Has anyone stayed at Tampa Riverwalk hotel?

Charasti

Yes I've stayed at the Riverwalk hotel. It was a Raddison property till not to long ago. The location is not bad, it is on the west side of downtown and the pier and Chanelside is on the East side-maybe 3/4 of a mile. It used to participate with priceline (not sure if it still does) and was listed as a 3*. Whether I stay here or elsewhere is based on price. What price did you get?

IMHO I would not do the Riverwalk at $159 for your date. A quick look at travelocity shows the downtown Hyatt at $139. or the Marriott Waterside at $169. I would do either of these first before the Riverwalk. I would be glad to give you some ideas if you can list these in order of importance.

A) Nice hotel at good value

B) Close to port (within 1 mile vs 6 miles-ie.Grand Hyatt)

c) Nicest hotel regardless of price.

Would you consider using priceline?

Hi, I'll be going on the exact same cruise the week before her. Carnival Miracle 9/26. I just called the Riverwalk today, and she said they're all booked up that week cause of a convention (the week before my cruise). But if you found prices like that at the Hyatt and/or Marriott that would be great! Also, I don't know if any of you are in the area but how about staying on the beach in Clearwater? If you have any ideas, that would be great. Thanks!

Hi, I'll be going on the exact same cruise the week before her. Carnival Miracle 9/26. I just called the Riverwalk today, and she said they're all booked up that week cause of a convention (the week before my cruise). But if you found prices like that at the Hyatt and/or Marriott that would be great! Also, I don't know if any of you are in the area but how about staying on the beach in Clearwater? If you have any ideas, that would be great. Thanks!

Isn't the Miracle Sun-Sun making your cruise 9/25, meaning your looking for the night of 9/24/05?

There is nothing wrong with staying in Clearwater if that's what you want. Your looking at a 30-45 minute drive and of course probably renting a car. If you are looking at a Sat. nite stay, that of course is the busiest time for the beach so it makes it harder to find a deal.

One plan of attack is to make a cancellable reservation with somewhere you can live with if all else fails. Without knowing more, one that jumps out at me if indeed you need a reservation for 9/24 is The Hampton Inn Ybor/Downtown with a AAA rate of $112. or $125 without. This is cancellable up till 6pm day of stay. Pretty new Hampton Inn, good choice if you like nightlife, less than a mile to port. There, whew! now the pressure is off lets talk about what is ideal for you.

Hello, we are leaving on a 9/4/05 cruise and I was thinking about booking at Marriott Waterside. The price is quite a bit more than the Hyatt downtown. Is the Marriott that much nocer of a hotel? What about the location to the port?

Thanks!

Hello, we are leaving on a 9/4/05 cruise and I was thinking about booking at Marriott Waterside. The price is quite a bit more than the Hyatt downtown. Is the Marriott that much nocer of a hotel? What about the location to the port?

Thanks!

A quick look at travelocity showed the Waterside at $139 and the Hyatt at $99 for the night of 9/3/05. The Waterside would be my #1 pick for a precruise hotel because of: its location=3-4 blocks from port, possible view of port, trolley goes right by, and has more of a "resort" feel. The Hyatt downtown would probably be (tied with Hyatt Grand for) my #2 pick, still a very nice hotel, a little more of a "business" feel to it, rooms are comprable IMHO, 4-5 blocks farther from port, could possibly have view of port. I've stayed at both of these hotels a few times and they are both very nice, I would normally be willing to pay $10-$20. more for the Waterside, as a precruise that might be slightly more. So I guess that leaves it as kind of a toss up, if the $40 difference is going to stop you from doing something else on the cruise I would do the Hyatt.Both of those rates are pretty good(in their opinion) for those properties. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, mdc. I think it would be easier just to stay somewhat near the port. I had wanted to lie on the beach one day before the cruise, but if the waterside has a view of the port that would be great. Do you, or anyone else here know much about priceline, travelocity etc?? I travel a lot for work, but the rooms are already taken care of and don't need to reserve rooms too often. I don't like the idea of bidding for a room then having to stick to it. As the new commercial goes I'd like to "shop and compare" before I commit to a room. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info, mdc. I think it would be easier just to stay somewhat near the port. I had wanted to lie on the beach one day before the cruise, but if the waterside has a view of the port that would be great. Do you, or anyone else here know much about priceline, travelocity etc?? I travel a lot for work, but the rooms are already taken care of and don't need to reserve rooms too often. I don't like the idea of bidding for a room then having to stick to it. As the new commercial goes I'd like to "shop and compare" before I commit to a room. Thanks again!

Yes I think it would be easier to stay near the port. Yes, I do use priceline. I know what your saying about shop and compare but the savings can be worth it, the key is to do your homework,in this case I'll do some of it for you. If you go to priceline and bid Downtown Tampa(port area) and 3* and your bid is accepted you will recieve one of these 4 hotels: Marriott Waterside, Hyatt downtown, Wyndham Harbor Island, Tampa Riverwalk-listed in my order of preference(very good-good). I would bid $70 and see what happens, keeping in mind that you may get the Riverwalk (still a good value) and hopefully if your lucky something better. All of these have a decent pool area to at least catch some rays and are pretty close to entertainment options.

Hmmm, so that means if I put in those four hotels at that price I might get one at (or near) that price? That could be good, since I've seen the Marriott at about $160. I just don't want to stay at the riverwalk if I could stay at the marriott. Also, I read in one post elsewhere that the hyatt is nice but the pool is tiny. It is only one night though. Thank you for the info.

Vicky

Hmmm, so that means if I put in those four hotels at that price I might get one at (or near) that price? That could be good, since I've seen the Marriott at about $160. I just don't want to stay at the riverwalk if I could stay at the marriott. Also, I read in one post elsewhere that the hyatt is nice but the pool is tiny. It is only one night though. Thank you for the info.

Vicky

You can only specify the general location in this case: downtown Tampa and the star level in this case: 3* therefor you could end up with any of the 4 mentioned above. Of course if the Riverwalk says they are sold out it is highly unlikely that you would end up with it.

Mdc99, what would be your opinion for a starting bid for Tampa Downtown 3* for Saturday Nov 19, 2005 (the Saturday before Thanksgiving. On Tripadvisor.com, I campared all the prices through the searchengines offered and found this availability:

Marriott Waterside: "unavailable" to $279

Hyatt Downtown: $159 - $220.

Wyndham Harboor Island: $224 - $309.

Tampa Riverwalk: $159 - $238.

Also, are you familiar with which hotels are offered through Hotwire for this location?

Thanks for the advice.

A~:)

PS... am familiar with the two bidding strategy sites, but they don't seem to have alot of current Tampa info.

Mdc99, what would be your opinion for a starting bid for Tampa Downtown 3* for Saturday Nov 19, 2005 (the Saturday before Thanksgiving. On Tripadvisor.com, I campared all the prices through the searchengines offered and found this availability:

Marriott Waterside: "unavailable" to $279

Hyatt Downtown: $159 - $220.

Wyndham Harboor Island: $224 - $309.

Tampa Riverwalk: $159 - $238.

Also, are you familiar with which hotels are offered through Hotwire for this location?

Thanks for the advice.

PS... am familiar with the two bidding strategy sites, but they don't seem to have alot of current Tampa info.

I would try $70. although ocassionally there are reports of getting a 3* for a little less. Personally I'm not so worried about saving the last $5-$10 as I am about saving the $80-$100. If you are not immediately succesful I would book a cancellable backup while I continued to try. I would suggest the Marriott Courtyard downtown at $99. for your date.

I am not that familiar with Hotwire, although I do believe I read someone getting the Wyndham Harbor Island on Hotwire as a 4*(a little exaggerated rating in my opinion).

Hope this helps

Thanks for the input.

Have you heard anything about Sailport Waterfront Suites? Did some research on Hotwire, and I think this is the place being offered.

TIA

Not really familiar with the sailport. What appeals to you about it? and the price?

Actually, I was thinking it MAY have been one of the hotels being offered on hotwire.com for $70/night. If it was a decent place, I'd book it. I have to be careful though... I'm booking for DHs family as well. If it was just me and mine, we could deal with a lesser quality for one night, but I don't think I want to subject DHs family with something overpriced and below standards :rolleyes: I may just never hear the end of it... jk

Tried priceline last night (for 1 night, Friday 11/19/05) for the airport area 4* up to $80 w/ rebids, rejected... 3* up to $57 w/ rebids, rejected.

We won't be arriving until 9 something pm, so I'm thinking airport area is best... plus I'm leary of what priceline offers for downtown area. Opinions and suggestions are welcomed.

Actually, I was thinking it MAY have been one of the hotels being offered on hotwire.com for $70/night. If it was a decent place, I'd book it. I have to be careful though... I'm booking for DHs family as well. If it was just me and mine, we could deal with a lesser quality for one night, but I don't think I want to subject DHs family with something overpriced and below standards :rolleyes: I may just never hear the end of it... jk

Tried priceline last night (for 1 night, Friday 11/19/05) for the airport area 4* up to $80 w/ rebids, rejected... 3* up to $57 w/ rebids, rejected.

We won't be arriving until 9 something pm, so I'm thinking airport area is best... plus I'm leary of what priceline offers for downtown area. Opinions and suggestions are welcomed.

I'm kind of surprised that you didn't end up with a 4* at $80. I'm usually succesfull at that price or a little lower, however typically I'm bidding at the last moment. You may want to consider my advice above about the cancellable backup and continue trying via priceline. I would not rule out the downtown 3* hotels they are all good to very good (IMHO) and I am fairly picky. Actually I would be more leary of a couple of possibilities in the 3* airport zone.

Okay another question for mdc if you don't mind (or anyone else that knows): The Marriott waterside seems to be sold out for my date of 9/24. That's the one that I hear about on here, but there is a Marriott Westshore which is available, and the lowest rate for that night is $99 (on marriotts website). Do you know about this hotel? It looks nice. Also, should I just go with that price, or do a priceline bid?? I haven't gotten enough Marriott reward points to use just yet. I just don't want to stay at the Riverwalk when I could stay at a Marriott. Thanks in advance.....

Vicky

Okay another question for mdc if you don't mind (or anyone else that knows): The Marriott waterside seems to be sold out for my date of 9/24. That's the one that I hear about on here, but there is a Marriott Westshore which is available, and the lowest rate for that night is $99 (on marriotts website). Do you know about this hotel? It looks nice. Also, should I just go with that price, or do a priceline bid?? I haven't gotten enough Marriott reward points to use just yet. I just don't want to stay at the Riverwalk when I could stay at a Marriott. Thanks in advance.....

Vicky

I've stayed at the Marriott Westshore a couple of times although it's been a couple of years. It is a nice property, tends to be what I refer to as a business hotel. If it were me I would try a priceline bid for a 4* in the airport/Westshore area in the $70-$80 range. If I wasn't successfull I would book the Marriott, that is a pretty good rate(in their opinion :)). I hope nothing I've said implies that the Riverwalk is not a good property.

I would try $70. although ocassionally there are reports of getting a 3* for a little less. Personally I'm not so worried about saving the last $5-$10 as I am about saving the $80-$100. If you are not immediately succesful I would book a cancellable backup while I continued to try. I would suggest the Marriott Courtyard downtown at $99. for your date.

I am not that familiar with Hotwire, although I do believe I read someone getting the Wyndham Harbor Island on Hotwire as a 4*(a little exaggerated rating in my opinion).

Hope this helps

I just tried Downtown 3*, started at $65, then $70, then $75. all rejected, no counteroffers. Will try Airport area again tomorrow (after 72 hours).

Hate that priceline is like gambling, you get that feeling inside, if I just try one more time... I'll win! :rolleyes: ya know?

Archived