Papeete market place question

coconutmonkey

Can anyone tell me if there is much to see at the Papeete marketplace? We have an overnight and full day there and I was thiniking of spending our full day there. Are the shops expensive? Are there food trucks during the day in the marketplace? Any recommendations for inexpensive food truck/restaurants? Any other things I should do or see during the day? Thanks

Can anyone tell me if there is much to see at the Papeete marketplace? We have an overnight and full day there and I was thiniking of spending our full day there. Are the shops expensive? Are there food trucks during the day in the marketplace? Any recommendations for inexpensive food truck/restaurants? Any other things I should do or see during the day? Thanks

The area around the Le Marche (6 block area) is all nice shopping. There are inexpensive places to eat in and around that area. French items are cheaper than what you would pay state side for the same thing, items from other countries tend to be more expensive as the import taxes are high.

Pearls (seconds), vanilla, jams and local south pacific soaps/creams are cheap and make nice gifts

The Papeete market is worth a visit. It's interesting to see the locals selling a variety of items. You can try fresh coconut, buy food, local crafts and specialty items (black pearls, pareos, woven handbags, vanilla).

The market offers fresh fruit, vegetables, fish, meat, etc. There is also an area where you can buy warm food (lunch).

I found the vanilla beans on sale at the market to be a good price. I also liked the local handmade shell jewelry, which is great for a souvenir or gifts!

Downtown Papeete offers shopping and art galleries. You can find items like black pearl jewelry, pareos (swimming cover ups), woven handbags, and vanilla. The Vaima Shopping Center offers some chic boutiques and a pearl museum.

Get away from the city and you can find lots of things to do on Tahiti... surf in the south, take an island drive to view waterfalls, a black sand beach, visit the Paul Gauguin Museum or James Norman Hall Museum, discover a blowhole, visit the botanical garden, swim in a grotto cave, visit the Paofai Temple of Papeete, hike Aorai Mountain, fish for Mahi Mahi, kayak in a lagoon, drive a go-kart, horseback ride, take a quad ride, and more!

The food trucks located near the cruise ship port are only open in the evenings.

Enjoy Tahiti! :)

Denise Blackmore, MCC

Also if you are looking for black pearls it's worth the long walk to the Robert Wan store and museum. Also I always buy flowers at the marketplace before a cruise. They are spectacular!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app