Lamanai ruins w/ river cruise vs Xunantunich

Lave heart

I've read most of the posts and still having a hard time deciding between the two ruins tours. Going in Sept on Carnival Magic. I plan to book through an independent company prob. Island Marketing. We both are active, in mid 40's and 50's. With the Lamanai tour the river boat sounds very exciting but concerned about being rushed at the ruins themselves b/c of time. Xunantunich sounds like it will be amazing with gorgeous views but maybe not as many ruins to see there? Would appreciate any advice or recommendations. Also is Island Marketing a good company to go with?

We did the Lamanai Ruins and river tour through Royal Caribbean. I highly recommend it. Considering how far away the ruins are from where our ship was docked, I never considered going with an independent vendor.

Our bus, along with others from our ship, was nearly an hour late getting back to our ship, due to heavy traffic. We didn't worry about the ship leaving without us since we were on a cruise line sponsored tour.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions.

Happy cruising!

We did Lamani through an independant provider a few years ago and it was an amazing day.....prob. the best excursion I've ever been on.....the provider guarnteed on time return to the ship or overnight expensense's plus next day air to the next port of call....was a long day but well worth it...would do it again in a heartbeat!

• 3 weeks later...
We did the Lamanai Ruins and river tour through Royal Caribbean. I highly recommend it. Considering how far away the ruins are from where our ship was docked, I never considered going with an independent vendor.

Our bus, along with others from our ship, was nearly an hour late getting back to our ship, due to heavy traffic. We didn't worry about the ship leaving without us since we were on a cruise line sponsored tour.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions.

Happy cruising!

Thank You! I was thinking using RCI as I have heard some stories from places and this is one. I am more than game to use independent except some places. Thinking we will use RCI since you are not docked and the trip is not easy to/from the shore.

We did the Lamanai excursion nearly 9 years ago and we still talk about how wonderful that was. The only drawback is that it makes for a long day. The bus ride is incredibly long and ours didn't have AC (I think it was supposed to...just broken). September in Belize without AC is not fun. But, the rest of the excursion made up for it. We saw and heard howler monkeys, the lunch was great, and the ruins....amazing!

I agree with the other posts that I recommend doing this on a cruise sponsored excursion. Because it's so long, there is potential not getting back on time. We were the last tender back to the ship. Have fun!

I have done both. Lamania is just more memorable in my opinion. It is a long day but it will be something you will remember. Action boys or Island Marketing would be two really choices since you are on a carnival ship. I have used both and both had my family in small or private groups.

Did it with Island Marketing as well and it was a awesome excursion. As previous stated by everyone, its a LONGGGG day lol. The tour personnel are very aware of the time and makes sure to get you back in time. I didnt feel rushed at all.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Lamanai / New River through Royal. It is (as already mentioned) a very long day. I would never think about doing it outside of the cruise line. We arrived about 15 minutes after the last tender was supposed to go out (they continued for awhile longer).

We did feel rushed at Lamanai. We didn't get to climb the last ruin. I felt our guide wasted too much time pointing out birds and trees on the way up the river and at Lamanai that caused us to rush when actually there. We spent about 5 minutes at each, and could only climb the first two (not Jaguar).

It was really cool, and definitely take a camera with a good zoom to capture birds, lizards, and a monkey (that they seem to have trained to take a banana) on the way up the river.

The bus ride was long (and not scenic), and the river ride was long (and after you have seen 10 minutes, you have seen it all). I am happy we did it, but next time we would beach it... that's more our style.