Can we switch rooms with family on board?

Joniphay

I booked my husband and I in separate rooms to take advantage of special pricing offers that we both had received. I put myself in my moms room to get her a better deal, and saved her several hundred dollars that way. We were unable to get adjoining rooms, and I'm worried about how I will be able to get in the actual room that I'm staying in with my husband since my room key will unlock my moms room. Will they move me into his room once we set sail? If I change it before we leave, my mom will lose the discount. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked my husband and I in separate rooms to take advantage of special pricing offers that we both had received. I put myself in my moms room to get her a better deal, and saved her several hundred dollars that way. We were unable to get adjoining rooms, and I'm worried about how I will be able to get in the actual room that I'm staying in with my husband since my room key will unlock my moms room. Will they move me into his room once we set sail? If I change it before we leave, my mom will lose the discount. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Just go to the Guest Services desk when onboard and have your husband get an extra room key. It won't be a problem.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

There was a post on JH's blog the other day saying cant get more than one room key.

I thought that was odd that he said that. We always book separate rooms for my daughter and we get additional room keys for each other's rooms. Just got back from the Dream 2 weeks ago and did it then. We have been on 19 cruises and never had an issue with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I thought that was odd that he said that. We always book separate rooms for my daughter and we get additional room keys for each other's rooms. Just got back from the Dream 2 weeks ago and did it then. We have been on 19 cruises and never had an issue with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

You can do it, I have done it. Will do it again on my next cruise.

Really, you can't get additional key cards? I swear I just read a recent review where those with multiple cabins got them w/o a problem. We were planning to get an extra key to our room for MIL in case she needs things from our room for our son. I thought you could get them without an S&S account attached.

I think this is the blog post that was referenced: No where does it say you can't have 2 keys.

Lenore Oram asks:

I will be bringing my elderly parents on Carnival Ecstasy. We have cabins R90 and R96. I told your customer service folks that I needed one key that would open both cabin doors so that I can look after my parents but was told no. Why is this? We just stayed last week at the Courtyard by Marriott in Merrillville, IN, and they were happy to do this for me, so why not Carnival? Very disappointed. This has ruined my cruise with you before it has started!

John says:

Hello Lenore Oram

I am glad to see that you and your parents will be sailing with us and I am sure you will have a wonderful time. I am afraid we cannot do this because each door has a different electronic signature and only one can be stored on each key card which is also your Sail & Sign card. Maybe you can just take your mother or father’s card and keep it with you. Please don’t worry and just get ready for lots of fun. Best wishes to you all.

John

Can't you get an extra key card that isn't attached to a S&S account? I have done it before.

Yes you can! We just did it on our 3-day cruise to Mexico this past weekend. The DH and I had to book ourselves in different cabins because the kids have to have someone 25 years of age in their cabins. The DH and I went to guest services and each of us asked for an extra key card (there are no charging privileges on the extra card, it's just a card to open the door). We then gave the DS a key to one cabin that he shared with his friends and we took the other key for the DH to use to get into the cabin that he and I shared. Worked like a charm. No problem, questions, or hassles! :D We had assigned charging privileges for all of us on my credit card. We had to problems with that whatsoever as we told the kids they could charge what they wanted (within reason of course) as long as they let us know after they had done so and to keep their receipts. When we got our bill at the end of the cruise, everyone just gave me the money to pay for their own charges. Not a problem at all. This system works perfectly for us.

Edited by mousey

You sure? What I saw said you couldn't have 1 key open multiple rooms.

Yes, after reading the blog post, I think that is what he meant. One S&S card can only open 1 room. The confusion stems from the fact that John then suggested just using one of the parents' keys rather than getting an additional key.

Yes, after reading the blog post, I think that is what he meant. One S&S card can only open 1 room. The confusion stems from the fact that John then suggested just using one of the parents' keys rather than getting an additional key.

Guess I stand partially corrected than::):)

Twice now we have booked cruises with first timers, the two guys together and the two gals together, so they were able to benefit from our Past Guest rates. Upon embarkation, we all went right to Guest Services, explained who was to be in which room, handed our S&S cards to the people behind the desks, and watched as the cards were swiped to reprogram them appropriately. Transactions took mere minutes. We never needed any extra room keys and didn't want any extra room keys.

How would this work with the Cheers program? We booked two rooms, put dad and son in one room because they both want cheers.. We do not, but will want to switch rooms. Does Cheers go with the person? If we switch will they then make the other person buy Cheers too?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure about the cheers program.

We just got back from the DREAM and every cruise including the recent one, we just went to guest services and they gave me an additional card for the room I was changing to, and gave the other party a new room card. No questions asked. The two room cards were not attached to our S & S cards....just let us into the new room. No hassle, no problem.

How would this work with the Cheers program? We booked two rooms, put dad and son in one room because they both want cheers.. We do not, but will want to switch rooms. Does Cheers go with the person? If we switch will they then make the other person buy Cheers too?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When your husband moves to your room, his Cheers will come with him. You will not have to purchase it.

When we booked the above-mentioned cruises, my DH had stockholder obc. When he moved to my cabin both times the obc came with him.

Edited by stargate fan