Bermuda Dockyard Trolley - Wheelchair accessible

Before heading out on our Bermuda cruise, I had asked a lot of questions about the Dockyard Trolley. I had *heard* that it was wheelchair accessible but couldn't find any pictures to show how it was (i.e. ramp, lift, space, etc).

Here are some pictures I took of the trolley and my mother getting on with her manual, transport chair.

As a note, the gentlemen driving the trolley were extremely helpful everytime we entered or exited the trolley. They seem to take extra care with wheelchair users or people who need help.

One more note - not every stop is accessible. We got off at the clocktower mall the first time. We got off onto the grassy area and there were no curb cuts down onto the road/sidewalk. We had to do a bit of a risky move where my dad helped my mom up, she hugged a street sign on the corner and then swung around and plopped into her chair which I had positioned on the street behind her. We made it work but it's not something we wanted to do again.

The Dockyard is very accessible itself - almost all of the stores and attractions have an accessible entrance with sufficient space to roll in and out of. We loved the clocktower mall (which is really more boutique/unique/specialty stores), the Arts and Crafts Market, the glassblowing place (beautiful work but expensive), the rum cake factory (my parents were both bakers so they appreciated getting a glimpse of the inner workings - and the tastings enticed us to by 3 small cakes), and my dad (not a wheelchair user) loved snorkel park for the snorkelling (he doesn't lie around the beach, he wants to be in with the fishes).

The trolley pulling up right outside our cruise ship area:

100_0739_zps5e4a3112.jpg

The accessible part of the trolley (the last car):

100_0740_zpsb351589a.jpg

The moveable ramp that is stored inside the last car. The driver will come and put it down and if there are others in the car who are not wheelchair / scooter / stroller users, he will ask them to move to a different car:

100_0741_zpsf5bd2998.jpg

Taking my mom up the ramp (the driver pulled and my dad was in front - pushing a bit but also ensuring my mom didn't slide or fall out - the ramp is a bit steep).

100_0742_zps0d46e883.jpg

Coming to the top of the ramp - watch your elbows!

100_0743_zpsec5ad986.jpg

And finally in the trolley car. The driver reminds you to apply your brakes and will ask if you know where you're getting off.

100_0744_zpsb2a68506.jpg

We had two different drivers (1 guy most of the time but one trip back, we had a different guy). They were both great but the one in the photo was the best. So nice, so helpful. We tipped well for his service (which I do recommend).

The trolley always felt really safe and it made it very easy to get around and be able to do stuff, keep out of the sun (my mother's also on medication that makes her photosensitive) and give my dad and I a break from pushing.

A very interesting and informative article, from Scarborough, Ont., Canada. ;)

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California Coastal

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May, 2014, LA - Vancouver one way

Future & Hopeful Cruises

( Already booked )

30rd cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, Vancouver, Alaska Round trip

31st - 32nd cruise - Royal Princess 19 Dec. 2014. - 08 Jan, 2015, 20 Day, B2B, Christmas/New Year, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

Edited by Donna's Dad

Thanks for the pictures. DW & I will be there for our fifth visit in September. We have never taken the trolley, opted to drive (via scooter) and walk around the Dockyard. Thanks again.

Very easy to get around Dockyard via scooter. All venues accessible, flat, easy.

If one desires a full tour of Bermuda the one provided and shared by dockyard cruiselines, run by Unique Vacations minibus is wonderful...5 hours but accessible to scooters, wheelchairs or for thosevwho would like limited walking. It is booked through the cruiseline, a bit pricey, but great. Vicki

Great info. and so helpful! Is there a fee for the trolly?

There's no charge for the trolley and it picks up / drops off at each ship. There are several stops around the dockyard - ferry/bus depot, clocktower mall, pharmacy, artisan market/snorkel park and a couple of others.