Cruise port to Airport: Las Ramblas, Gothic Quarter in 2 hours

BigJon

After our cruise last weekend, we checked-in our luggage with DW Consigna (at the port), and then we walked outside the port building and boarded this bus. It took us right near the start of Las Ramblas (near the Columbus statue). It was $2 euros for a one-way trip (prices on the windshield). I took this picture when we exited the bus. We had a little over 2 hours to explore before we had to go to the airport to catch our flight.

30uwshz.jpg

After we walked past the Columbus statue, I turned around and took this photo

2n17s5s.jpg

Walking down Las Ramblas...

2qjccc6.jpg

We turned right, off of Las Ramblas, and walked into Place Reial. I read that in the evening, this place is really busy.

iw7zw4.jpg

Upon entering the square, we exited out the back, left corner, and walked toward Placa Sant Jaume.

2cd8pk2.jpg

The remains of the Roman wall were my reason for exploring this area. There are several columns from the Temple of Augustus, and that is what is shown below. When you get to Placa Sant Jaume, you take a left at the back, left corner on to Carrer del Paradis. You will walk several feet straight, and then the street turns right. At the end of the street, you will walk straight into the area where this is located. Check out Google maps, and it shows some street views. I was very impressed to see the remains of this Roman temple. It's around 2000 years old. WOW!

2q07yq9.jpg

Next stop, the Roman Wall........

WOW...Thank-you for the photos and insight. Perfect timing as my wife and I have book a 13 night cruise from Barcelona, next May 3rd, 2015. We are planning to be in Barcelona for 3 full days and nights before we leave on our cruise, plus, another full day and night when the ship returns to Barcelona as it is one of the port stops.

Being such an OCD person, I've been probably driving myself more crazy than I need to on what hotel to stay at, if we should stay close to Las Ramblas, etc.

Your photos provide an excellent perspective of what the area looks like versus guessing in your head. Thanks again.

Dave

"WOW...Thank-you for the photos and insight. Perfect timing as my wife and I have book a 13 night cruise from Barcelona, next May 3rd, 2015...." You're welcome Dave.

After we left the Temple of Augustus, we turned right and walked behind the church....

2hx1xtl.jpg

We walked to Baixada de la Libreteria, turned left and then to Carrer Sots Tinent Navarro. I turned around and took this picture looking down the street we had just been down. On the left corner, was a bakery, that I wish I would have explored. Everything in the window looked really good. It was called La Colmena....

a8rnr.jpg

Walked by a part of the old Roman Wall....(the Barcelonayellow website has a great map of the location of the Roman Wall remains)

c10d0.jpg

Then to the Cathedral....

scc5dx.jpg

When you are standing in front of the cathedral, go to your right, to the first street beside the cathedral. As soon as you get to this street, you will see this. This street leads back to Placa Sant Jaume....

11m69mb.jpg

I walked up this street (shown above) about 20 or 30 yards, and I took this picture. Looks like a gargoyle!!!

apjhpt.jpg

next up is the Roman cemetery and Aero bus to the airport....

We walked back over to La Rambla, and then walked toward Placa de Catalunya. Where these meet, there was a store that the girls wanted to go into (El Corte Ingles). I took this picture from the front of Ingles, looking toward Catalunya....

2dl23ac.jpg

After they were finished there, we walked over to the right side of Placa de Catalunya, to catch the Aerobus. It was 5.90 euros for a one-way ride to the airport. They had racks for your luggage, and it was a very clean and modern bus. We made 2 (very short) stops on the way to the airport. While the girls were at Ingles, I asked a cab driver how much a taxi would be to the airport, and he said around 30 euros. So the Aerobus is a great deal. They have an Aerobus with T1 and T2 (terminal 1 and terminal 2) on the outside, so make sure you get on the correct bus. I took this picture at the Barcelona airport (T1)....

1zph7xx.jpg

The Barcelona airport was very nice and modern....

1phxu9.jpg

Barcelona was a great place, with so much history. We have another Disney Transatlantic cruise scheduled for next year, and it begins in Barcelona and ends in Miami. So hopefully next year, we will get to explore more of Barcelona.

• 2 weeks later...