole, then yes, it is more confining than a cabin with a balcony/veranda. not really fair to compare the two - just choose a bigger cabin with a balcony.

Thanks. I've learned since sailing DCL that the only way to sail (for me) is with a balcony. Nothing like getting up early in the morning and having my coffee back on the balcony.

One other question for anyone that knows. We are sailing with friends who will be first-time sailors. They're a little more fiscally conservative than us, so as a compromise, we are looking at the 8E staterooms. I noticed there are some in the stern. Are they any different/better/worse than the staterooms midships?

Thanks for your review, it got me all excited about our cruise...no really thanks a lot! Never mind that it is seven months away...sheesh! Just kidding ;)

That whole boarding thing was a real drawback for us, one of the few things we liked better about Princess. It used to be such a breeze when they had the pre check-in at a hotel the day before. You walked in with your cruise ticket and the green sticker that indicated you were ready to go, no line until you got to the x-ray then you walked right on the ship only stopping to get your S&S card/key and take those stupid embarkation photos.

We have had to do that whole sit and wait thing for hours on our past couple Carnival cruises. One in particular we had to wait because the ship got back late. As the room filled to capacity we gave up our seats to accomodate some elderly folks who came later. They were having trouble standing and we just couldn't allow them to suffer while myself, the DH and the kids sat comfortably. I'll tell you what what though, I was fighting mad when those Carnival folks came over and started shoving us around and telling us to wait our turn. Fortunately the elderly folks confirmed that we had been kind enough to give up our seats to them and they left us alone.

OK, now about the Legend...we have been on the Spirit a few times and loved it. We are excited about this ship and would love to continue to hear your thoughts about her. What else was great. Did anyone visit the gym? Can you tell me if it's just like the Spirit? Looks like it.

Do they have that deli with the fabulous pastrami on rye?

Could anyone recommend either a standard balcony, or extended balcony. Besides the obvious, the standard is about $120 cheaper and I wondered if it's really worth it. We have had the extended but not the standard, does it seem that much smaller? Should I just quit trying to save a buck and relax? :o

Archived