Best Hotel in Miami For My Family? - 2 day Pre Xmas Cruise Stay

travellady

When - 12/23 to 12/25

Who we are:

Husband - 48

Me - 49

Twin single handsome "enjoy the nightlife" sons - 27 (well 2 weeks away from 27 this trip)

Son - 12

We are flying into FLL, won't have a car, and cruising out of Miami. I've read this message board for hotel recommendations, checked on the lowest rate we can get these dates, and have come up with the list below.

My twin sons will want to do clubs in South Beach as least one of the nights we're there. We won't have a car so ideally we'll find a place where we can walk around and don't have to rely on taxis to get us everywhere. For example, one of our favorite non-car trips was staying in the heart of Times Square with all sorts of activities at our doorstep. I realize Miami isn't quite Times Square however :-)

We enjoy the beach (even in December as we're coming from the grey chilly Pacific Northwest), unique shops, good food but that doesn't necessarily mean "in" restaurants. A sidewalk cafe with great sandwiches is fine, we go for quality tasty food. We enjoy people watching but also like a quiet place to rest our heads when we're ready to tuck in for the night.

We don't mind taking a taxi if we have to, but don't really want to rely on one for everything we do.

Opinions from list below? Any other suggestions? We'll need two rooms so my goal is to keep it 250.00 or below per room per night. Thanks!

Bayside Area

JW Marriott (169.00)

Hotel Intercontinental (199.00)

Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay (189.00)

South Beach Area

Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach (149.00)

Doubletree Surfcomber (229.00)

Courtyard Miami Ocean Beach (249.00)

If you want to do the South Beach clubs, sidewalk cafes, and "people watching" along Ocean Drive and won't have a car, then I would NOT consider the downtown Miami hotels. There's no action down there except Bayside and quite frankly that's not that great and nothing compared to South Beach!

The only hotel in your list that's within walking distance of the heart of South Beach, the clubs, shops, and restaurants would be the SURFCOMBER. The other 2 you listed are way too far north to walk down to where you want to be. You would need taxis to get from them down to the action and traffic can be a nightmare in the area. I'd much rather stay where I could easily walk - It's a lot faster! ;)

I would also consider the South Beach Marriott... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/MIAMB

Or THIS Courtyard as it's much closer to the action and within easy walking distance of everything you want... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/MIACB

Or Loews South Beach... http://www.loewshotels.com/hotels/miamibeach/default.asp

Thanks for your quick reply TrentS. Both the South Beacn Marriott and the Courtyard are showing no availability for the dates we require. And Loews is quite expensive for these dates - about 500.00 per room per night.

I went ahead and booked the Doubletree Surfcomber to make sure I have something reserved. It gets decent reviews on Travelocity so can't be too bad. And location looks to be good as well. We really don't want to spend a lot on taxi fare going back and forth between South Beach and Bayside even though we can get a nice hotel in that area for less money. Location is important to us. It's been awhile since we've been to South Beach - in fact just before going through it's renovaton period and not quite the happening place it is today. My 27 year olds were just 8 at the time and more interested in the beach but also had a great time at an outdoor sidewalk Art Deco fair. The club scene is more important to them now ;)

Oh you probably won't recognize much now if it's been that long since you've been there. It's changed a LOT! :)

I haven't been in that one, but Surfcomber is a great choice location wise. You can easily walk from there to all of the things it sounds like you want to do in South Beach.

Ocean Drive between 5th and roughly 15th Streets is all sidewalk cafes and gridlock (human as well as vehicular), but a lot of fun, and some of the best people watching anywhere.

There are many other restaurants & shops also between roughly 5th & 15th along Collins & Washington Avenues as well as on Lincoln Road Mall.

If your sons want to hit some clubs they may like this page... http://www.southbeach-usa.com/nightclubs.htm

Thanks once again TrentS. Sounds like the Surfcomber fits our budget and location requirements. Based on the fact that hotels in South Beach are already completely booked and those that aren't are advertising high prices, I suspect it will be crowded. It's Christmas weekend so should be fun. Wall to wall people isn't a problem, wall to wall car traffic is.

I'll pass the club link you sent on to my sons. Something for them to study for the next 4 months.

Archived