Internet Security in Russia

During the televised Olympics this winter there was much discussion about internet security hacks in Russia. I'll be spending three days in St. Petersburg on Azamara Journey and want to know if anyone who has traveled here has any suggestions? I plan to use the Wi-Fi provided on the ship. I turn off my cell phone in Europe and only communicate via email back to the states, but I have lots of personal data in my email should it be hacked. Is the issue a real one that I need to be concerned with? If so, how best should I guard against any evil hackers trying to get my personal data? :confused: Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Used my email throughout the Baltics. I was hacked in Copenhagen either on the Hoho buses or the cruise terminal.

Thanks for the info KiwiMum.

May I ask if you were using secured wi-fi? What happened when you were hacked? Were the hackers able to access sensitive data? What kind of trouble did it cause you?

I have been to Copenhagen a few times and used wi-fi there to access my email without any trouble but I think I only did so in the hotel's secure internet access.

During the televised Olympics this winter there was much discussion about internet security hacks in Russia. I'll be spending three days in St. Petersburg on Azamara Journey and want to know if anyone who has traveled here has any suggestions? I plan to use the Wi-Fi provided on the ship. I turn off my cell phone in Europe and only communicate via email back to the states, but I have lots of personal data in my email should it be hacked. Is the issue a real one that I need to be concerned with? If so, how best should I guard against any evil hackers trying to get my personal data? :confused: Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I was advised by an IT professional to open a gmail.com account and add the address of my usual e-mail account to it. (settings > accounts and imports > check mail from other accounts)

He assured me that the only thing a hacker could access was the current imports from the usual account but not the account itself.

This setting can be disabled after your holiday but activated again anytime.

Not sure how correct this advice is but used it anyhow.

Anni :)