POC movie brig..............sinks!

I'm still here, stirring the pot. :D

Actually, I've been trying to be nice....

Question.....The Brig was being used as a tourist attraction.....are there any ships anywhere near this old that actually still sail with passengers?

We were in Turks and Caicos and saw what looked like an old Chinese Junk, with passengers. It couldn't have really been that old, could it? Just made to look old?

THERE REALLY ARE many older sailing vessels running around. Ocean going there are about 15 to 20 sailing vessels that are mostly country training ships and they usually get excellent attention. Some back to the late 1800's/early 1900s. The USCG Eagle goes back to the 1930s. These sailing vessels go around the world on training cruises.

There is a big difference on tourist attraction, that is smaller and stays near the coast and Ocean going. Their condition is based on how good the home country inspections are and how well the owner wants to keep them in shape.

Any tourist sailing ship can be made to look old or look newer.

AKK

We've toured some older ships in San Francisco, and of course the Queen Mary and the Russian submarine in Long Beach. Do they have to do a type of dry dock with ships like these? How do they keep the bottoms from rusting/rotting out?

We've toured some older ships in San Francisco, and of course the Queen Mary and the Russian submarine in Long Beach. Do they have to do a type of dry dock with ships like these? How do they keep the bottoms from rusting/rotting out?

Every ship has to come out of the water at some point or maintained and paint. Whether its a dry dock or lifted out of the water.

The Queen Mary was supposed to go into Dry dock after 25 years, the guarantee on the bottom point. That should have been about 1983.. It is now 30 years late. It does make you wonder if the paint is just lasting longer then expected or they just don't have the money.

AKK

Every ship has to come out of the water at some point or maintained and paint. Whether its a dry dock or lifted out of the water.

The Queen Mary was supposed to go into Dry dock after 25 years' date=' the guarantee on the bottom point. That should have been about 1983.. It is now 30 years late. It does make you wonder if the paint is just lasting longer then expected or they just don't have the money.

AKK[/quote']

Knowing that, and the rumors of her being haunted, make me not want to spend the night on her!:eek:

Edited by MizDaisy

She is haunted, more then one ghost. The most famous is Wallace Beery, who died in his sleep in his stateroom on the cross Atlantic trip to NY.

The one most seen is a engine room oiler who was caught in a watertight door closing in one of the turbine rooms and crushed him.

I spent a week on her in 1975. I got off the S/S Texaco Mississippi in La and decided to take a week off sightseeing and chasing bikinis (no I was not yet married or engaged) I stayed in cabin B 123 the same cabin my Grandmother stayed in in 1948 went she made a trip home to Norway to visit family after the war.

Knowing that, and the rumors of her being haunted, make me not want to spend the night on her!:eek:

I spent the night on her back in the late 90s. Pretty neat. I didn't really sleep much because I was sitting it the porthole looking outside most of the night.

Maybe that's what made me start cruising a decade later!

I spent the night on her back in the late 90s. Pretty neat. I didn't really sleep much because I was sitting it the porthole looking outside most of the night.

Maybe that's what made me start cruising a decade later!

Hi Texas.......Was there not a song about/named *Harbor Lights* back in the day???

AKK

My friend and her family have spent the night on her. They said they felt "creepy" but didn't experience any problems.

We did the "ghost tour" years ago, and were told about a little girl who haunts the swimming pool area. I was always fascinated by the pool being indoors and below deck, since they are now located on higher decks, in the sun.

I had forgotten about the little girl in the pool area. I believe she is often seen and people hear her voice.

The real HMS Queen Mary is not a cruise vessel, she is a real passenger liner, designed to carry passengers across the great pond at 30+ knots. The Atlantic is not known for its tropical weather during crossings, especially in the winter where she once was hit by a rouge wave which rolled her over to starboard over 30 degrees and crushed the foredeck to the extent it was lowered 10'. ( this incident is the seed of the Poseidon Adventure book and movies).

So a pool inside and on a lower deck makes sense.

AKK

I had forgotten about the little girl in the pool area. I believe she is often seen and people hear her voice.

The real HMS Queen Mary is not a cruise vessel' date=' she is a real passenger liner, designed to carry passengers across the great pond at 30+ knots. The Atlantic is not known for its tropical weather during crossings, especially in the winter where she once was hit by a rouge wave which rolled her over to starboard over 30 degrees and crushed the foredeck to the extent it was lowered 10'. ( this incident is the seed of the Poseidon Adventure book and movies).

So a pool inside and on a lower deck makes sense.

AKK[/quote']

That makes sense. The pool reminds me of the old, old, old YMCA in the city I grew up in. My dad used to take us swimming there, and it was indoors, dark, and as a child, I always thought it was creepy.

Hi Texas.......Was there not a song about/named *Harbor Lights* back in the day???

AKK

Hey Skipper! I'm not familiar with the song but if you're talking about the Boz Skaggs version, I just found it on youtube and like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BemSJl7AMdo

Wait, I just found The Platters version and it's really good, too!

Hey Skipper! I'm not familiar with the song but if you're talking about the Boz Skaggs version, I just found it on youtube and like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BemSJl7AMdo

Wait, I just found The Platters version and it's really good, too!

Those are great versions of it!. I know I am dating myself, but I always loved the old music, the 1900 mid 1965.

AKK

Those are great versions of it!. I know I am dating myself' date=' but I always loved the old music, the 1900 mid 1965.

AKK[/quote']

Speaking of dating ourselves, I wasn't born in 1965 but do like a lot of the older music. I listen to talk radio now since the music my teens listen to is CRAP! I'm sure my mom said the same thing about my 80s music! :D