Late Embarkation

txjoy

Has anyone had any problems with embarking (I know I'm turning the word into a weird verb) late? We will be traveling on the Elation and half of my family will not be able to make it to Galveston until about 3-3:30, probably closer to 3:30. The ship will be departing at 4:00 pm. I'm just a little worried about the timing!

Passengers must be onboard no later than 30 minutes prior to sailing.

*IF* you purchased airfare through Carnival, they will either hold the ship, or, get you to the next port. Otherwise, make sure you have your camera as there's no better picture than the ship sailing away from the dock.

The problem is with my parents. My dad is a minister and doesn't want to miss 2 Sundays in a row. . . .they live about 3 hours away from Galveston. If church is out at noon. . .it gives them a small window of opportunity to drive and get on the ship. They haven't purchased tickets yet, but they are weighing in on all of their options!

The problem is with my parents. My dad is a minister and doesn't want to miss 2 Sundays in a row. . . .they live about 3 hours away from Galveston. If church is out at noon. . .it gives them a small window of opportunity to drive and get on the ship. They haven't purchased tickets yet, but they are weighing in on all of their options!

It's a very big chance to take...if you factor in the chance of an accident on the roads, construction, car trouble, etc.

txm, are your parents close enough to a local airport that they could get an inexpensive flight into Galveston that would get them there earlier?

Back in 2000 our cruise out of Texas with PCL was cancelled after we got to the airport (this was a Saturday). I was able to book a cruise on the Carnival Sensation (it was a 7 day back then) for the next day. A combination of fight delays and lost luggage got us to the ship after 3:30....... the picture they take as you board the ship had a clock in the background, ours read 3:58!

I would never want to cut it that close again, but I will say that after 3:30 there are NO lines!

I would be concerned about their timing also. 3:00 would be fine, but as you get closer to 3:30 you're cuting it very, very close. As others have mentioned any number of things could cause them to be delayed while driving in. I hope everything works out!

John

With all due respect to your minister dad, I think he would have to pray really hard to get to the ship on time!

Foregoing all those after-service handshakes would be hard to do!:) ...and then to jump in a car to drive three hours...? I don't know - I'd sure hate to chance it. That's a mighty close window, and yes, anything could happen on the road. A tiny little fender bender could cause a delay that could block highway traffic for a long time.

I think it's cutting it 'way too close.

How about tell him to cut the service short a bit... or have a guest minister come in.

I undrestand the devotion to his flock, but he doesn't take many vacations it sounds like.

He deserves a break.

Good idea. I have a BIL who's pastor of a church. He takes several wknds off each year, and has a guest pastor take over for him. He says his parishoners need a break from him once in awhile, just like he needs the breaks!:D

Archived