Darius MEHTA: PC + RSSC Kindergarten

Seadoc

The quote: " I don't like it when animals are human entertainment".

The source: One Darius Mehta...presumably a "decision-maker" at RSSC.

The act: Mr. Mehta (unilaterally it would appear) decreed that henceforth there will be NO RSSC-sponsored shore excursions involving human-to-dolphin contact.

The impact: RSSC loses revenue because of this person's position, committment to political correctness and his kindergarten-like teacher's banning of an activity previously enjoyed by the kindergarten class (i.e., YOU!).

The human-to-dolphin encounters will continue as, thankfully, RSSC doesn't yet "own" the world's dolphins and other shore-based and less imperial entrepeneurs will provide the needed relief.

Perhaps Mr. Mehta, confined as he seems to be in his RSSC decision-making cubicle, has never seen nor heard of THE CIRCUS, AQUARIUMS, ZOOS (which are ubiquitous throughout the populated world) OR, arguably, the US Congress, in all of which animals perform for human entertainment.

Mr. Mehta is hereby awarded the coveted "2005 Cockamamie Concept Award", normally awarded to politicians but, in this egregiously outlandish case, a slam dunk for Mr. Mehta.

I agree with most of what you say. Maybe Darius Mehta should also cancel all horseback riding excursions too. And about that Prime Rib that Radisson serves in their restaurant.... :eek: And think of all those poor mother fishs, that have to give up their eggs to allow Radisson guests to eat them. mecry.gif

On the other hand, I would support, in the case of dolphins, that ALL the cruiselines check that the outside operators do meet some minimum standards for the care of their dolphins.

There have been many dolphin threads regarding the troubles with many, but not all, dolphin experiences, so there is no need to heat things up on either side.

Why not take the simple solution: If you want to swim with the dolphins, book it off the ship...and it will most probably be less expensive. If you don't want to swim with the dolphins, don't do it. No wars or flaming necessary.

Seadoc,

Your use of the word 'kindergarten' is appropriate, since that is about the level of your submission on the subject of Radisson's laudable shunning of dolphin 'encounter' programs.

I waited a few days, to see what responses you drew to your crass and facetious comments. The lack thereof, is significant and hopefully puts you firmly in your place.

Perhaps you would be advised to visit a few websites and do a little research into this deplorable trend - the exploitation of marine mammals.

Start with, www.hsus.org, then have a look at the excellent Anne Campbell's column on the subject, at www.cruisemates.com. But don't stop there; look at the WSPA site and many others. Maybe, you'll change your mind. If not, then try an 'encounter' with a cheetah.

Archived