Carnival Sunshine vs Dream vs RCI Freedom OTS

stacyh270

Trying to decipher differences between the Carnival Sunshine, RCI Freedom OTS (both out of Port Canaveral) and the Carnival Dream (out of NOLA) for a cruise we plan to take with our kids (11, 6, 6) in late Nov or early Dec.

We have sailed Carnival, RCI, and Norwegian in the past and found we prefer the Carnival food; however, we have never sailed with our kids and want the best ship for them because we will be spending A LOT of time on the ship and on port days will likely just find a beach somewhere.

Both Carnival ships have sail dates the week after November so I'm thinking it shouldn't be too crowded on either one. At first, we were set on Port Canaveral because we can hit Sea World and/or Universal Studios (did WDW last year), but we can get two balcony rooms side by side on the Dream out of NOLA for the same as a balcony and interior across the hall on the Sunshine. It appears that the Dream is quite larger but I also see reviews about both ships being/feeling crowded. The Freedom OTS sails mid-Nov (less preferable date for DH) and is only $250 more for a superior balcony room and interior room across the hall, after the OBC is factored. We are actually booked on the Freedom OTS, but can cancel without penalty.

Between the two Carnival ships and RCI Freedom OTS,

1) How would you rate food differences, if any?

2) Do any of the ships feel crowded?

3) Is the WaterWorks area on any of the ship preferable to the other?

4) How are the pool sizes in comparison to passenger capacity?

5) Would an Eastern Caribbean (Nassau, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, San Juan, 2 sea days) itinerary on the Carnival Sunshine be better/worse/same as a Western Caribbean on the Dream(Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel, 3 sea days) for kids and for weather? The Freedom OTS docks at Cococay, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten, and has 3 sea days.

At first glance, from reviews, the RCI Freedom OTS seems to win hands down in most categories, but DH and the kids are googly-eyed over those tall waterslides (and DH sure loves his molten chocolate lava cake on Carnival)! :rolleyes:

I can't compare the ships since I haven't been on RCI and I sailed the Sunshine when she was the Destiny. But, I can highly recommend the Dream. I've sailed the Dream 4 times, once for 16 days, twice for 7 and then the last time for 9 days. All 39 days were terrific! I love the Dream. The food is great, the service is wonderful and your kids will LOVE Water Works. I can't imagine how they could enjoy another ship anymore. Whatever you choose, I hope you have a fabulous cruise.:D

I have only been on the dream out of the 3 but it didn't feel overcrowded to me, but doesn't have all of the 2.0 upgrades of that is important to you.

I'm not sure of the exact schedule but the Sunshine is supposed to get Seuss at Sea before the end of the year which may appeal to the younger kids.

Can't comment at all on the RC ship, sorry... But can point out the lack of the Liberty on your list, which may be cheaper than the Sunshine.

I have only been on the dream out of the 3 but it didn't feel overcrowded to me, but doesn't have all of the 2.0 upgrades of that is important to you.

I'm not sure of the exact schedule but the Sunshine is supposed to get Seuss at Sea before the end of the year which may appeal to the younger kids.

Can't comment at all on the RC ship, sorry... But can point out the lack of the Liberty on your list, which may be cheaper than the Sunshine.

Actually, we have looked at the Liberty. Love the fact that it includes St. Maarten because I know my kids would love Maho Beach and the planes! I was just under the impression that the WaterWorks was a lot better on the Sunshine and the Dream. I could, of course, be wrong! I need to look at it more....thx!

I've been on the Freedom of the Seas and Dream. Freedom by far has the best kids wter park area. Dream has the slides but not much in the way of a water park area. We don't have kids but the Dream was a lot better for us. Better price, better food, ect.

Well, we actually thought about it (and tossed and turned) all night and pulled the trigger on the Sunshine for Nov 29.

It all boiled down to the itinerary and the departure port. My kids were begging for the water slides that Freedom OTS didn't offer :) They were not impressed with the rock wall, ice rink, or even the Dreamworks characters :eek: Now, we can head down a couple of days early and do a day at Universal Studios before we embark for the price difference between the two.

Definitely egging for the Dream in the future :)

Well, we actually thought about it (and tossed and turned) all night and pulled the trigger on the Sunshine for Nov 29.

It all boiled down to the itinerary and the departure port. My kids were begging for the water slides that Freedom OTS didn't offer :) They were not impressed with the rock wall, ice rink, or even the Dreamworks characters :eek: Now, we can head down a couple of days early and do a day at Universal Studios before we embark for the price difference between the two.

Definitely egging for the Dream in the future :)

I live in central Florida and my wife just took me to Orlando for a surprise. Most hotels in that area are extremely overpriced. We stayed at the Drury Inn and Suites on Sand Lake Rd. I recommend it highly. It is in a great location, right off of I4 and it is close to everything. We had a suite which would most likely accommodate your whole family. Also they have a free breakfast that was pretty doggone good and in the evenings they have free hot Hors d'oeuvre and free beer and wine (two glasses each). I am in no way associated with this property but I will say for the price it will be hard to beat. Just make sure you book ahead of time and get a high floor opposite the interstate so you don't have any noise issues.

We debated almost this same thing before deciding on the Sunshine, and I will tell you why. Our kids will be 9,7,and 4. We chose the eastern itinerary because I concluded that eastern is better for beach days and western is better for adventure (cave tubing, etc). We figured we'd do western when the kids are a little older. One of the main reasons we went with sunshine over freedom ots because of waterworks and the sky course. Our kids would not appreciate the rock wall and ice skating yet. Again, something we'd love to do in a few years. Another reason we went with sunshine is the food choices! The biggest hesitation though is that the pool is VERY small for the number of passengers. Either other ship you mentioned would be better if this is a priority.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We debated almost this same thing before deciding on the Sunshine, and I will tell you why. Our kids will be 9,7,and 4. We chose the eastern itinerary because I concluded that eastern is better for beach days and western is better for adventure (cave tubing, etc). We figured we'd do western when the kids are a little older. One of the main reasons we went with sunshine over freedom ots because of waterworks and the sky course. Our kids would not appreciate the rock wall and ice skating yet. Again, something we'd love to do in a few years. Another reason we went with sunshine is the food choices! The biggest hesitation though is that the pool is VERY small for the number of passengers. Either other ship you mentioned would be better if this is a priority.

Have you sailed yet? Would love to hear about your shore excursions! I think we are planning on trying to find resorts with day passes and excellent pools and beach to make up for the lack of pools on the ship ;)

Frankly, we feel the exact same way as you in waiting until the kids are older for western Carib and the Freedom OTS.

I can't help you out with your itinerary but Sunshine was a great ship and your kids will enjoy the slides (I didn't get on them but the kids on the ship were having fun) and the rope course. If you get any time away from the children, the Serenity Deck is FABULOUS!!

Good choice at least as far as Carnival ships.

Our family (3 girls) have been on the Dream and Sunshine and we'd all prefer the Sunshine. The Dream is nice but for the kids stuff they liked the Sunshine better.

we went on the Dream last summer and our kids LOVED it! We are sailing on the Sunshine in September and I'm happy to hear that so many people liked it.

We originally booked on the Freedom and assumed that with the upgrades they would have the Waterworks. Why would they goo to drydock and not include that? BUT they didn't:-(. I wanted that itinerary, but the kids Waterworks is a number one priority!

[quote name=gred1994;43054849

We originally booked on the Freedom and assumed that with the upgrades they would have the Waterworks. Why would they goo to drydock and not include that? BUT they didn't:-(. I wanted that itinerary' date=' but the kids Waterworks is a number one priority![/quote]

It is all about the kids, isn't it! :D We'd definitely prefer a southern Caribbean itinerary but the airfare for five to San Juan would cost more than the cruise almost, and I'm afraid my kids would be VERY bored with island tours! We figure with all the waterslides on the ship and the beaches in port, our kids should have a fabulous time! If they don't, they're staying with Grandma the next time!

Have you sailed yet? Would love to hear about your shore excursions! I think we are planning on trying to find resorts with day passes and excellent pools and beach to make up for the lack of pools on the ship ;)

Frankly, we feel the exact same way as you in waiting until the kids are older for western Carib and the Freedom OTS.

We're not going until early November but are planning to do a day pass at the Hilton in nassau, beach/pool day at Margaritaville in Grand Turk, snorkeling with Fury Charters in St. Thomas, and just exploring the forts in San Juan :)

We're not going until early November but are planning to do a day pass at the Hilton in nassau, beach/pool day at Margaritaville in Grand Turk, snorkeling with Fury Charters in St. Thomas, and just exploring the forts in San Juan :)

We go late November, but your port day plans sound very similar to ours; however, we may just end up at Coki Beach in St. Thomas. We probably won't spend long exploring San Juan and will likely be on the boat a lot that day. I'd rather spend the money on Universal or Sea World in Orlando either before or after the cruise.