AZURA A505B Caribean March 7 2015

sunrise1000

I am told the best way to do tours is to go to the various dock sides and find an authorised taxi or join a group on a mini coach. We are a party of 4 and all being new to this type of planning can anyone advise on the reliability and safety of such tours.

I am told the best way to do tours is to go to the various dock sides and find an authorised taxi or join a group on a mini coach. We are a party of 4 and all being new to this type of planning can anyone advise on the reliability and safety of such tours.

We have usually always 'done our own thing' either by just getting a taxi for a tour, walking round the towns or booking tours on-line i.e Bumpping Tours on Dominica and Cosol tours on St Lucia.

You will find that the taxis/tour operators are fine as they are used to the cruise lines.

If you google your ports or go on to the ports of call on this site you will find a wealth of info.

Another tip is to start a roll call for your cruise and you will meet more experienced cruisers who will be happy to help with info regarding your particular cruise.

Molly

We are on this cruise but fly out the day before on the 6th and are staying on for the sail back cruise. We have used Cosol on St Lucia and it was fantastic, he even took us to his house for breakfast prepared by his girlfriend. It was exceptional value for money and paid for on return to the ship. He had a cool box in his boot with the drinks people had asked for, for the photo stops. I'll start a roll call if you want any more information.

If there is a roll call started, that's the bestplace to look, also the port of call section. without looking up your cruise not sure what your port of calls are, but if st. lucia is one then I agree about cosol tours, they do a great one that includes drinks( soft and alcoholic) also a stop for food included in price and you don't pay before your trip which is nice.

if tortola is a stop , a group could get a private mini bus to smugglers beach( a lovely quiet beach where the only available food is Patricia's (rustic but good)

Have a great time. wish it was me!

Ps. I would always check on cruise critic and tripadvisor for advice about tours on the islands rather than just pick anyone at random at the quayside- but that's just me, extra cautious!

Edited by louthebowler

I have always used the ports of call forum. I have found the level of information invaluable for planning our trips.

Terry

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone....I've been looking for a roll call for this cruise, but haven't spotted one yet! Will set one up now, if you want to wander over.

Hammers - once the roll call is set up, I'm sure there will be plenty of folks who can recommend tours etc. I head to the beach most days, so can't help much with the tours.:confused:

On Azura last Jan, and we always use taxis or mini buses at the port side in the Caribbean. We have been last four years in Jan and using these is Safe as houses.

We cruise with another couple so always four of us and it's really easy. Sometimes your in a small mini bus that's not too comfortable with maybe another six people. But it's ok for us, maybe not everybodies cup of tea.

If we use a taxi to get somewhere and want picking up we only pay on the return journey so it makes sure they come back for us. We don't insist on this it's usually the drivers who tell us that. They are really cool and laid back.

To be fair if your very very safety minded don't look too carefully at some of the mini buses or driving standards.

Not dangerous but wouldn't get thro an mot over here. Some of our drivers have often seemed a little cool, which to be fair added to the experience.

Have a great time, we love the Caribbean ......

Had a fabulous time! I think St Maarten is a favourite because it is sooo convenient for shops and beach and has the cheapest prices. It was our 3rd visit and we have now done at least a short tour at each island as well as a wallow on the beach. Will have to go to Antigua another 362 times before we run out of new beaches! Enjoy!