Things to do in the Lofoten islands

Hi

We will be Leknes on the 1st August and thought about hiring a car rather than doing the ships tour however the car hire company tell me that all their cars are taken! (First time i've come across that one!) So we are at a loose end and hoping that some one may have suggestions for two reasonable fit 60 year old, perhaps a short walking tour but not cycling TOH is not to good on two wheels. Thanks Travelingman52.

We actually priced out a day of exploring on our own (renting a car, admission fees, fuel, lunch, etc) and an all-day ship's tour was actually comparable in price. If you can stand being with a group on a tour bus, that's something to consider.

There isn't much to see around the port, and IMO it would be a shame to be so close to some of Norway's most beautiful places (e.g. Reine, Nusfjord, etc) and not visit them. Many Norwegians consider Lofoten to be the most beautiful place in Norway, but you won't see much unless you venture pretty far from the port.

Anecdotal evidence: We had a photography contest at work to come up with artwork for our new office. Of the few dozen most popular entries, two were photos of Reine!

I would love it, but the DW would not and as she allowing me a bird watching safari when we are in Honisvarg i don't think there is much chance. So i think we will be sitting this port out apart from looking at the scenery as we sail in.

Travelingman52