!!! BREEZE !!! Western Caribbean ^_^ The Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide

gambee

Please make it Getaway. August 23rd. It would save me taking pictures :)

Quite honestly I almost 100% sure that it will Divina. The prices are just too hard to pass by, I am sure Ill get to Getaway eventually. But I need the prices to be right for us.

Hi Gambee! Fabulous review! We did the jet ski tour to stingray city in 2010. It was vey fun. The ride out to stingray city was great. We stayed as long as we wanted, then our guide took us on across the bay to a beach club. It was a nice area. It was a great excursion!

Neat, yeah the jet ski tour does look like a great excursion. But I am more of a sail boat kind of person ;).

Hey Gambee! I have read all of your reviews. Just want to say keep up the good work!

Thank you :)

My daughter and I did that tour about 5 years ago and we both still talk about the thrill. She got to hold and kiss one. We swam with them and although they can have the potential of harming people they are beautiful creatures. You are right this is an experience of a lifetime.

Thank you for posting, sounds like you had just an amazing experience as I had.

Gambee, I guessed you went to Stingray City! Seems like you loved it as much as I did! I actually did a slightly different experience than you. I am scuba certified, so I went to a different area where the water was about 14 ft deep and we did our encounters with the stingrays underwater. I was surrounded by stingrays from the moment I jumped off the dive boat. They really are bit pushy. They want the food they know you have, and they want it NOW! :D

Sorry to hear you had a bit of trouble with water in your Olympus camera. I have the same one, and have taken it on a number of snorkel trips and shallow scuba dives. So far, the only problem I have had with mine is that one of the interchangeable lens rings fell off and got lost. Since that happened, I have kept a close eye on it because I do not want to lose the other one. Sure enough, it did work loose on our last trip. This time I noticed it in time so I was able to secure it before it fell off. I think that ring, which doesn't seem to me to serve any real purpose, is the only thing I don't like about my Olympus.

I can't wait to see what you did in Cozumel. You gave us a hint by talking about raising a sail, so I'm hoping that once again my guess will be right because that will mean you did another excursion I really enjoyed. :cool:

The scuba experience sounds amazing, I scuba dove a few times when I was a kid. My uncle had a shop and he took us out often we travelled there, just never got certified. My cousin is certified and he dive every week here around the coastal reefs.

Funny that you mention the Olympus ring, I also lost it once and I found it later on. I was thinking of gluing it there, but I think that is an access port if the camera breaks. The water that got inside must just be condensation, not quite sure. Either way something to keep an eye on since I really don't want her to breakdown.

I am pretty sure you know what I did in Cozumel :D. Till this day it is my favorite shore excursion by far!

Gambee...your stingray pics are some of the most amazing I've ever seen...thanks so much for them! I have done a sting ray tour twice...the first time being the best..as we were in shallower water and I could navigate a bit better...second time water was deeper and I was afraid of stepping on one...could not see that well.....as a teenager I stepped on a small ray and was stung in Baja California...some murky bay water....made me quite sick for a few days and gave me a life long fear of not wanting to put my feet somewhere I cannot see:eek: But they are gorgeous creatures...and your pictures are just wonderful:):):)

I never gave it much thought, the water was not as shallow that there, well at least where we were. I enjoyed it as I just swam with them and had a very relaxing morning.

I can totally relate to your story, while I have never stepped on a ray. When we had that lake house, the water was also very murky. We were always taught to look thoroughly before stepping in, rays were quite common there. The last thing you wanted was a barb sting on your vacation. I am quite surprised you did not develop a fear for rays and managed to this excursion. I know in my case it would had been different.

Loving the reviews. We're actually going to be on Legend but have some of the same port stops. Never been to Western Caribbean so I've had a hard time deciding on excursions. Definitely want to go to Stingray City but have never gone outside of cruise line to book. Seriously thinking about it now after seeing those crowded boats. Can't wait to see more!

I highly suggest you look into booking outside of Carnival, the experience is just so much more powerful. Either way I am sure you will have a great time!

Gambee!

Love the review so far, looking for your text since the pictures - as awesome as they are- are familiar to me. The Breeze is one of my favorite ships! We have booked spa cabins on both past cruises and for next Spring Break. Having the spa privileges (and getting the free scrubs that you might enjoy) are worth it for us!!! The scrubs were made for us when we checking in on embarkation. They are free for the spa cabins, maybe that's why you never saw anyone making them - if you were there after the first day. Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Rachelle

Rachelle, what are scrubs? We have had spa cabins on the Dream and on the Magic and never heard of scrubs. Have a spa cabin on the Breeze for next January so interested in hearing about scrubs. TIA

Edited: LOL....I was a little premature in posting this. Clicked on my quote before I read further so I wouldn't have to come back and look for it in this looooong review.

Gamble, great review so far. As others have said, you do a fantastic job!

Edited by mississauga

We've read thousands of reviews.

You have hit it with your honesty. Keep up the good work (and it is work) reviewing. We got a few laughs also.

D

Pictures of the camera's you used to take pictures was the funniest for sure.

When you go to the spa the first day to get your "bands" they will also give you a silk bag with two scrubs and two loofahs. Last month on the Sunshine we also had a spa cabin and had the same experience. Our scrubs were Chocolate mint I think and Vanilla Jasmine. Both smelled great and did not sting. These are to be used either in your cabin or in the spa area. I'd recommend using the special showers there - it makes for a very nice treatment! Enjoy the Breeze and your spa cabin!

Thanks for posting this info. We were on the Dream and the Magic a few years ago so perhaps this is new. Looking forward to getting yet another perk of the spa cabins. :):):)

Edited by mississauga

It was a fairly large group, we sat at their largest table and it was a really tight fit. I think this was by far the time that the most of us got together. I also meet a few of CC members that I have not met with yet. This was the absolute best role call ever, no question about it. So energetic and fun, I enjoyed every minute of it.

I forgot to mention that I had quite a few drinks before this meeting, maybe I was a little nervous. Not sure why, everyone was so chill. Anyway, I guess it was good that I wore a white shirt in a way. Because I was sweating like a pig, but I think I managed to keep it hidden for the most part :D. It might have been the combination of caribbean weather, alcohol and high nerves.

Service was great very fast and a very handsome staff as pointed out by one of my fellow cruisers. I actually want to comment on that, I had been noticing that. A lot of Carnival Breeze crew is absolutely devine. And I think that goes for both genders! And hey I am single so I am to allowed to look and touch, well not touch. But look at the very least ;)

Anyway, we chatted about random topics and enjoyed the great company.

Ok lets see, for some dumb reason I ordered red clam sauce (I usually order white clam sauce, but was not offered), the funny thing is that I never eat tomato sauce, not a fan. I love italian food, but always get alfredo or white wine sauce. I think I wanted to play it safe and decided not to eat cheese that day, ironically I ended getting up getting sick… I am not entirely sure what it was, but I felt bloated the rest of the day. It was pretty much a down day because of that reason. The crazy part is that I had my lactose pills and I even took them, none of my food had cheese in it.

Anyway here is my dish, it was actually very tasty, but not sure what happened.

Day3-187_zpsc3ecb761.jpg

This is the lasagna from another CC member. From what I can remember no one had anything bad to say about the food or service. We were all just having one amazing time together.

Day3-188_zps46d04f8a.jpg

That lasagne looks soooooooo FAMILIAR!!! :D

My wife said it was actually very tasty and she didn't expect it to be, I mean we're from New York City where Italian food rules. I don't even remember what I are but it was decent too.

You are so right about our roll call it was great, and everyone was just so nice. By the way, you looked absolutely comfortable during our lunch meet-up, so your liquor induced lunching secret is safe with us lol. ;)

Rachelle, what are scrubs? We have had spa cabins on the Dream and on the Magic and never heard of scrubs. Have a spa cabin on the Breeze for next January so interested in hearing about scrubs. TIA

Edited: LOL....I was a little premature in posting this. Clicked on my quote before I read further so I wouldn't have to come back and look for it in this looooong review.

Gamble, great review so far. As others have said, you do a fantastic job!

Thank you :)

We've read thousands of reviews.

You have hit it with your honesty. Keep up the good work (and it is work) reviewing. We got a few laughs also.

D

Pictures of the camera's you used to take pictures was the funniest for sure.

Honesty is the best way to keep a review well balanced, thank you for noting that and commenting.

What a great review thanks ! I will have to follow it now!!!

thank you :)

That lasagne looks soooooooo FAMILIAR!!! :D

My wife said it was actually very tasty and she didn't expect it to be, I mean we're from New York City where Italian food rules. I don't even remember what I are but it was decent too.

You are so right about our roll call it was great, and everyone was just so nice. By the way, you looked absolutely comfortable during our lunch meet-up, so your liquor induced lunching secret is safe with us lol. ;)

Lol, that was a unique experience to say the least. There was a lot of things going on that day, but it ended up being great lunch experience. Fun times :D

Ok, lets do this!

Just your basic stores, this one was actually very expensive. The ship had MUCH better prices.

Day4-326_zpsd92c633e.jpg

Don’t they look great?

Day4-327_zpsf559c418.jpg

Day4-328_zps9470ba4f.jpg

Day4-333_zps41dbab51.jpg

The water is incredibly clear there, I could easily spot parrot fish swimming around.

Day4-334_zps79a12b13.jpg

A nice cold water and lemonade stand for the ride back to the ship, I grabbed one of each. I failed to drink anything on the Catamaran, I forgot to mention that they had water for free. And other drinks for a charge, a beer was $5

Day4-335_zpsd1f89691.jpg

Day4-336_zps1711a8e3.jpg

From what I hear the Breeze is the Dream on steroids, is that right?

Day4-342_zpsfcbb55c8.jpg

Day4-339_zps9934a4e4.jpg

Love this picture.

Day4-344_zps36c96141.jpg

Here is a short video of the ride back to the ship.

Nice reflection huh? You have no idea how many tries this picture took to make. Maybe 20 shots? In the end I could make it in Lightroom in 1 second, lol go figure that one out :D

It came out great though! Looks like she is sitting in a lagoon, Maybe Lake Tahoe?

Day4-346_zpsd896e9b8.jpg

Here she is shining!

Day4-350_zpsaeca63ea.jpg

I was basically playing around until everyone got off the tender. It was a loaded tender so it took quite sometime, plus only one person was allowed on the ramp at a time. Maybe 10 minutes? no, slightly less I think.

PopArt

Day4-351_zpsfeb4ff49.jpg

I waited until the end to get off the tender. It was actually kind of funny because I got off after one of the crew did and they almost frisked me thinking I was part of the crew :D. I was not aware that the crew goes through this every time they board.

Anyway, catch a drift? First I was the ship photographer, then I was part of the crew, and it does not end there, lol.

Day4-358_zps788d53b8.jpg

The pool had some action, port days are really the best enjoy the pool. But then again you miss out on all the port fun. The conundrums of cruising :D

Day4-362_zps9134f02e.jpg

I was pretty hungry by then and craving some amazing tacos.

Day4-363_zps04a4e7ea.jpg

Day4-364_zps33366be8.jpg

Day4-366_zps435b34bd.jpg

It was then that I noticed that the burrito side had shrimp and beef. So I asked him if I could have one fish, 1 steak and 1 shrimp. I am not big on burritos, but I LOVE tacos!!!! So this was just perfect for me. When I asked he smiled and said "of course not a problem", Carnival customer service rivals that of Disney. That is a really strong statement I am making there, and take it as such. Other than a few glitches on the MDR, it was impeccable!

Pre-toppings

Day4-365_zps51a94d84.jpg

and after. Don't forget to ask for guacamole, they have it behind the line, and they will add it for you. All the other toppings you can add yourself. Well unless you're in the burrito line, then they make the entire burrito for you.

Day4-367_zpsd3802cbd.jpg

I absolutely love the blue iguana, I think it is by far my favorite venue. Then again I love Mexican food, so maybe I am a bit biased. But yeah, this is really big selling point for me in particular. But then again like I have said numerous times, lunch on the breeze is AMAZI...

See what you all done? Now I starving and thinking of Blue iguana and Guy's (Currently Salivating) :D ;) :p

I went for a little walk to see what other offerings they had in other areas of the buffet.

I try Mongolian Wok later on so I will comment on it then, but it is essentially an asian pasta bar. Everything is made to order.

Day4-368_zps10a92342.jpg

Day4-369_zpse285402b.jpg

Day4-370_zps2f2188af.jpg

I think they could use some help on desserts, none of them really called me out. Then again I tend to avoid dessert just for the calories, but I think I make them up with all the ice cream that I eat :rolleyes:

Day4-371_zpsb7518016.jpg

Day4-372_zps7d625df3.jpg

Day4-373_zpsb72e7dbb.jpg

Did not look that appetizing.

Day4-375_zpsd1af55f0.jpg

Day4-376_zps84bda203.jpg

Please keep in mind that this changes on a daily basis, while I was not crazy about the fried chicken. The next day (I think) they had fish and chips, and absolutely adore fish and chips. Unfortunately I was so full that I did not even tried them. But from the looks, I think it was really nice battered cod. Yum Yum! Variety is not an issue, NEVER!

One thing I never did was check the buffet for dinner, but I will tell you something. I wont make that mistake again! Next time you will see me there for lunch and dinner, I just wish you could get the chocolate melting cake at the buffet. I can honestly say that is the only reason I would find to go back to the MDR. I wonder if I can go just for dessert...

Day4-377_zpsc8db08a0.jpg

I noticed an arugula salad that looked pretty good and some seafood skewers that I wanted to try. So I got in line and got a small plate.

Both were very tasty. I did not finish the skewers as I was pretty full, but I ate the calamari, mushrooms and the cherry tomatoes.

Day4-378_zps9738b090.jpg

And last but not least, some ice cream. I kid you not, that is how much I served myself. I just needed a little sweet taste in my palate, after all that food. It was kind of funny, the people behind me were like "What the ....". They just had that look on their face. But hey, it hit the spot!

Day4-380_zps6ab81fbe.jpg

By then I just wanted to relaxxx a little in the jacuzzi, the problem you ask? Well the sun was dead on top of the ship creating no shade in either side of the ship.

Day4-381_zpsa972ef1e.jpg

But I was determined to get some jacuzzi time, my solution you ask?

Day4-382_zpsf23a9c7e.jpg

Well I had to get creative,

here you go :D, lol

Day4-386_zps2364b5a3.jpg

It managed to cover myself quite well, I did get a lot of sun exposure that day with the shore excursion and such. But I kept reapplying the sunscreen and it was pretty good for the most part. I never got burned, just tanned at a very slow rate, which is the way I like it.

Have I talked about the Lanai? If I did my apologies, it is really hard to keep track of everything. Well here is just my thought. Do you know how Norwegian claims that they have the very first waterfront area. Well in reality I think that Carnival kind of beat them to it with this class of ships (side note, OMG have you seen the new class of ships MSC just signed a contract for? Incredible!!!). Anyway, they have dinning with the red frog pub and plenty of areas to sit and relax. The only thing that differs is that NCL offers the area without the glass covering, while carnival has those tall glasses covering the entire area.

So here is the thing, while I hate how the glass obstructs the view, I did noticed that Breakaway had tons of wind in that area. And if the ship was sailing at cruise speeds it was nearly impossible to sit outside and have a calm dinner. So the glass comes in handy to block the wind, but it blocks the view. On the other hand the wind would be really nice while you chill in the jacuzzi. I guess you can’t win them all. Maybe if it was clear glass with gaps like the top deck of Breakaway that could be a great middle ground. Some wind and room to have a clear view and stick out the cameras for great pictures.

Day4-388_zpsbd1b8de7.jpg

After the sun wore me out I retreated to my favorite part of the ship, my private balcony. Its actually kind of funny, I was talking about this earlier with my mom. She was saying that we should just travel cheap and get only interiors cabins, then I recalled how much I used my balcony on all my prior cruises and I told her we can’t. Now don’t get me wrong, if there is no other way, I will board in a interior. But if I have a few extra bucks, I will always spend them in the balcony before anything else. I really enjoy the privacy that they offer.

Day4-389_zpsa8527c87.jpg

Day4-392_zps87fcdac4.jpg

Day4-393_zpsee81eb81.jpg

Day4-394_zps445db5fa.jpg

Day4-395_zps3ed63c87.jpg

Day4-396_zps25f0e3af.jpg

2 things to note about this picture. The first and most important is that Carnival supplies the staterooms with some amazing bathrobes! I absolutely fell in love with them. I think if I was to buy anything else from the ship other than my model ship, it would be this robe. OMG they were fantastic!!! I think they put them in every room, because they know people will buy them. They are just that nice, much more comfy than the NCL ones. I can’t recall how the X ones felt…

The second thing to note, is that I was almost out of my bottle of booze that I have bought with carnival. And have just fixed myself a really strong drink and guess what happened to the entire drink?

Thats right, my dumb ass knocked down the entire drink before I even had the first sip. Alcohol abuse!!!!!

Day4-391_zps64a9b962.jpg

Now not only was I out of liquor, but the balcony floor was super sticky. I have to get the garbage can fill it with water and rinse it out a couple of times… The worse part was that it was the first drink of the day… :/ How could that happen, ugghhhhhh :D

I guess the good thing is that at least the glass did not break.

I also LOVE these dividers that provide extra privacy, can someone please tell me why Carnival is the only line doing this???

Day4-401_zpsafabbfb0.jpg

Day4-403_zps3a0ed40f.jpg

Interesting, notice the dust on my NEX sensor? I guess its time to clean it. Bugsy has a good dust sensor story, lol. Inside joke, sorry ;-)

Day4-402_zpsd12feb10.jpg

The officers were getting ready to leave, we were actually running a little behind schedule.

Day4-399_zpscee9c405.jpg

And here is the reason why, RUNNERS!!!!, lol. They looked quite relaxed for being runners. I guess this is the way to do it in style!

Day4-404_zps72887f1d.jpg

My guess is that we left a family behind that day, they kept calling their names for about 20 minutes after we left. Eventually they called it quits, not sure what happened there.