St Thomas/Tortola

tortola

I cannot speak to ship excursions and I have limited experience with the places you mention, but I have snorkeled at different places in the Virgin Islands including Norman Island, St. John's salt pond bay, Indians, "the Dogs," and various other places etc. from a small private boat. Whenever I went to the baths I found them crowded and I enjoyed the walk through the boulders and swimming but never brought my snorkel gear over - it was usually pretty wavy. Someone else on our trip would usually snorkel there and seemed to enjoy it. I have always really enjoyed snorkeling at the Indians.

I can only offer my opinion about Coki beach. For the day we were there it was pretty nice up until about noon when it did start to feel a bit crowded. Perhaps that was because it was definitely uncrowded when we got there. We went there as soon as we got off the ship. The feed the fish at Coki so there were plenty of fish to see in the water, but I don't think the coral is very shallow, so you won't see much of that. I went diving there and thought it was just good, not great.

I get the impression that snorkeling is better on St. John than St. Thomas.

Norman is such a small island that I don't think the big cruise ships go there. So I don't know a specific itinerary to recommend. It is fairly close to the Indians which I think you had asked about. I am sure wherever you decide to go it will be beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...

We snorkeled at Saphire Beach. It was an $8 each way cab ride from the pier. This is a nice resort with a public beach. The snorkeling was very good when we were there. You can rent chairs, rafts etc. There is also a restaurant, bar etc. It was not crowded when we were there but we were there in the morning. Have a Great trip!!

Archived