Can i order the fresh fruit cocktail as a starter on american table on liberty?

AmberTeka

That is my favorite appetizer. Also.....can you order a fresh green salad before the entrée? Like on with lettuce, tomatoes, carrots......? For the first time on a cruise I have diet restrictions. Not major. Just less salt and less calories. Thank you for any information you can share.

DW has very unusual food allergies and cannot have many vegetables or spices so her food is made separately.

The first night we tell the headwaiter (and she orders very plain food) and he sends over the asst MD or social host to discuss her needs and preorder for the next night. They do this each night of the cruise.

Tell what you need to the headwaiter and you will be fine.

I know that. But new dieters don't think beyond the word salad, they forget about the dressing part. Kind of defeats the purpose of a salad.

True. We have been looking at ingredients more closely lately and noticed that the low fat vidalia dressing we have been using for years has a first ingredient of sugar.

Needless to say that is the last time we will buy it.

To answer your original question,,,,YES,,,,you can order the fresh fruit cocktail as a starter, even though it isn't on the American Table menu. I've always had the fruit as a starter, and was disappointed to note that it wasn't on the menu, but my GREAT waiter on "Liberty" said, NO PROBLEM. I had it each, and every night! ;)

"SKY"

Have you noted the calorie count in salad dressings? It's such a mistaken idea that salads are to be on a weight loss program because of the dressings.

That is an excellent point. I have found that two table spoons of Thousand island is about 130 calories. Sometimes lower. A salad, below 150 calories is allowed in my case. SALT is what shocked me. Frozen diet dinners are loaded with salt. Canned soups. A lot of yummy things.....which I did not suspect. Sugar. Yes. Salt? No. Cereals. I do look forward to the walking on the ship, getting from here to there. I have discovered that has great benefits in getting that scale to slip downward......not upward. Thank all of you for your comments, and I will speak to the Maitr'd and ask for the fresh fruit plate..( I think they do one for kids anyway) and a green salad. it is on the side menu a lot. And they have a lot of Fish dishes. And I need to not even go to the buffet for breakfast. BACON will be calling my name. ditto grits. with butter. And I have lost a lot already and I love the results. But.the getting there.............sometimes easy. sometimes tough. Each day..one day at a time.

I know that. But new dieters don't think beyond the word salad, they forget about the dressing part. Kind of defeats the purpose of a salad.

VERY True. But some of the low calorie ones are full of SALT! I did not realize that. For me, and it is just me personally, measuring two tablespoons, even with the flatware at the table.........has worked. the dressing I love.......the buttermilk ranch.....with 180 per two tablespoons...........I just don't go near it. and Kraft has a lite thousand Island that is not bad for 80 calories two TBS.

Not only will they bring you fresh fruit, you can order it just the way you like it. DH likes watermelon and pineapple, not the cantalope and honeydew.

The first night, he was served the regular assortment, and ate just his favorites. The waiter noticed, and the next night offered to order it special. Each night, DH was presented a lovely plate of just the fruit he wanted. Don't be afraid to order it customized, it wastes less food!