Alaska Cruise May 31 to June 1. With pics.

gina06

So we were scheduled to get off the boat at 9:30. I started getting antsy so we got off at 9 which seemed fine, other people with our color were getting off to. Unfortunately, our plane did not take off until 11:59pm. So we had a ton of spare time. We got a taxi back to our hotel from the first night(the warwick) they held our luggage while we went exploring. We ended up back at pikes place market for some fresh fruit to eat, then off to the aquarium.

6-7-2014lastdayseattle147.jpg

Touching sea urchins and starfish.

6-7-2014lastdayseattle155.jpg

Cupcake the only octopus we saw, no matter how many tide pools or rocks we turned over.

6-7-2014lastdayseattle213.jpg

I don't remember what this is, but he was cool.

After the aquarium my boyfriend was hungry, so we grabbed some food by the Giant ferris wheel. I don't like seafood so it was just pizza. (sorry no great restaurant review) Although the pizza I ate was good. We then grabbed some gum and headed off to The famous gum wall.

6-7-2014lastdayseattle241.jpg

Its funny, because we probably went around this wall about 20 times. Then asked for directions to it.

We then walked all the way to Space Needle. Unfortunately they were sold out of elevators. ( I did not do enough research on this) I was mad, and sad. But we marveled at it beauty from below.

6-7-2014lastdayseattle264.jpg

Also right next to the space needle is the Chihuly Garden, Emp music muesum and the science center. We did not pay to go to any these. But they all looked interesting. We go on the monorail and it took us back into town( we were tired after all that walking). The monorail drops you off by a bunch of shops were if you have any money left you can spend it here.

Do not miss Recycled Percussion. They are from Las Vegas and I think america got talent. This was definitely the best show. I was expecting the shows not to be this great. But surprisingly I wasn't disappointed by any of them. Although I haven't done a disney cruise or carnaval in a long time. The shows were pretty on point for what they had to work with. But I strongly urge you to go to this show. I was not expecting this show on the boat, and it was nice surprise. I believe its the night your in sitka. They provided earplugs for the show( in case loud noises is not your thing) Must go, do not miss it.

Sounds like STOMP - which while fantastic just gave me a headache. LOL. I put NO stock in anything from Vegas. I'm much more into originals than copies. But I'll pass the info along to others in the group I'm with who aren't used to top-notch stuff.

The weather was quite warm. I wore shorts the first day in seattle, and before the boat started moving.

The day at sea you will need jeans and shirt and maybe a jacket. Its pretty windy so I didn't go outside that much, and you can't see any wildlife or scenery.So you really wouldn't even need a jacket if you didn't go outside. Unless you get cold easily, some spots of the boat felt like the A/C was turned on full blast.

In Juneau it was raining where the ship was docked, but in Auke bay the sun was shining not a cloud in the sky. Im from Florida so my blood runs thin (not used to cold at all) so i purchased under armor cold gear from Dicks sporting goods. I got the leggings and an undershirt. (its that black thing my thumbs are poking thru in pictures) I just put this under my normal clothes I already had. They are amazing.

Glacier bay was raining when we arrived but started to clear up thru the day. You will definitely need to layer up here. I was wearing two layers of pants and 3 layers of shirts. And I took hand warmers and was still cold. But getting wet at the beginning kinda affected that. And once I missed the orcas I didn't want to go to the room to change cause I might miss something else on the other side of the boat.

In Sitka it was cold in the morning when you get off the boat, but then it warmed up and with walking around we were sweating(so i didn't need my hoodie ended up tying it around my waist).My boyfriend just wore jeans and shirts no hoodie the entire trip but glacier bay. But once out of the sun (in the tongass national forest) I got cold again. But by this time in the trip I was getting used to weather and loving it compared to 100 degrees every dang day with humidity. I loved not having to deal with humidity.

Ketchikan was quite warm after around 9, although I did not do an excursion, so it might be different for other people. I did not need a jacket, and probably would of been fine in shorts and a hoodie. But then again if there is no sun, it gets cold quickly.

Victoria it was late, so jeans and shirt were fine. Then hoodie when it got dark.

Once back in Seattle I wore shorts again with a long sleeve shirt.

So just remember layers. The cold gear under armor was the only purchase I made (beside formal) for the trip and I wore most days under normal stuff I already had. You will be there later than me, so it might be warmer.

Thank you

I wear jeans or slacks year round in South Texas - there's just no need to blind people with all my leg showing! I'm always warm/hot, did not own a cold weather gear at.all. I have a fleece lined rain jacket in the mail now [thank you CrimsonHoundstooth] to layer. I got the silkies version of under armor - so I think all is good. I'll plan for capris instead of shorts and try to make a decision about waterproof shoes...soon!

Thank you

I wear jeans or slacks year round in South Texas - there's just no need to blind people with all my leg showing! I'm always warm/hot, did not own a cold weather gear at.all. I have a fleece lined rain jacket in the mail now [thank you CrimsonHoundstooth] to layer. I got the silkies version of under armor - so I think all is good. I'll plan for capris instead of shorts and try to make a decision about waterproof shoes...soon!

I did not take any waterproof anything. I was fine everyday, except glacier bay but even then it wasn't that bad. (We did have an umbrella.) I did wish I wouldn't of taken a jacket as I could of bought one as a souvenir. But I over packed and ended up buying a suitcase at target in seattle to lighten the load in our checked bag. But living in Texas you're definitely more prepared than me.

We then walked all the way to Space Needle. Unfortunately they were sold out of elevators. ( I did not do enough research on this) I was mad, and sad. But we marveled at it beauty from below.

They sell out of tickets for the Space Needle? I hope I get there early enough to get tickets.

We'll they were sold of elevators to the top. Although I didn't ask if I could take the stairs. :p The elevators were sold out until 9ish, and we needed to be to the airport two hours early(we got a taxi at 9:15 and arrived at the airport at 10) . I am glad we got to the airport early as there was only one security line open, we stood in line for an hour or so. :mad: also the traffic was pretty heavy on the way also. I should've bought tickets at the aquarium when we went. But live and learn. Hopefully I will get back to that side of the world soon.

They sell out of tickets for the Space Needle? I hope I get there early enough to get tickets.

You can purchase them ahead of time online.

My parents went to Seattle last year and said there is a building (I forget the name) that has an observation deck with better views though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You said you went snorkeling in Ketchikan in 2009? I have scheduled that tour in August. Was it as good as it sounds and do you recommend it?

I enjoyed it. It was cold, but nothing peeing in the suit couldn't hurt. :D The water is not as clear as in the keys. But it something you can brag about for the rest of your life. When I tell people they never believe me. Not a lot of sea life (such as fish) but plenty of starfish, and sea anemones and jelly fish. They let you hold sea cucumbers and star fish. your also given the option of wearing a weight belt to free dive if you like. But if your expecting it to the like the keys or caribbean, you will be disappointed. Here is a little sneak peak. Highly recommended loading it in 1080 hd. It can be changed in the settings.

This was not when we snorkeled, but it is in Ketchikan on the go pro. I recommend watching in 1080HD, it is worth the wait to load.

Thank you for answering my questions. It does look quite different from anywhere else, but still looks interesting. Like you said.. bragging rights. I am definitely going to keep my reservations!!