Post Bayonne Cruise to NYC

cyntil8ing

We are driving and currently plan on parking at Cape Liberty.

But now we're thinking of spending a few days in the city after our cruise. We are a family of four -- two adults, two children (8 and 11). Our question then becomes where should we stay and what should we do with our car.

Primary consideration is cost. Secondary is time spent getting around. We are not opposed to trains, subways, buses or ferries but don't want to spend most of our time commuting. The final consideration is logistics. I prefer lots of flexibility and no pre-arrangement required. Having to be at a post-cruise hotel to maybe get a seat on their 11:00am shuttle to the port makes me nervous. On the other hand, spending $$$ on a taxi ride back and forth between our car and the port feels crazy.

I know this is wide open, but that's kind of my intention. I'm looking for ideas I haven't considered. Or if you happen to know a great hotel in a great location in the city where parking costs less than lodging! Thanks.

We are driving and currently plan on parking at Cape Liberty.

But now we're thinking of spending a few days in the city after our cruise. We are a family of four -- two adults, two children (8 and 11). Our question then becomes where should we stay and what should we do with our car.

Primary consideration is cost. Secondary is time spent getting around. We are not opposed to trains, subways, buses or ferries but don't want to spend most of our time commuting. The final consideration is logistics. I prefer lots of flexibility and no pre-arrangement required. Having to be at a post-cruise hotel to maybe get a seat on their 11:00am shuttle to the port makes me nervous. On the other hand, spending $$$ on a taxi ride back and forth between our car and the port feels crazy.

I know this is wide open, but that's kind of my intention. I'm looking for ideas I haven't considered. Or if you happen to know a great hotel in a great location in the city where parking costs less than lodging! Thanks.

What is your budget for a hotel room? Are you staying August 17-20? Would you use Hotwire?

On a high level there are three strategies.

1). Get a hotel room in NYC on Hotwire or another travel site. Park at the pier. Have another set of luggage packed for just NYC. Drive from Cape Liberty to Journal Square Transportation Center to park your car for about $13/day and take yourselves and your NY luggage to midtown(33rd & 6th - Herald Square) on PATH for $2.50/pp plus a cab at the other end to your hotel. This will work easily only for a midtown hotel - please see note below.

2). Book a 4* Jersey City hotel on Hotwire - out there right now for $170 + tax.

This is highly likely to be the Hyatt or Westin or perhaps the W. Transportation to NY is a quick ride to lower Manhattan or a 15 minute ride to midtown on PATH. Parking would be extra, but you could use the Journal Square Transportation Center.

3). Book a hotel in Secaucus that has a bus stop near by. Plan to ride the bus in and out of the city. Parking would be free at these hotels, but you should check. All buses would go to and from Port Authority Bus Terminal at 40th & 8th.

Please note that there is no Sunday PATH to Exchange Place or World Trade

Center due to track construction.