Tween on Alaskan cruise-which cruise line???

babydoc71

We are planning our bucket list Alaskan cruise for June 2015. I had originally booked w/ disney but since we will be diamond members with RCCL/Celebrity would prefer the perks on this line and will cancel Disney. My question-this will be my 11 yo 12th cruise. He is an only child and favorite part of cruising for him is meeting friends and hanging out (as opposed to hanging with his less cool parents:eek:)

I would prefer Celebrity Solstice over Royal's Jewel of the seas, but want to make sure enough kids to satisfy my son or else I will hear "I am bored" and I may jump overboard. Any ideas/thoughts you have would be helpful. Thanks

There are typically plenty of kids on board Alaskan cruises, especially mid-summer. Alaska is more about itinerary than ship, so check out the itineraries and see which suits your needs better. Neither of these cruise lines will get you to Glacier Bay, so if that's a priority, you might want to consider other lines. I have really enjoyed Princess and my daughter had a wonderful time on our Alaskan cruise when she was 12. Taking the kids again in ONE WEEK! :D

Edited by sherryf

My 13 year old was bored on Celebrity this time. It used to be his favorite line until he made the leap to the Teen Program- which he just isn't as interested in because he probably thinks it's lame. It's the age. Your 11 year old will have fun on Celebrity though. That age group 9-11 is really is still interested in the youth activities and I wouldn't hesitate to do Celebrity with an 11 year old.

Once he gets a bit older, I think he will prefer NCL actually. My son loved the Norwegian Pearl. It was more family oriented and fun for the 13 and up crowd.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain