!*! FREEDOM !*! Southern Caribbean 6/22/14 -Heavy on photos of 2.0 upgrades & menu

CleveCruiser

Day 5: June 26 - Curaçao

8:30 – Up for day at 8:30. Finally sleeping better!

9:00 – Lido deck for breakfast (omelet station).

10:30 – Stateroom balcony. First ever dolphins sighting off of our balcony!!!! Making plans for Curaçao.

Can you see the dolphins? Don't try to hard, by the time I got the camera - - they were gone :(

DSC03743_zpsb8dfb444.jpg

12:40 – tied off.

DSC03776_zps9f64611b.jpg

1:00 – Lido deck for lunch. If you have never had Guys, there are a lot of choices to make... Here to help is the ordering board. (no cheese takes just a minute or two extra)

DSC03739_zps962272d9.jpg

DSC03790_zpsb97e2b03.jpg

DSC03789_zps9853af18.jpg

1:45 – Heading off ship, deck zero. Meet Irie, East Side, tour.

2:00 – Tour Bus. Easy to find Irie tours. They are right at the end of the pier. There were two people waving signs and a few people with Irie shirts on. Waited a bit for some for some stragglers! Our guide was Sylvian or Sylvan(sp?). A genuinely friendly, and nice person; and a knowledgeable guide. He speaks four languages. He spoke English and Spanish for guests, about 27 on this bus. He provided us with drinks as we waited for the rest of the tour bus to fill.

For the price, Irie is an amazing deal. An informative tour of the east side; Sylvan would slow down or pause for photo opportunities (even if cars behind him beeped/honked!). He knew the area very well, I think he knew someone at every street corner and beeped and waved! He went out of his way to ensure we had an enjoyable, informative tour.

This is taken from the tour bus, looking back at ship. Very easy to book Irie, very easy to find.

DSC03791_zps7ae1835a.jpg

Looking out the tour bus window to the channel that separates the Punda side from the Otrabanda side. You can see the Queen Emma bridge in the distance.

DSC03838_zpsb31dbec6.jpg

Colorful school building.

DSC03990_zps05d6ca16.jpg

I personally did not care too much about the distillery, but it is informative and I learned some things about the making of Curacao liqueur and the island’s history. Sylvan made it clear we would be there 15-20 minutes, one couple did not come out for 40 minutes and we all had to wait (not his fault). Even after we left, we had to stop because two MORE people were even later (their fellow travelers had told Sylvan to go on, that they had met up with someone else). An FYI, Prices for the Curacao liqueur were cheaper here than anywhere else we saw.

DSC03933_zpsbf839e42.jpg

Heading into the sampling area and gift shop.

DSC03930_zpsbc435a84.jpg

Friendly distillery staff

P6260440_zps8244a615.jpg

Our tour guide: Sylvan

DSC03935_zpsad137963.jpg

Colorful retirement homes.

DSC03921_zpse4a589db.jpg

The beautiful detailing of the "Wedding cake house"

DSC03913_zpsf3d3c734.jpg

So many beautiful homes....

DSC03899_zpsbcb0d136.jpg

DSC03893_zps163b5064.jpg

What we learned was Salt/Wall cancer; the leaching out of salt from the sand/sea stone that was used to build these beautiful homes.

DSC03874_zpsb7f6fad0.jpg

We learned that there is no new construction of these homes in the city, that the government will help subsidize renovation, as much as 70% of cost.

DSC03867_zps7bd29925.jpg

Cemetary, with some beautiful carvings.

DSC03995_zpsb8cda0dd.jpg

A sculpture by Yubi Kirindongo at the art museum (unique for his use of car bumpers in his artwork).

DSC03859_zps83defb55.jpg

The shopping district that everyone likes to photograph!

DSC03813_zps4984c96b.jpg

Queen Emma Bridge

DSC03808_zps490dc443.jpg

4:15 - The Sea Aquarium Beach was crowded, we were on the late tour. There is a bar about every 10 feet, if you want! The beach was nice with a diving platform in the middle. We did not plan on swimming and caught up on things with the free wi-fi, home, romantic interests, and the world cup, from shaded seating. We never did figure out just where the actual Sea Aquarium was, but there was enough things to do in the time we had. There is a lot of construction going on. If I was going to Curaçao just for a beach, I would not go to this one, too crowded; unless you enjoy the bar/music scene. We are more of a nature loving, gorgeous vista viewing, family.

DSC03949_zps5329d250.jpg

The diving platform

DSC03968_zpsc2320b62.jpg

It is a narrow, populated beach...

DSC03956_zps47a5d18f.jpg

A dreamy choco-carmo-moca-y kind of drink...

DSC03955_zpsdd7a2edc.jpg

These little birds were everywhere; can you spot it?

DSC03951_zps88decce9.jpg

A different part of the beach, you can see the wall which protects the bay

Sea_Aquarium_Beach_zps93009121.jpg

Back on the bus, heading toward the pier. More drink passed around freely.

IMG_0004_zpsa1086648.jpg

IMG_0003_zps58862390.jpg

5:15 - They dropped us off at the Rift Fort area with plenty of time to shop at the pier. (FYI: We found many of the items sold here on Aruba for less money.)

DSC04011_zps89110ff6.jpg

The path from Rift Fort to the dock is the perfect picture taking spot....

DSC04028_zpsd2100324.jpg

DSC04020_zps079d161a.jpg

Here are some things we learned on the tour....Skim over if you want :D ! It was an interesting tour.

>Each resident learns four languages; Papiamento, Dutch, English, and Spanish.

>Yubi Kirindongo is a world wide known artist who lives in Curaçao who creates art out of car bumpers.

>There was a large Jewish influence in Curaçao .

>No new construction is allowed in town; only renovation.

>Government helps to cover cost of restoration; as much as 70%.

>Wall or salt cancer is the white scaly stuff on buildings. The “concrete” was made from sea rocks and sea sand; and the salt leaches out. They need to repaint every two years to cover it up.

>Why is Curaçao so colorful? The Governor claimed all the sun bouncing off white paint aggravated his headaches so he mandated people paint their homes colors; turned out the governor was a major shareholder in the paint factory!

>So long ago slaves came through Curaçao via the West Indian trading company.

>The “wedding cake house” has the face of the builders bride in the posts.

>Curaçao liqueur is the result of fermenting the laraha fruit, which was brought to curacao to be eaten, like a Valencia orange, but did not do well, and tasted too bitter.

>White stone quarry is mined for construction

>Many Dutch retired here

>$100-$300,000 homes are for sale in upcoming the Jan Theil area.

>There is only a 0.3% chance of hurricane hitting Curaçao; so many people with sailboats like to live/retire here.

5:30 – Port. Back on ship. Showers (spa again). Requested the towel monkey from Andreas…must have been hard for him because we found the towel folding book left on the bed, so sweet that he did it for us. We gave him an extra tip for that.

Walked around for a bit on “secret deck” on 10.

6:45 – Chic Dining Room. Dinner. The steak knives ARE magnetic. Guess what…I forced everyone to wait again while I snapped food shots…

DSC04033_zpsa7b53cb8.jpg

Fire roasted chicken in sesame dressing; this was soooo good, it should be a main dish.

DSC04038_zps90123eeb.jpg

Gaspacho blanco

DSC04041_zps48bdf7e4.jpg

Beef Carpaccio

DSC04035_zpscba4caad.jpg

Magnetic steak knives (the one on the left)

DSC04043_zps6cbda638.jpg

MDR day 5 dessert menu

DSC04049_zps4d239943.jpg

white chocolate bread pudding

DSC04054_zps062cf10d.jpg

almond date cake

DSC04053_zps37a3be1c.jpg

chocolate cake

DSC04052_zps3c6a0014.jpg

Our towel monkey

DSC04058_zps0bbb85c0.jpg

9:00 – off ship again for night shots.

Had to try to take a night shot; it is pretty unique for me to be at a night port:

DSC04075_zps2aabde30.jpg

9:30 – Pixel gallery. Review/choose pictures w/photographer Ivaylo.

10:00 – Victoriana. Hypnotist show with Peter Gross. Some things he told the “victims” were to only count by saying 1-3-5-6-7-8-9-10; then he asked them to count their fingers and they could not understand why they had 12 fingers. He had them forget their name every time they stood up, but remember it when they sat down. To act like they were in a gunfight and dying a slow death. Very funny stuff.

11:30 – Victoriana lounge. Had a hilarious conversation with one of our party who was hypnotized. Then off to Lido for snack!

Wouldn’t you know it…a certain waiter ( you know who ) was busing the Lido deck. He came over to talk for a minute and regaled again with some stories of when he is at home drinking with friends, he pretends it is water and then he does not get drunk.

12:40 – Stateroom. In bed.

We are sailing on the freedom in december and i am just wondering where this secret deck is...and how do i get to it?

Go all the way forward on Deck 6 or 7. There is a doorway leading outside on both sides of the ship that will take you to the very front, below the bridge. It can get VERY windy out there!

It is not really a secret, but is not usually busy either. At night time, you can get a better view of the stars from there.

Hi. Loving your review and all your photos! Not sure if you know this or if it's just me but I cannot see the pics in posts 115, 116, and 131 - 135. Can't wait to read the rest and look at all your beautiful pics!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We went to the "secret deck" for the first time on this cruise. I told my husband I was going to show him the secret door. A couple of the workers copied that. We were there as we were coming into a port.

The dive in blankets were at the same place that you get extra towels. (The little shack by the pool).

It's nice to see what other people did on our cruise.

Doesn't it seem like a long time ago since we cruised?

I never met you on the cruise but I am enjoying your review now.

We are sailing on the freedom in december and i am just wondering where this secret deck is...and how do i get to it?

At the front of the ship, on deck 10...it looks like it ends in a room, but the hallway splits off and there is a door to .... beautiful vistas! Enjoy.

Hi. Loving your review and all your photos! Not sure if you know this or if it's just me but I cannot see the pics in posts 115, 116, and 131 - 135. Can't wait to read the rest and look at all your beautiful pics!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think I got it fixed, try again?!

We went to the "secret deck" for the first time on this cruise. I told my husband I was going to show him the secret door. A couple of the workers copied that. We were there as we were coming into a port.

The dive in blankets were at the same place that you get extra towels. (The little shack by the pool).

It's nice to see what other people did on our cruise.

Doesn't it seem like a long time ago since we cruised?

I never met you on the cruise but I am enjoying your review now.

Hey! Nice to hear from you!.

I should have tried harder to find the blankets.... We just used towels!

Remembering it on this review is fun, and I still have to scrapbook it!

Keep in touch!

LOVING your review!!! Thanks for taking the time to do it!

I can't stop laughing at your Robert(o) pics, because in my head I hear Bobby Bouche from the Waterboy talking about his daddy- Roberto! He even looks like him!!! He's going to get the dehydration!!!

Thanks again!

Can't wait for you to finish!! Loving this. My fiancé and I are sailing Freedom September 6th, different ports but love to see pictures of the new upgrades!!

P.S. If anyone is on the September 6th Sailing Eastern Caribbean join the roll call!