11am flight

gismo1554

Hi

Just trying to get some advice. I'm travelling in on a cruise ship in September and the ship is scheduled into port at 7am. I've been looking at departing flights and it seems to be either 11am or 2pm and going straight to the airport I would rather not go for the later one as from the sounds of it there is little at the airport. Is it possible to get there for an 11am flight?

Thanks

Sarah

You should be fine. You definately need to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of time in San Juan. The airport is only 20 minutes (maximum) from the pier. Just keep your luggage with you the night before and leave in the morning. As long as you depart by 8:00 am you will be fine.

As long as you do the self-assist departing and leave the ship as soon as they make the announcement, you should be just fine. We did this a few years ago and were sitting at the departure gate by 9 am. The key is not to dawdle- try to be near first in line for customs, go directly to a waiting cab (no group van is necessary), and when you get to the airport- don't forget to go through the agriculture inspection first. All luggage must go through the inspection and get a sticker.

Then you can check your bags, get a boarding pass (don't bother to print ahead of time- I wasted many Internet dollars doing this when you can get one at the same time you check your bags).

The security line gets longer and longer as the morning wears on, but if you get off the ship early, you shouldn't experience any problems.

I prefer a little but later departure to allow for any unexpected delays, but 11 am is reasonable if you don't have any issues.

Easy. Our flight was at 11h40 , we got off the ship by 8 and were at our gate just after 9. We do not check luggage so didn't have to hunt it down at the ship or get the ag inspection done and check at the airport. There was no line for security at that early hour.

Does anyone know whether there are any tips on taxi's i.e. should I be looking for a certain company or is it fairly safe to use any taxi?

The cabs are well-regulated and safe. There is a taxi stand that will give you a ticket with the price written on it. It is easy to bypass the dispatcher and go straight to a waiting cab, but they are very well organized and will quickly direct you to the first waiting cab.

There is no need to try and take a group cab, because the price is the same no matter how many passengers. They will be lined up and waiting when you get off the ship and at the airport.

It is super easy; probably the most well run system I have used. Most of the drivers speak decent English- always enough to get you where you need to be.

The cabs are well-regulated and safe. There is a taxi stand that will give you a ticket with the price written on it. It is easy to bypass the dispatcher and go straight to a waiting cab, but they are very well organized and will quickly direct you to the first waiting cab.

There is no need to try and take a group cab, because the price is the same no matter how many passengers. They will be lined up and waiting when you get off the ship and at the airport.

It is super easy; probably the most well run system I have used. Most of the drivers speak decent English- always enough to get you where you need to be.

Thanks so much! Travelling on my own I wanted to make sure!