Resident with no passport

FTLCruiseGal

This is NOT correct. A green card does not replace a passport.

As far as cruising goes, YES, the green card replaces the passport. Folks, get this in the proper context. I am not talking about boarding a flight to Russia. And even if she were boarding a flight to Russia, the green card is still her primary document supported by her German passport. Bur for a CRUISE, her green card is the SOLE document needed and was for the last 5 cruises we took. Y'all can argue semantics till the cows come home but until you are the one deciding if my wife can board the ship or not, I'll still with what the actual powers at be say.

Did you actually read what you quoted?

Because, again, the US CBP does not make the rules for foreigners, legal US residents or not, in countries that aren't the US.

That's exactly what I said originally. The USA considers a green card sufficient for closed loop cruises but the foreign ports of call may not. I think we're arguing the same point.

Hi there op, my hubs is a resident as well (mexico) and every time he travels, he gets a different experience and like this message board is told different things. Sure enough when we took our cruise (about 6 years ago now) he was told his drivers license and ra card would be enough. we were frightful of all the things we had heard that resident's had had issues with within us ports and foreign ones (western carribbean) and honestly I think it's whatever is up their tookus at the time. some places he was asked for his passport (luckily we had gone ahead and gotten it) and others, his dl and ra card was enough. I will say that they really scrutinized his card, passport and dl and the rest of our little groups as well when we got back through to galveston. It took us just a little longer to clear through than others that were with us. My suggestion. Tell your friend to save themselves the hassle and the what if's. get the passport, you'll breathe easier.

I posted this up thread but you must have missed it. According to the CBP, a green card is sufficient for closed-loop cruises:

Yeah, I did miss that.

You believe what you want but I will go with the answers from CCL, NCL, & RCCL as they are the ones who dictate whether or not my wife has the proper paperwork to board a ship, not you. When boarding a ship, the only thing they want from my wife is her green card and that is what they will get.

It is not a question of my believing blindly.

I read the rules and prefer to cover everything.

It is not simply about boarding the ship; it is about traveling to a foreign country. How much help is the cruiseline official from a US port going to be in St. Lucia or Barbados or anywhere else for that matter?

Cruise passengers don't require a visa to visit most countries; but that doesn't mean that an official can't stop you and ask for documents, whether it be a green card, a passport, or simply a driver's license.

Also, what if you get stuck in a foreign country? Is the green card going to be enough at the foreign country's airport?

Edited by hirent

Yeah, I did miss that.

It is not a question of my believing blindly.

I read the rules and prefer to cover everything.

It is not simply about boarding the ship; it is about traveling to a foreign country. How much help is the cruiseline official from a US port going to be in St. Lucia or Barbados or anywhere else for that matter?

Cruise passengers don't require a visa to visit most countries; but that doesn't mean that an official can't stop you and ask for documents, whether it be a green card, a passport, or simply a driver's license.

Also, what if you get stuck in a foreign country? Is the green card going to be enough at the foreign country's airport?

Never been to St Lucia or Barbados but at every port i've been to in the Caribbean, the security folks at the port have no idea what nationality my wife (or you) is. She, like everyone else, takes her S&S card and her DL and that get's her back on the ship. So the Caribbean islands couldn't care less as long as she has those to documents. As for flying home, a German passport will not allow her entry into the country as a resident.....only the green card does that. Granted, her passport could allow her to fly to Germany as a resident but that would be going the wrong way.

It's not a questions of blindly believing anything told, it's a question of follow the orders of the security personnel who have the power to keep you off the ship. You can argue semantics of the law with them if you choose, I will simply reply with their orders (and that is to present the green card for boarding).

First of all, thank you for all the replies.

Second of all, no, she did not over-stay a student visa. She thought that the passport was valid for another year. It was a total brain fart that it expired.

It is only a weekend cruise that goes to Nassau, and we can skip going onto shore no problem.

I am just wondering if she will have problems when trying to reenter the US. She doesn't know if there will be enough time for her to get a new passport as we are leaving in August.

First of all, thank you for all the replies.

Second of all, no, she did not over-stay a student visa. She thought that the passport was valid for another year. It was a total brain fart that it expired.

It is only a weekend cruise that goes to Nassau, and we can skip going onto shore no problem.

I am just wondering if she will have problems when trying to reenter the US. She doesn't know if there will be enough time for her to get a new passport as we are leaving in August.

According to the US government and posters above....No, she won't have a problem entering the US on a Green Card. Have a US driver's license or state ID as a secondary form of identification and she should be fine.

Edited by hirent