Need Recommendations for Christmas Dinner

pooh012

We will be disembarking in NO Christmas Day and need recommendations for Christmas Dinner for group of seven possibly 8. $$ no object as it will be the childrens first experience traveling away from home during the Christmas holiday so we want dinner to be as special as we can possibly make it.

Thanks

I think you will have a hard time finding something that will be open. Look on NOLA and find a couple of places to call. They should be able to tell you if they are. I really think some of the bigger hotels will be your best bet. Good luck and have great time.

Thanks zydecocruiser. We are not picky or finicky eaters. The youngest among us will be two, a well behaved two, but two none the less. Looking into the staying at the Royal Sonesta hotel so Begues might work out well. Would love to book a suite that might accomodate all or most of the group in the same suite. Thinking of staying over a day or two to enjoy the area. Any ideas on how we might get our hands on a promo code or some type of holiday package other than directly through the hotel?

I don't think Arnaud's will be open. My choice would be Galatoire's and I'm pretty sure they won't be open, either.

Sazarac at the Fairmont is probably open and the angel hair dispaly is a don't miss.

Galatoire's is closed. I checked. Sazarac is open. Thnaks to Zydecocruiser for being helpful with NOLA questions!

Thanks zydecocruiser. We are not picky or finicky eaters. The youngest among us will be two, a well behaved two, but two none the less. Looking into the staying at the Royal Sonesta hotel so Begues might work out well. Would love to book a suite that might accomodate all or most of the group in the same suite. Thinking of staying over a day or two to enjoy the area. Any ideas on how we might get our hands on a promo code or some type of holiday package other than directly through the hotel?

Don't know that you will get much of a deal on a suite, but it might get you a balcony. I would call the hotel and ask if they have set their Papa Noel rates for 2005. Often they have and the info hasn't been published yet.

As a guide, here are the rates from last year:

"Papa Noel's Coming Ho-Ho-Home: Christmas is a great time for families to visit New Orleans. Every December, the city has a month-long "Christmas New Orleans Style" promotion, with Christmas lights, holiday regalia and nightly concerts. In 2004,the Royal Sonesta Hotel offered "Papa Noel" rates of $99 to $109/night, from Dec. 12 to 30 2004, and served the traditional Creole feast known as "Reveillon." "

I see they have just about finished renovating the hotel - might want to check now before they renovate their prices.;)

http://travelwithkids.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=travelwithkids&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonesta.com%2Fneworleans_royal%2Fpage.asp%3Fpageid%3D17485

Rather than continually rely on Zydeco and Cotton for their great help (which is most appreciated), I did a bit of research on my own. I called a few places so far, initially concentrating on hotels restaurants as the best bets for being open on Christmas. Here are some results:

Stella's – Hotel Provincial

Will be open for dinner. No reservations taken until October

Begue's Restaurant – Royal Sonesta Hotel

Probably Buffet only. No reservations taken until October.

Rib Room – Omni Royal

Fixed menu (not yet established) seatings at 12:00, 3:00 and 6:00. Reservations can be made now.

New Orleans Grill – Windsor Court

Will be open for dinner. VERY limited reservations taken now. Mine are at 7:45!

Cobalt – Hotel Monaco

Will not be open

Cuvee – St. James Hotel

Will not be open

Louis XVI – St. Louis Hotel

Undecided whether they will be open? Try back end of September.

Commander’s Palace

Will not be open

4yanx,

Thanks for the additional information. At present we are leaning toward Begue's as we hope to book rooms/suite at the Royal Sonesta when the Papa Noel rates become available. We have children in our group so was really glad to see that you had been informed that they will probably offer a buffet. Looked at the sample menus posted on the New Orleans Grill site. Looks fantastic - a little too sophisticated for children but I am putting that one in the "romantic getaway" file in case hubby and I decide to steal away on a quick trip to NOLA in the next year or so. Planning this trip has been quite challenging, have never done Christmas in a city where we have not family or friends. I know that you are glad to be able to cross plans for Christmas dinner off your list!!

Thanks again!!

Should check with Consiger (I know I did not spell that right) at the hotel. They can probably help you.

The Fairmont hotel may offer something. They have beautiful christmas Decorations. Tradition to go and see them each year. Proir to Christmas they do a Teddy Bear Tea with kid frinedly food Chicken nuggets etc. so they probably have something for the kids.

The Grill room is very upscale...kids might get board. The Intercontiental has a brunch Buffet and so does the Wyndom in Canal Place, they may offer something

Archived