Tender timing for independent excursions - FP specific

MrOZ

I realize the topic of tender timing for independent excursions is not a new topic here, but I couldn't find specific answers for French Polynesia. Specifically, my wife and I will be on the Marina for the January 4 sailing, and we were wondering about tendering for independent excursions in Moorea, with a scheduled visit of 8am-6pm.

We were considering an ATV tour that has both a morning tour (9am start) and and afternoon (4:45-5pm finish). We wanted to do the morning tour, but the guide company said people are generally not off the ship until 9:30, and recommended the afternoon tour instead. I was a bit hesitant about the afternoon and wondered we needed to be at the dock to tender back.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I realize the topic of tender timing for independent excursions is not a new topic here, but I couldn't find specific answers for French Polynesia. Specifically, my wife and I will be on the Marina for the January 4 sailing, and we were wondering about tendering for independent excursions in Moorea, with a scheduled visit of 8am-6pm.

We were considering an ATV tour that has both a morning tour (9am start) and and afternoon (4:45-5pm finish). We wanted to do the morning tour, but the guide company said people are generally not off the ship until 9:30, and recommended the afternoon tour instead. I was a bit hesitant about the afternoon and wondered we needed to be at the dock to tender back.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

We were in FP on Marina this past March-April. I posted a detailed review on 'early tendering' June 28th http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2025834

I had similar concerns. This is what I experienced: if you are in the Lounge when it opens you will get on the 1st tender. They will announce that 'the Marina Lounge is open' be there! We waited to get in at the reception area. Delays are weather dependent and occur for those who show up later, when the bulk of the tours/people want off. If you are with a group, make it clear, thru your RCall that they should follow that procedure.

We also did Alberts ATV tour. If you are not comfortable with driving the vehicle reserve a SSV (side by side, no helmet required and easier to drive)

some parts of the trail are challenging so if you have any physical problems especially back prob. beware:eek: You will encounter bugs so bring repellent.

If you are a full group of Marina passengers they should accommodate...a morning tour would be best IMO.

Thanks for the advice! I contacted them again, and they are willing to do a special, later morning tour if we can fill all 5 ATV and 2 SSV. I've posted on the roll-call, so we'll see. If not, maybe we'll hike instead.

Thanks for the advice! I contacted them again, and they are willing to do a special, later morning tour if we can fill all 5 ATV and 2 SSV. I've posted on the roll-call, so we'll see. If not, maybe we'll hike instead.

It is a very popular excursion, you will definitely fill all the spots. 'Louis' was a fabulous guide. They also have a Jetski tour combination!! Are you doing a precruise stay before the cruise? If you can I highly recommend it.