Taxi cost for ride from Sheraton OSJ to AOS Pan Am Pier?

CruiserRDH

I understand the Adventure of the Seas leaves from the Pan American Pier which is about 5 minutes from the Old San Juan Piers?!!

I am staying at the Sheraton Old San Juan pre-cruise and need to know how much a taxi will cost??

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Legends,

Okay ... now I'm excited. Thank you for your response. As the Puerto Rico Expert, I'm hoping you can help me out here!!

I did call the Puerto Rico Tourism Company yesterday before I posted this thread. It was THAT experience that prompted to get online and try this venue. Here is my story.

I called the San Juan PRTC office first. I was hoping to get clarification on the charges for "additional luggage". I knew all about the "Zone Fixed Rates" but I really needed help with the luggage issue. I had a group of clients travel to San Juan pre-cruise recently and I have another group traveling to San Juan this October and I was hoping for some clarification!!!

For the group that just returned from San Juan (and I was with this group), we were all charged the correct Zone 3: Airport/OSJ/Pier $16.00 flat rate per van ... but we were ALL charged something different for luggage!! Each group/van had six passengers and each person had two pieces of luggage. We all arrived at different times, and I assume we each had a different person who wrote out our taxi receipts.

- One group was charged .50 cents for each piece of luggage.

- Another group was not charged for the first three bags, but were charged .50 cents for each bag after that.

- Another group was charged .50 cents for the first two bags and then $1.00 for each bag thereafter.

- The group I was in ... we were charged $1.00/bag INCLUDING two back packs and one friend's purse. Since I had been to San Juan before (June 2004), I knew this did not sound correct. Although $15 ($1/bag) is NOT a big deal ... it just didn't sound right. When I questioned the official who wrote out our receipt, he said the "policy had changed". We paid the $15 for luggage, the $16 flat rate and gave the driver a very nice tip.

After finding out that not ONE of our vans was charged consistently, I decided I would research this matter before my next trip in October. Again, it's really not a huge dollar amount we are talking about ... it's just the idea that we were all charged something different.

When I called the San Juan PRTC office yesterday, I was transferred three times and the third time no one answered. I had the number for the Los Angeles office, so I called it next.

The first woman I spoke to said "Luggage is $2.00 each person. It's not based on how many bags, it is a per person price". Very quick answer and no hesitation. Hmmm?? I asked if she had something in writing. She transferred me to Vanessa.

Vanessa was very helpful. She said "I don't know the answer to your questions, but I will find out." She called the Puerto Rico office and had them fax her the flyer ... and she in turn faxed it to me.

1. The Zone routes and rates were just what I had read online and exactly what we were charged. (ie: Zone 3: Airport to Pier/OSJ: $16 and Zone 4: OSJ Hotel to Pier $6) and the brochure clearly says "and vicecersa" which is exactly what I was hoping for!! This means Zone 3 is the Airport to Pier and/or Pier to Airport ride!!!! Excellent. This should mean that Zone 4, which is Piers/Old San Juan ... is Old San Juan/Piers = $6.00. (My trip from my hotel to the Pier will be $6.00 flat rate.)

2. The brochure also says the fixed rates "include two pieces of luggage. Each additional piece: $0.50. Does not include kennels." Vanessa underlined it for me ... although it's very easy to see and read. Another EXCELLENT!

3. Vanessa also put a "star" next to "metered rates". IF your travel in a taxi does NOT include a stop or a start at the airport or the pier, your taxi ride is NOT a fixed rate, it is a metered rate. Listed under "metered rates" (which should not apply to me since ALL the taxi rides I need DO involve the airport/pier) there is different verbage for luggage. Under Metered Rates, for luggage, it reads: ... Each piece of additional luggage: $0.50. Extra piece of luggage (trunk): $1.00. (Hmmmm ... Trunk: $1.00, interesting.)

So ... please give me your opinion. Here is what I think I will tell my friends.

1. Taxis Turisticos are painted white with the official logo shown on their front doors. These taxis offer fixed rates to and from the tourist zones.

2. Taxis that are vans will accomodate seven passengers maximum. (Most taxis in San Juan are vans, not sedans. Sedans will hold fewer passengers.)

3. Zone 3: $16 Airport/OSJ Hotels and/or Piers (and viceversa)

4. Zone 4: $ 6 Piers and OSJ Hotels (and vicecersa)

3. Get a receipt BEFORE you get in the taxi/van.

4. For luggage, the first two bags are included in the flat rate. For additional luggage, you will be charged $0.50 per bag.

And finally, we ALL gave the driver a tip in addition to what the receipt listed?!!! I mention this because I overheard another passenger at the cruise terminal say that the "luggage charge" was the driver's tip?!!!

So, in answering my original question about "how much from the Sheraton Old San Juan to the Pan American Pier", RichardK, in his response below said: $10

which includes tip. This seems accurate for two passengers with four bags total: $6 flat rate, two bags free, two bags at .50 cents, and a $3.00 tip.

Does all this sound right to you?

I very much appreciate your help. I've got 97 people traveling in my October group and after our last experience ... I just want to be more knowledgable and informed.

Thank you.

Kim

Kim, we got burned on the ride from the Sheraton OSJ to the RCCL terminal but knew it. We made the mistake of not asking the fare in advance.

I have the form I was given from the taxi company at the airport right in front of me. From the airport to the Sheraton is $16 plus $.50 for the first three pieces of luggage. Every piece after that is $1. Between me, my dh and my 2 kids, we had 5 suitcase but each carried a backpack. We were charged for 4 pieces of luggage. I think it is up to the person filling out the forms and how generous they are feeling. At the bottom of the form, it says "Does Not Include Tips." We had a great cab driver who told us it should be $10 from the hotel to the RCCL pier.

Going back to the airport from the pier on Sunday, we got a cab for 8 people and 9 pieces of luggage and the guy charged us $16 plus $2.50 for an extra person plus $.50 for the first three pieces of luggage and $1 for each extra piece after that for a total of $26. We paid him an extra $20 to give a driving tour of the forts and Old San Juan for about an hour, since we had a lot of time before our flight.

Have a great trip.

Legends,

I appreciate your response and it appears Bayjoens was charged (or quoted) exactly as you described. That said, I would love to find something in writing detailing what you've told us. It seems to me it should be in writing somewhere?

For other readers, I was able to cut and paste everything I found from the Puerto Rico Tourism Company link Legends provided. This is not retyped, it is verbatim.

Taxis are available at the airport, hotels and major tourist points. In the tourism zones, rates are fixed and posted. Outside the zones, taxis are metered and can be hired by the hour.

Fixed rates - Tourist zones:

Airport / Isla Verde - $8.00

Airport / Condado / Miramar - $12.00

Airport / Pier Area in Old San Juan - $16.00

Piers / Old San Juan - $6.00

Piers / Condado / Miramar - $10.00

Piers / Isla Verde - $16.00

Piers / Plaza Las Américas Shopping Mall - $12.00

Piers / Plaza Carolina Shopping Mall - $20.00

Piers 1, 4, 6 & Navy Frontier / El Morro - $6.00

Panamerican Piers / El Morro - $10.00

The flyer Vanessa provided me does list the same exact "Zone Rates" listed above, except the wording above is easier to read. None of the "Zones" on Vanessa's flyer (Welcome to Puerto Rico/Bienvenidos A Puerto Rico) mentions "Panamerican Piers or El Morro" ... but there is a zone that is listed at $10 (Zone 6), so that seems to make sense now.

It would be nice to get something in writing regarding your statements:

"The zone rates covers a maximum of 5 passengers per vehicle regardless of the size. Additional passengers pays a $1.00 each." AND; "The first 3 luggages are 50 cents each, for a total of $1.50. Additional luggage would be a $1 each."

The reason I ask is because your comment; "This flyer is missing the luggage fare for the Tourist Zones." ... is incorrect. My flyer clearly states that two pieces of luggage are included in the Zone rate and additional pieces are .50 cents each for the Tourist Zones.

Also your statement:

"If you give to the driver your hand bags or back back he will charge for handling and storage." I totally agree and understand this ... The one woman who was charged for her purse ... It was a large purse, but she never intended to put it in storage and the same for the two boys who had backpacks. Again, it didn't sound right at the time but it really wasn't a big deal ... so we just paid.

Bayjoens - You said you still had your receipt?! I did not keep my receipt. Does the receipt now spell out the "max of 6 people" and the luggage surcharges? If yes, maybe I can have the Puerto Rico Tourism Company send me a copy of a blank receipt and I'll be all set!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

Kim

Archived