My testimonial: Captain Van's rentals

Susky

As I mentioned in my other thread, I used Captain Van's to rent a pair of motorcycles for my day in Roatan. Rather than slipping my comments into the overall Roatan topic, I wanted to make a detailed thread to address my experiences.

Captain Van's rents bikes, scooters, and dual-range motorcycles. Since I'm more experienced with larger dirt bikes, I chose the latter when I was doing my reservations (on-line) a couple of months in advance. Unfortunately, the largest bikes - 200cc Hondas - were already claimed. But the owner, Murray, had a couple of 125cc Hondas that he said would work nicely, even for somebody my size (big and tall). Murray took my credit card info, without charging me, to hold my reservation. Murray said that I'd need a credit card on the day of the rental, even though he preferred being paid in cash (he can also accept payment via the credit card, with an 8% surcharge).

When we arrived in Roatan, we were greeted at the pier by "employee of the month" Walter, who explained a little about the island and the people while we waited for all the renters to show up for the van ride to Captain Van's. Walter reminded us that the typical Roatan worker earns about $8 a day, and to take that economy into consideration when shopping, tipping, etc.

We had enough passengers to stuff the van, and Walter took alternate transportation. I'm not sure how he did it, but he beat the van back to the rental place, and was calmly waiting for us when we arrived. Another employee, Caesar, helped us get checked out.

During the check-out process, I had a small glitch, as the credit card(s) I had brought were relatively low-limit cards (one way I try to limit my exposure to the evil credit world). Part of the check-out process involves running a "hold" on the credit cards for 10,000 lempiras (about $500) per vehicle. Well, since I had two bikes, the card wouldn't work. Fortunately, I had second card with me, and Caesar ran one bike on each card, and lowered the "hold" to 7,500 lempiras...and everything went through.

We then went through the pre-rental inspection of the bikes, the obligatory offering of insurance, and the choosing of (admittedly ugly) helmets. Walter gave us map that was pretty sorely in need of revision (a bad photocopy, lots of hand-scribbled notations), and a second sheet that highlighted some of the places he talked about.

I'm not sure how it works on the scooters, but the minimum charge for any damage done to the motorcycles is $50. And I'm sure with the cost of getting replacement parts on the island, any repair/replacement can be a bit salty. Captain Van's does offer a $6 insurance rider to cover any major damage over $500 (I think that's the figure). I waived it, because I figured that if I had a motorcycle accident that costed more than $500, paying for a bike would be the least of my problems. ;)

Once we checked out, we ran along the sand road along West End Village, then turned around and headed inland. On the way, we rode through a short, but heavy, rain squall. But soon the sun was out again, and we dried off quickly.

We rode the main road on the island, trying to keep from getting killed by the truck and taxi drivers (those rear-view mirrors were life savers!). Along the way, we stopped at the iguana farm, which wasn't so much a "farm" as a house with a crapload of iguanas and other critters. Thankfully we were able to stand under a porch roof as another squall passed through.

On our way again, we decided to check out The View, which Walter recommended. It's a little bar/restaurant on the hillside way up on the hill, and name is appropriate. The view from there is fantastic. And the food is good, too. We had a "steak sandwich" and a beer, both of which really hit the spot.

We were starting to run short on time, so we headed back the way we came, and got to West End Village with about an hour to spare. So we stopped at one of the little water-side bars for another adult beverage. Wow...that was just terrific. My buddy, Jeff, even had time to take a plunge into the water at the beach, and he said it was fantastic.

When we returned to Captain Van's, we witnessed a little controversy. One of the families that rented scooters had a bit of difficulty when one of them laid her scooter down on the wet road. Fortunately she wasn't seriously injured, but they did have to fork over some extra money for the scooter damage.

When I paid my bill (in cash), I was given my credit card slips (the entire thing - all sheets, carbons, etc), and was assured by Walter than no charge would appear on my credit cards.

So that's it. The rental was pretty easy. My only real extra advice for potential renters is to be sure you know what you're doing. If you don't have experience riding scooters or motorcycles, you don't want to learn this way. It can be very expensive and painful. But if you do know what you're doing, there's no better way to get around Roatan.

The 125cc bike was great for me, just as Murray said it would be...and at $45 for the day (including gas), it was a good deal. I'd definitely do it again.

Oh, and like I said in the other thread(s), Roatan was great. I plan to return for a longer stay, for sure.

I am the guy who had the controversy with Captain Van's - and did not think of it as a controversy. The most important thing was that my daughter was not seriously hurt, although hobbled and brightly bruised from her fall. We took our time when we started out and it was at the last 1/4 mile that she slid the scooter, maybe a little overconfident by then. She did as much damage to the porch railing she hit than the bike, but again thankfully was not hurt badly. Walter made it clear when we went that it was a $50 minimum for any damage whatsoever, so I did not have a problem with his charge, since both bikes were dropped down. I was sorry to delay the trip back to the ship while the inspection was ongoing in case anyone wanted shopping time.

We loved every minute (except those last few) of our trip on the scooters. We had a great ride from the shop through roads and dirt roads and finally to the beach and (almost) back. We saw some breathtaking views and enjoyed the ride and would have liked to have more time on the island. This was a great way to travel around Roatan, and we met some wonderful folks along the way. My daughter could not say enough nice things about Ceasar and how reassuring he was afterwards, and Walter was an obvious choice for employee of (for a) the month.

Sorry I did not realize you were you - I would hae introduced myself with the not-so-secret blue lei greeting.

My family gives Cap't Vans six thumbs up.

P.S. - We had brought some school supplies we thought we could deliver at the pier and when we couldn't Walter and Ceasar arranged to have it distributed to the local public school.

Thanks for the kind comments and wonderful feedback!

I will make sure Walter and Cesar get a "pat" on the back, and a job "well done".

It's too bad I missed you all last week, as I was on vacation back in Canada...but obviously the staff took care of the large group of Captain Van customers off the Valor.

I really hope you all get a chance to come back to experience a WEEK or TWO on this island paradise of ours.....I can promise you there is LOADS more to see..

...Plus after driving a scooter for more than 20 minutes on Roatan, one easily becomes comfortable, and one wants to DO IT AGAIN!!!...and again...

so thanks again!

:) :) :) :)

I am the guy who had the controversy with Captain Van's - and did not think of it as a controversy. The most important thing was that my daughter was not seriously hurt, although hobbled and brightly bruised from her fall.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't really controversial...but the important thing is that your daugther was okay. I've had my share of mishaps over the years, with plenty of cuts, scrapes, and really serious damage along the way. I remember seeing her enjoying the aft pool later, so I'm sure she was none the worse for wear. :)

I was sorry to delay the trip back to the ship while the inspection was ongoing in case anyone wanted shopping time.

No problem whatsoever. We still got back in plenty of time, and your finalization with Walter was important. Besides, it gave my friend, Jeff, a moment to enjoy the beach across the street:

jeff_in_water.jpg

Sorry I did not realize you were you - I would hae introduced myself with the not-so-secret blue lei greeting.

Wow...yet another near miss. We had bajalover on our excursion boat in GC!

Archived