POA- 5/17-5/24 review

lostone65

Rain interrupted the sail away party and we just hung out in the Gold Rush and then went to dinner in the Liberty. The show that night was a variety show and a goodbye from the crew. It was pretty good.

We loved the decor on the POA, she is a beautiful ship and shows American history proudly! The ship is a perfect size for us, not too big and not too small, never seemed rushed. The public spaces are large enough and wide open, in general the feel of the ship is good.

The food was good, nothing special but just plain good. We are not hard to please and are not foodies, we just like good food and this ship delivered. The dining room service on this ship was good, better than the others in my opinion. The buffet was always well stocked and had a great variety. The Cadillac Diner was decorated very cool, like a 50's diner, and the food was good comfort food. The service was lacking most of the time here.

The ship was always clean and in good repair, the ships officers were visible but not engaging and most of the crew followed suit. It seemed the new younger members of the crew were the most engaging and provided the best service. Like I said in the opening, as a whole the service was mediocre. We are not hard to please at all. We do however, expect to be acknowledged and served with a smile and interest. This was not the case a lot of time during this cruise. It also seemed to us they were understaffed in most areas, especially in the lounges. We were told by one bartender that the turn over is very high on the POA and he is considered a veteran after 2.5 years there.

Even though the service isn't up to other NCL ships we have been on, this was a great vacation! We loved it!

I will close with pictures of the ship and The Arizona Memorial. Aloha!

thanks for the review! I'll read it in more detail later. Beautiful pictures!!

I'm going on this cruise in Feb 2016.

Brenda, I wish you weren't going so soon :) Don't you want to do the Jewel Panama cruise in Sept / Oct of this year instead :)

I'm tentatively planning on staying on one island for a few days after, but not sure which one.

Thinking also about flying in a day early and doing Pearl Harbor the morning of embarkation.

Thank you, lostone65!

Your Maui and Kauai pics have me rethinking our post cruise plans, just may have to go to one of those instead of Oahu!

The Big Island looks so foreign and alien like! Will be interesting to see it in person.

Edited by silvercrikhix

thanks for the review! I'll read it in more detail later. Beautiful pictures!!

I'm going on this cruise in Feb 2016.

Brenda, I wish you weren't going so soon :) Don't you want to do the Jewel Panama cruise in Sept / Oct of this year instead :)

I'm tentatively planning on staying on one island for a few days after, but not sure which one.

Thinking also about flying in a day early and doing Pearl Harbor the morning of embarkation.

Hi, Dorothy! I would love to do a Panama Canal! But I don't think I could convince Vance to cruise again so soon after the big Hawaii trip. Maybe we'll just do another Hawaii with you in 2016 instead;). We are doing Pearl Harbor with Roberts the AM of embarkation, but it's a 6:40 am pick up after flying in the day before so I hope we don't regret it. There is no option for delivery to ship after, just hotel to hotel. But they do offer a tour on the am of disembarkation, picking you up at the ship and delivering you to your hotel after which might work better for you. I think it might be a longer tour. Safe travels, and maybe we will run into you one of these days!

Edited by punkincc

We plan to drive upcountry Maui as well, and have the winery on our list. Want some of that pineapple wine and champagne! But someone said you can find it in the drug stores, etc cheaper. I assume they held the champagne for you when you boarded?

OMG, the jumpers in Hilo! And then they have to climb back up!? We will NOT be attempting that! I thought you might "miss" the ship in Hilo and catch up in Kona after overnighting with your son. So nice that you could spend a couple days with him.

We will snorkel in Kona as well. Have a tour booked. When I see people comment about snorkeling in Kona, they always say that it is the best snorkeling in Hawaii, much better than in Maui which is where many people go, because of the clarity of the water.

Beautiful pictures, thanks for taking the time to report and answer questions.

Thank you, lostone65!

Your Maui and Kauai pics have me rethinking our post cruise plans, just may have to go to one of those instead of Oahu!

The Big Island looks so foreign and alien like! Will be interesting to see it in person.

Your welcome! Glad you enjoyed it! Oahu is beautiful also but many more people! I don't feel you can go wrong with either Maui or Kauai. If you want a bit more night life i would say Maui. If you want more relaxing then Kauai. The Big island is very cool, so much more immature compared to the others, but beauty surrounds there also. Good luck, I don't think you can go wrong!

We plan to drive upcountry Maui as well, and have the winery on our list. Want some of that pineapple wine and champagne! But someone said you can find it in the drug stores, etc cheaper. I assume they held the champagne for you when you boarded?

OMG, the jumpers in Hilo! And then they have to climb back up!? We will NOT be attempting that! I thought you might "miss" the ship in Hilo and catch up in Kona after overnighting with your son. So nice that you could spend a couple days with him.

We will snorkel in Kona as well. Have a tour booked. When I see people comment about snorkeling in Kona, they always say that it is the best snorkeling in Hawaii, much better than in Maui which is where many people go, because of the clarity of the water.

Beautiful pictures, thanks for taking the time to report and answer questions.

I'm sure the wine is cheaper at the stores, but honestly I didn't want to spend my time searching for it. It was expensive about $33.00 a bottle for the champagne, but the no hassle was worth it to me. We turned it in when we boarded and picked it up the last night.

I wouldn't jump ever!!! Yikes scary! Fun watching the brave souls though! We thought about meeting back up with the ship in Kona but honestly didn't want the hassle. It was easier to meet up with them the next day and they didn't mind driving over to the other side as they love Kona and spend many weekends there. The snorkeling was the best ever for me!

I'm glad you enjoyed the review and I will answer any questions you have.:D

lostone65, thanks so much for this review as well as all the photos. I am looking forward to my trip there in July.

You will love it! Beauty surrounds! I hope you have a great time!

Lostone65...I am PETRIFIED of birds!!!! Thank you sooooooo much so I can be prepared to run LOLOL....Key West was a nightmare for me LOLOLOL

Hahaha!!! You are in trouble then, chickens andcroosters all over Kauai and scattered on all the other islands!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your review and your photos! We are going on this cruise in October and it will be our first visit to Hawaii! It's so helpful to read other people's experiences and see the photos!

If you get a hankering for the pineapple wine, we found it at BevMo here in CA. It's really delicious! I don't know if they had the champagne or not.

Thank you again for taking the time to review!

Thanks for your review and your photos! We are going on this cruise in October and it will be our first visit to Hawaii! It's so helpful to read other people's experiences and see the photos!

If you get a hankering for the pineapple wine, we found it at BevMo here in CA. It's really delicious! I don't know if they had the champagne or not.

Thank you again for taking the time to review!

Thank you! You will love Hawaii, most beautiful place on earth!

Oh we have a BevMo here, I will check it out!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app