Gear Storage

joediver

We're planning our first dive cruise for next spring. NCL has a nice itinerary that covers some of my favorite dive areas....Belize, Roatan, Cozumel and Riviera Maya. Does anyone have any experience with NCL? They are promoting their Dive-In program but they don't say anything about accomodations for gear. Do they have gear lockers or facilities (other than the tiny bathrooms) to hang your wetsuits, boots, etc?

No spot for dive gear that we have heard of...it would be nice!

We always have one of the teeny cabins, so we do what's known as the 'gear and beer.'

We head straight for the pool deck, and find an area in the shade near the showers. I then get in the pool shower with the gear, and Keith totes it to the drying spot as I finish rinsing.

Then we enjoy a beverage (or several) and a snack or two from the Windjammer while the gear is drip-drying. If the timing is right, a little musical entertainment occurs as well. Piles of dive gear drying is also a beacon for other divers, which as you all know, are the best folks to chat with!

When it's fairly dry, or shower time, (whichever comes first) we pack it all up and tote it down to our cabin. Usually I inflate the BCs and tuck them under the bathroom counter after showers, and hang the rest as I can. We do warn the room steward - they are not usually accustomed to seeing towel-draped piles of drying masks, regulators, booties, etc.

A little fan works wonders, as well.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

I take all my gear and never get a balcony, but I also only take cruises to warm water destinations so I never wear a wetsuit. I've also purchased lycra socks to use with my open heel fins, so I don't need booties. Without wetsuits you need about half the space you would normally need. I never considered taking the equipment up to the sun deck and drying it there, over a cold beer. I guess monitoring this thread has just paid dividends for me.

One other comment. I've taken a minimalist approach to diving and usually study where I'm going to be diving before I go, so I take only the equipment that I think I'll need for the dives. Example. If I'm not doing any night dives I leave my lights home. If I'm going to dive in a "preserve" I leave my knife an gloves home since they will not let you carry or wear them. If you gonna have a dive master then you don't need a compass etc. This really helps with luggage size and weight, and avoids a bunch of miscellaneous equipment that needs to be rinsed and dried.

PS I never leave safety equipment home such as noise makers, and safety sausages.

Archived